Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A word of caution...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
To anybody who keeps all their music on a single hard drive - BUY ANOTHER HARD DISK AND MAKE A BACKUP OF IT! It's something I've been meaning to get around to for ages, and during a gig last night I kicked myself for not doing it - my 300Gb drive has packed up, and I can't get a thing off it. I'm playing in front of 1300 people in 12 hours time, and am now pulling an all-nighter trying to grab mp3s from my CDs, vinyl, mp3 players, computers, old hard disks, internet etc onto a new drive so that I have something to play tonight. My own stupid fault - I should have made a full backup. If you haven't done it yourself yet - DO IT! Believe me, you don't wanna be in the situation that I'm in right now... :-(

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 8:46 am
Yes, you're right!

I had same problem with main HDD and lost lot of info (music, family photos, ...): lucky I had some backups, but many files lost.

It's a cheap cost if you understand what you can loose.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 9:16 am
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
I always have a full copy on a hard-drive that I leave unplugged in my PC. Just in case, I left a little Windows on it too... To prevent a total disk failure in a gig.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 9:59 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
im in almost the same situation. long time ago i used to remove my hdd and walk with it coz i used to go to 2 other locations that had high speed internet and i used those computers like mine. these days the hdd is slow. its slow to the point of crushing the pc. im gonna buy another hdd and move/copy the files before i lose all 100GB.

lesson learned>> dont move ur hdd. its very delicate and made of moving parts. dont move ur computer place to place if u dont have to. keep the hdd flat or 90 degrees only.
with me i used to keep it in my pocket and stuff like that but now im paying the price. kinda like someone who didnt care about what they ate and health complications catching up with them in thier old age.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 4:14 pm
TotyoHome userMember since 2006
I am writing my 7th DVD...

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 5:56 pm
Since day 1 of DJing with laptop, I have *always* carried a primary hard drive and a backup. This just seems like a no-brainer to me.

I've also always carried a spare laptop, which came in handy a few weeks ago when my gig laptop would not power up before a gig.

If you have never had an equipment failure, you have not been DJing long enough. You will. Trust me.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 6:47 pm
I always back up all my files to external hard drive.Still this is sound advice for members who think it wont happen to them.Be safe and do it soon everyone.
Regards
pfitzgerald........manchester..UK...........

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 1:15 am
@ djsherz

Very sorry to hear, must be a pain...

I will backup my harddrive RIGHT NOW

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 1:27 am
2 X HD's (synced) and a couple of backup MP3 CD's should get you through any laptop or HDD failure. Works for me! :-)

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 1:40 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
What a bitch! Sorry to hear mate... I'm lucky enough not to have had that problem yet. What would hurt me more is if my laptop/pc drive died. Go the old school method!!!

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 2:52 am
I feel your pain.
I actually came across a similar situation many years ago and have practice the art of backing up data of since.

This is what I do and maybe it will help many others out there.

First I have a PC I use as a Audio/Video Workstation with a Raid 5 set up. For those who don't know what a Raid 5 arrary is.. well it is complicated. But the short answer is it allows you to set up several hard drives of the same size to make a capacity that will be as big as you want (or can afford). It also has it were everything is pretty much safe. For example I currently have 3 400gig sata drives set up in a Raid 5 which is actually giving me a capacity of 749gigs. If one drive fails, I simply replace the faulty drive and the data is still safe. My current Raid card (3ware 9500s-12mi) allows me to connect up to 12 drives if I want to. So eventually I can have over 4 terabytes of safe storage. Now keep in mind this is my home base machine. My portable systems have large 500gig drives in them for all the video and music I use. Here is were it matters. I use the windows briefcase feature to sync up the master copies on my main home workstation to my portable systems. Everytime I add or modify any music or videos I can update all machines that are using the briefcases. For example I can add lets say 10 new music videos in various folders that cover several genres or whatever. As long as I have the parent folder as the briefcase I can hook up my portable machine to the home network and simply press update. It will add the 10 new tracks and I can leave with the same library I have at home or any other machine that is using the briefcase feature. It is the most effective way to back up your precious libraries. NEVER take your master copies out.

Hope this helps anyone and not confuses most...

-- btw.. I am total computer geek when it comes to this... but I know first hand how important one's music/video library is.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 3:41 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I had same problem with my secondary HDD in the past too: mechanical problem so impossible to get the data back. Now i know: always 1 or 2 backups and trust me i used them recently

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 8:42 pm
I prefer to have a backup on another hard disk instead of cd's / dvd's. Copying data from dvd to a (new) harddisk will take forever (I have about 400G). So I have 2 disks with the same data on both, for normal backup
I have backups of my collection on dvd and I don't have stored them at home. I have a 208 disk wallet at my dads house. In case of fire or thieves, I always have another copy.
Ewout

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 9:11 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi folks, thanks for the kind words of support! Some good advice there too, it's certainly given me some food for thought, especially the windows briefcase (didn't know it existed!) and keeping a backup somewhere other than my home address...

Posted Fri 28 Apr 06 @ 7:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)