Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Spending Time!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm considering what new equipment to buy, I'm planning on buying CD decks for timecode control plus CD back-up for semi mobile gigs (DJ gear but not soundsystem, such as bars), I also need a soundcard in order to use timecode, aswell as a nice case to place my whole set-up into.

Considering a pair of the following CD decks:
Pioneer - CDJ200's (Nice effects)
Pioneer - CDJ800's MK2 (Industry standard)
Numark - ICDX (direct VDJ control)
Numark - CDX
Denon - DN-S3500 (Feature rich/Nice looks)

Combined with a soundcard for timecode:
Hercules DJ console MK2 (more tempting than a standalone soundcard)
U46DJ (noticeably better sound than the Herc for timecode?)

I should be ordering soon but my I can't make up my mind on which units to buy, I've even (much to my own surprise) considered TCV, but the set back there is that I don't own a single vinyl, and neither do I intend to start collecting Vinyl, and this doesn't cut it as I need a solid back-up system incase my laptop should fail at a gig.

So I figured I'd share my dilemma with you guys so you can help me decide better, you'll have noticed that units I listed vary quite largely in price, this is because I have no set price range and believe each of the listed items are high quality for their price, but sure money matters! and that's why I want to buy the right equipment the first time.

Any suggestions are welcome :).

Posted Sat 27 May 06 @ 11:21 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Well.. if you already have mixer, i won't say anything about them :)

But for decks... ICDX and nothing else ;)

Posted Sun 28 May 06 @ 12:48 am
Hi Bagpuss,

I bought 2 Denon DNS 3500 and 1 ESI U46DJ 3 weeks ago. So, I am very satisfied and take pleasure in mixing with VDJ.
I have chosen the Denon CD players for the advanced features and the active spinning platter.

Regards, Laurent

Posted Sun 28 May 06 @ 12:58 am
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Bagpuss,

You can't go wrong with one of the following two: Numark - CDX or Denon - DN-S3500. I own a pair of Numark CDX and I'm very happy with them. The CDX may not have all the nice features that Denon offers, but if you're looking for that real vinyl feeling, CDX is definitely the way to go. Now, if mobility is a priority, you may be better off with the Denons. The CDX's are real monsters and will give your back a nice workout.... but I guess you can always have your roadie move the gear for you.

Posted Sun 28 May 06 @ 1:14 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I vote for:
Numark - ICDX (direct VDJ control via midi, cd and mp3 playback, usb hdd)
Numark - CDX (cd, Mp3 playback with new firmware, most important > Motorised Platter!!!)
CDX are big for sure, around 9Kg, but it is so nice to see that REAL vinyl spinning!
Hope this helps! Go for it Bren ;) !

Posted Sun 28 May 06 @ 7:44 am
Hi guys,
I'm so surprised you didn't all tell me to go for the Pioneer 800's, as they were the units I was edging towards, so now you've thrown a spanner in the works! :).

The Denons are cool and all but very pricey, the CDX is a better price but as you said it's very big/heavy, whilst the ICDX has not been released yet and imo it looks a bit toyish. The CDJ200's are great for the price but the platter is small and scratch is not featured.

Keep the opinions comming guys.

Posted Sun 28 May 06 @ 11:38 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
maybe icdx really looks toyish, but you have everything you will ever need and expect from controller/player :)

Denon really looks good and they are really great cd-players. Pioneer 800 are quite old product in comparison to denon's or numark's product. I think you can expect even more functions with icdx than with 3500 of denon. The only thing that i am missing at icdx is spinning platter ;)

If Numark made ICDX with moving platter i would buy them today :D

Posted Sun 28 May 06 @ 11:46 am
Yea I agree there, the ICDX might prove better than expectations, but it's not out yet so it probably means waiting for a couple of weeks for some independant user reviews, the lack of an active platter shouts "Digital media player" rather than "Vinyl emulation" which puts this product in the same basket as the CDJ200's etc in terms of the practical feel.

when I said CDJ800's I meant the NEW MK2's, which features MP3, nicer looks and more features borrowed from the 1000mk2's, the CDJ 800/1000 units don't offer the thrills and spills of Denons or Numark but they are notorious for great Vinyl emulation and ulitimately for being a solid CD deck.

Posted Sun 28 May 06 @ 12:14 pm
Hi Bagpuss
The only way to decide is to try them out for your self and see which you prefer as every one has their own prefs i have the sldz1200 and use them all the time and would never give them up but lots of people hate them. so you decide !

Posted Sun 28 May 06 @ 12:18 pm
Phatt BPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey Guys, I know this forum is a bit old, but I came across it when i was searching for something on the Pioneer 800's. I read this thread, and looked into some of the decks, just for fun. Well on the comment about the iCDX not having a spinning platter, I got this from Store DJ:

"Touch-sensitive scratch wheel"
and also:

"seamless looping, and |scratching|, the compact iCDX offers DJs a higher level of control for playing
music."
I put the lines around the scratching word, so dosent this mean it has vinyl emulation?? and it is not just a media player? or am I wrong?

Phatt B

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 2:00 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The platter on iCDX appears to be just like the axis 9 (and xp10). I've used both, and in my opinion, if you're a scratch DJ looking for the traditional feel...they just don't cut it.

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 3:07 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i think your best off with the 3500's, they have mp3 support and spinning platter. The pioneers are coll but the new version are too expensive and dont add much to the older model except mp3's
and for a soundcard i would probably pick a U46DJ

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 4:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)