Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Just Joined

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I just joined the fourm. I been spinng for 28 yrs. Started digtal djing 6yrs ago when finalscratch was owned by a N2It. Now I am using Serato.

I skimmed though here and I see alot of hating on Serato. I used Virtaul Dj. I feel its geared for more of the dj that is only wants to carry just a lappy no cds or vinyl more like the wedding dj. I am sure there are dj's here that rock the crowd with the vinyl of Virtual. But I find reaction time on the software needs vast improvement. reading the track on the fly is not a good thng. You would want the track to load instantlyso you can start the next mix. I havent gone indepth as yet but there should be a a feature to anylze your tracks before hand. Plus Virtual doesnt have the marketing like Serato/Rane(ie Grandmaster Flash ?uest Love Jazzy Jeff Frankle Feliecano. Alot of europe market wont accept serato why I dont know.

Also they should develop a MAC software for Virtual. I am a PC and MAC user. Overall MAc has become PC. But OS is made from UNIX whcih is stable over all. Thats was finalscratch down fall switching to windows and bad PR

Posted Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 7:48 am
Been a dj for 38 years. Have not used vinyl since 90'. The last 3 years I have been using software. I touch a cd every now & then, to rip. I have been there and done that. I work in a club and have a mobile business. You have got to be kidding about reaction time. You do not have to wait for the whole track to load, before playing. You can start as soon as you hit load. What kind of reaction time do get with picking up a record, putting it on the table, picking up the tone arm, finding the spot on the record. Lets not even talk about how long it takes a cd. You can and should analyze your tracks before hand. But the real deal is, I was a great dj before any of this stuff was even invented. The equipment does not make the dj, the dj makes the equipment. As far as SSL hating, I would not know. I have never used it, but know about it. It does not offer enough possibilities for me, at this time. I use what works for me, not what some other dj uses. If you need to know more about this software, you have come to the right place for help.

Posted Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 8:59 am
bdamagePRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am also new here. Just saw this topic at the top and decided not to make a new one for myself. Although I really like the hands on feel of vinyl I have been dabbling with software lately. I made my first virtual mix of some of my favorite electronic tracks of all time with Virtual Dj. I think it turned out really well and it's nice to have uses for those mp3s especially when you dont have the song you want on vinyl. Feeback appreciated:

http://www.polychromaticrecords.com/polychromatic/polychromatic's%20'intricate%20dream%20mechanics'%20mix%20(160kbps).mp3

(also html linking for a nub is welcome)

Posted Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 9:27 am
bdamagePRO InfinityMember since 2006
nevermind it linked itself. lol

Posted Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 9:28 am
If you are implying that only scratching is being a DJ, you are sadly mistaken. I have been a DJ for 26 years and scratching or whatever you are using serato for is a small niche in being a DJ. My definition of being a DJ is being able to pack the dancefloor and having the customers having an ejoyable time using whatever style of playing music that gets that result with professional equipment.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 3:25 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Seconded! Seems to be a common misconception, especially with the new breed "bedroom" crowd. I've lost count of the number of times i've been working in a venue, when some sneering punter comes up to inform you that you're not a proper DJ because you're not using vinyl. Oh, and they've got a set of decks at home, and they could do your job so much better. Sound familiar?

No, I'm not having a pop at all bedroom DJs, course not. Most of the time, it doesn't matter whether or not you can mix, your average crowd rarely notices a good mix anyway. It certainly doesn't matter what format you use to play your music. Before technology, before fancy mixing, it's about what you play, and when you play it. Better to fade the last song out and the next one in if the crowd enjoy the music, than to perform a perfectly mixed set of music they hate!

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 5:24 am
I have to agree with a man and his music where he says " You have got to be kidding about reaction time. You do not have to wait for the whole track to load, before playing. You can start as soon as you hit load. What kind of reaction time do get with picking up a record, putting it on the table, picking up the tone arm, finding the spot on the record. Lets not even talk about how long it takes a cd." and " But the real deal is, I was a great dj before any of this stuff was even invented. The equipment does not make the dj, the dj makes the equipment." If you do not have the knack or are not willing to learn from us old time pros (lots and tons of new ones too) then you will never be what they call "GOOD" DJ.

And that brings me to kamakuakane and djsherz.

kamakuakane says "....only scratching is being a DJ, you are sadly mistaken.....scratching or whatever you are using....is a small niche in being a DJ....definition of a DJ is being able to pack the dancefloor.....the customers having an ejoyable time using whatever style of playing music that gets that result...."

djsherz says " Seconded! Seems to be a common misconception....working in a venue....some sneering punter comes up to inform you that you're not a proper DJ because you're not using vinyl....they've got a set of decks....they could do your job so much better..."
and "It doesn't matter what format you use to play your music.....it's about what you play, and when you play it. Better.....the crowd enjoys the music, than to perform a perfectly mixed set of music they hate!"

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/39174/General_Discussion/5_simple_rules_to_being_a_GOOD_D_J_.html?highlight=5%20rules%20to%20being%20a%20good%20dj

This is a link to what another guy wrote who is a pro. Its 100% true. He wrote the five rules. I wrote everything else. He was right on the money and if all the newcommers who think they know it all would read this and then try to learn from the other "PRO DJs" here they would end up loving this work so much more than they do now. And of course this is all just my opinion.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 7:14 am
Hi All

Great to see all these posts from long standing DJs like me. I started in 1973 with home made gear and though technology has changed it is the music that matters most. Plus, being able to talk to people with respect, create an atmosphere with voice and chat, be firm when needed, and all that.

Ever since I first started I've been pained by wannabees who criticise the gear I am using. I remember one night in 1974 when I got criticised by a guy for not using headphones for cueing all the time. In those days my eyesight was A1 and I could cue by sight on vinyl and partly by the feel through the deck. Later on I got the same criticism from a guy who couldn't understand that I was cuing by looking at a needle meter on the mixer to show the start of the track. Now, if I get one, I just politely suggest that maybe they should go and get a gig, if they are really DJs.

We will always get this, and those of us who have put bread on the table for our families by djing - put up with the dodgy people we sometimes come across, but rejoiced with the great crowds we have inspired know what it's about.

Maybe we should have a veteran DJ club. What would we call it? My Son suggested "Grumpy old DJs". What do you think?

Good gigging,

Andy

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 10:37 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Sounds like a plan! Would love to see some pics of that old homemade rig as well... ;-)

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 2:01 pm
guys, notice that the thread starter has not responded in some days. it is not always worth answering some posts. we have a lot of the same conversations i.e. about whats a real dj or if vDJ is better than the rest. All of the true vDJ'ers already know the answers to those points. interesting how the thread starter is ready to condemn vDJ without knowing the 1st thing about how it works.... it sounds like he spent all of 5 minutes with it and then posts comments. I think we all know that Serato, FS and PCDJ are way behind vDJs capabilities. ... just ask all the prior users of those solutions who are now vDJ users.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 3:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)