Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Pitch adjustment when playing in a club.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is it just me or is it boring playing music at a slow pitch, i.e.(0). I don't even get psyched up when playing at zero. I mostly take it up to at least +5 when playing Hip Hop, which is what I play most of the time. Does anybody else do this and if so, where do u usually set it when playing in a club?

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 8:07 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Actually every song is made to play at 0% of pitch ;) So for real and original sound you need 0%. I never rise up it more than 6% and never the whole song when playing in club. Remixes are usually faster, but if you play original song, people will notice the pitch. Ok 5% is not so much. Sometimes you can help to make a song (and crowd of scourse) much better / happier, but you can't play all songs at 5% of pitch ;)

hip hop music is variable, so you can rise pitch, but never try on rock/pop ;)

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 10:07 am
By the way Xeon, like your setup. We use the same mixer. Yeah, I never play a whole song in the club either , but sometimes I usually find myself soo much in the mood (so is the crowd) at like 10+ pitch. So i'm kinda confused. What do you do when this happens? That's if it's happened to you.

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 10:25 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Thanks for comment ;)

Everytime in club i play some songs with even +12% of pitch. I know people like this when they are on power ;) But there are moments that you shpuld play at 0, or maybe a little slower. Depends of time playing it. At the start i always play at 0, then i am going to a little faster songs and some of them i put pitch to +.
Like i said. You really can't play every song faster that it is recorded ;)

Posted Tue 23 May 06 @ 3:45 pm
For regular top 40 songs I rarely go over 3-4 bpms of the normal pitch. For dance music I usually try not to go more than 5-7 bmps over or under the norm for the song. Just because you can pitch a song +12% doesn't mean that you should. That is where the 'art' of mixing comes in. Part of the fun is finding a song that 'fits' into your set, not 'forcing' a song into your set.

DJ Derrick E.
www.djderricke.com
www.myspace.com/djderricke

Posted Fri 02 Jun 06 @ 12:13 am
my friend plays all r&b/hiphop at +3% all the time, really helps to make it sound more punchy i think! (As long as you've got master tempo on, otherwise sounds a bit funny)

Posted Wed 26 Jul 06 @ 1:39 pm
jzafraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree. I usaully kick up HIPHOP songs about 3-5bpms, but not all. I love kicking up reggaeton songs about 5-7bpms and reggae I do about 3-5bpms. To me it just brings more energy it keeps people more excited and gets them wanting to dance more. I just did a party this weekend where I found myself thinking that I had slowed down a song about 3-5bpms by mistake because to me it just sounded so slow but realized I hadn't changed anything, it was playing at 0%. So now whenever I hearcertain song played on the radio, to me they sound chopped and screwed. I can't listen to music the same as everyone anymore. Is that cool or should I be worried?

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 6:23 am

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 10:06 am
i always play hip hop songs +5 bpm

Posted Wed 11 Mar 09 @ 6:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)