Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Going Pro

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm keen to explore the possibilities of taking my DJing further but need a couple questions answered.

What would I need to do to become a professional user? I read that I would need to pass a number of 'mixing tests', but what exactly would this contain?

Also...Do I need any kind of license to DJ at a club or bar? Or could I literally turn up with my laptop at a club and plug that bad boy in. I read on the net that MP3 DJ's need a license to play their MP3's but does that apply to ALL music, as the vast majority of the tunes I play aren't signed or accredited to record labels.

Big up the virtual DJ crew

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 12:07 am
To become a professional user you simply have to purchase the full version of the software. As you already have the DJ Console Mk2 you will receive a discount should you wish to upgrade. If you do upgrade you open the doors to timecoded vinyls amongst other features.

If you live in the UK and DJ with a laptop present you need to buy a license but I'm not sure how this works in other countries.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 12:43 am
But what does the upgrade give me? timecoded vinyls? Probably need to research the license thing seeing as I live in UK.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 4:40 pm
@ Richard Shafe

Your first decision is to decide what kind of DJ you want to be. Example: Mobile DJ, Club DJ, etc…. Regardless of your DJing choice, you should get the “PRO” version VDJ so you can DJ like a “PRO.” Using the “Home Edition” for “Going Pro” is UNPROFESSIONAl!

OO

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 6:59 pm

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 8:16 pm
Unless you plan to use fullscreen video or timecoded vinyl or cds, the home edition that comes with the Hercules DJ Console MK2 is more than adequate. However, if you upgrade to the professional version you will have access to various plugins and will be eligible for customer support. Other features include being able to request a slot on Virtual DJ radio if you fancy it.

At the moment it will cost you roughly £60 (may have been £70 with VAT, don't remember sorry) to upgrade to Virtual DJ professional after using the MK2 discount. It's possibly against the EULA to play out publicly with the Home Edition you currently possess, in which case you would have to upgrade but I've seen no evidence of this.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 8:24 pm
Hi
Good luck as you plan to become a pro DJ. In the UK you might want to consider getting a digital dj license if you are going to work and be paid as a dj. An easy article can be found at the link below. The article gives a link to the sites where you can buy a license.

http://www.djmag.com/newsfeat173.php

I think it is important to point out that you need to own the tracks you play, ie you need to have the vinyl, cd or paid for download track. Building up a collection takes some time, but with a lot of stuff on sale on Ebay it's easier than before.

If I was starting again I'd buy VDJ because it is so versatile.

good gigging

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 9:25 pm
Thanks for comments people.....sounds like there is some research to be done!

Posted Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 12:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)