Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Superstar DJ Pete Tongs review of Virtual DJ with Hercules controller

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Featured on Gadget TV:

(from the review featured in print version)
Recently, Suzi went to visit DJ Pete Tong. We've seen a whole load of digital DJing packages appearing recently and thought we'd go to the best DJ we could find to try them out and tell us if any of them are any good.

(the part about VDJ:)
Next we set up Pete with the Hercules DJ Control mp3 deck.
This has a physical deck which plugs into your PC to access your music files, but also has quite a few tricks of its own.

The longer he used it, the more impressed Pete became with the features on the Hercules, especially with its range of samples and effects. Maybe it still falls short of the ultra expensive digital kit Pete usually uses, but he was mighty impressed and reckoned this was exactly the sort of thing any budding DJ should be cutting their teeth on.

(thanx to bren & TopHouse for this)

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 6:29 pm
now, imagine he had timecode or xp10 instead of Hercules... ;)))) he would prob be lot more impressed then ;)

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 6:39 pm
HaywardPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Make this a sticky.

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 7:33 pm
done:)

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 7:53 pm
and some pics of one of the Worlds very best djs + Virtual DJ + Hercules controller:

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 8:02 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
More so, imagine he was using the incredible new sound engine of Virtual DJ 4, perhaps he would be convinced enough to hook it up to his CDJ's ;).

I must confess Pete is one of my favourite DJ's :), this is good news, although the gadget show implies funky new gadgets for the home to impress the neighbours, Hercules is that, but the Mk2 especially has A place in Pro settings, it's very functional and powerful for it's size and price.

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 8:04 pm
Good post! Why he didn't try timecoded Vinyls? Just a peek on "Dj Get Down" video will make his world a whole new place..... hehe :) !

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 1:38 am
Wait until version 4 is released then send Pete an e-mail, to test this version with the Hercules console (or Numark controller if available) and timecode vinyls and cds. Then he could realy be amazed....
Ewout

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 12:42 pm
is he definately using virtual dj though?

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 3:00 pm
yes, according to the users that saw this show broadcasted on TV, he was definitively using vdj ;)

And hercules mk2 only comes with VDJ anyway:)

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 5:58 pm
Cool just no mention in the write up you pasted good to see it starting to get big names noticing the software

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 11:37 pm
dj_cashPRO InfinityMember since 2004
so, Hercules MK2 is good news for VDJ...
I've given my order to a internet-site... will get my Herciules MK2 soon.. :D

Posted Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 5:28 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
it looks like he's using a DJ Control mp3.... not an MK2.

MK2's have significantly higher jog wheels, not the flatter disks pictured (im comparing to the crossfader and volume sliders height)... and mk2's (at least mine and im pretty sure others) dont have that rubber looking border around them.

i don't know why it'd be THAT important, great publicity either way, but it was kinda bugging me.

Posted Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 8:41 pm
"Next we set up Pete with the Hercules DJ Control mp3 deck. "

yes, he's using the mp3 controller version of Hercules, and not the Mk2 model :)

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 12:28 am
If Pete Tong tried the MK2 and TCV...

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 3:36 pm
I'm using the MP# controller. I'm getting progressively better but I've noticed a couple of things:

1. IF you use the Vinyl skin it gives you alittle control for cutting and cueing.
2. Jog wheels can be knocked of sync if you aren't careful...time coded vinyls might offer more control.
3. Crossfader isn't highly accurate but can be manipulated enough and gain controls should have been included on the console.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 6:20 pm
agree on all points;) Hercules is a good beginner controller.. but lacks some at the pro range

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 6:26 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The great thing about the MK2 is that it works good alone (for budget set-ups) and can be combined with a mixer or timecode w/ mixer :), making it upgradable. great value for money imo.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 6:32 pm
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 11:07 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)