Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PCDJFX vs. VDJ - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Pcdj was the first serious dj software and it´s rock solid - I use Vdj and I love it but pcdj is still the winner in some points :
1) better playlist system .
2) small player for prelisten without load
3)Better Bpm detection .. I think : is very bad to have 2 bpm (techno and anymusic) with diferent values ..Atomix said us : "if you have wrong bpm try the other engine" !!! bad very bad ...and somebody said to me : "you can do it manually" hehe ... I have 100.000 songs ...what do u think ???
4)if u want to go to playlist (called waitlist in pcdj) u don´t need to use mouse ...(for drag and drop ) same with search options ..
Vdj is the best NO DOUBT ..I use it everyday at club with vinyls ans I love it , but is good to do a self-criticism to be better -

Posted Wed 05 Apr 06 @ 11:03 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
its good that you followed up your bad points with the obligtory 'VDJ is the best, im just being objective'. Otherwise there is gauranteed to be a flood of people moaning and the thread would get closed:P

Posted Wed 05 Apr 06 @ 11:20 pm
@ Man-Tk

I have to disagree with you on PCDJ having better BPM detection.
First off... When you scan a file in PCDJ for BPM it also scans for volume too. Thus taking more time. PCDJ wasn't always accurate so to edit it using there loop editor for more accuracy was a nightmare. Never worked for me and took too much time with that too. I have found that VDJ has a more accurate detection of BPM's and you CAN SEE THE WAVE FORM!! To correct any questioned BPM's you can easily adjust it using visual aids and the awsome loop feature. PCDJ failed with the that. You know you HAD to scan a file in order to loop it with PCDJ FX. If it was wrong you had to spend all sorts of time trying to correct it. Kind of hard when you are live on the radio or in front of a thousand people entertaining them. Virtual DJ allows you to do it on the fly and is EASILY corrected if need be. PCDJ would write the BPM in its own format too. God forbid you want to try other software to see if it is better. The BPM's wouldn't show up the same. Luckly I have found a formula when naming my files that would included the BPM and other important information. I have been re-encoding everyone of my 100,000 plus files slowly and batch re-tagging them. It strips any BS information written to the file and makes it like new.That along with other obvious feature sold me onto Virtual DJ. VDJ doesn't corrupt your MP3's by writting its own BS to the file. With PCDJ the MP3's would act crazy and sometimes they would end like 2 or 4 seconds early. I used to do a radio broadcast for like 3 years at a club and some songs I would let play to the end. If it ended early people would look at me like "WTF?!?" and the people listening would say the same I imagine. It would also read the incorrect time on the file too. If you loaded a song into Windows media player it would show the song had an extra 20 to 30 to it. I had songs go completely corrupt with all this garbage written to the file too. I tried to bring this to their attention and even sent Ryan files that it corrupted and they tottally dismissed the whole thing. Basically saying "not our problem"... I feel I am having a fresh start with VDJ. My precious files are safe and the software does what it claims.

sorry the for long write... the BPM thing set me off.. spent too much time on that issue alone with them at VISOSHIT... ... err ... sorry .. I mean VISIOSONIC.

Posted Wed 05 Apr 06 @ 11:57 pm
I repeat : vdj is the best (I use it everyday) but they want to fix some things ....It´s only my point of view and u have yours and it´s ok !

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 12:06 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Now you've gone too far! loool hehe, of course not :), I appreciate a balanced view. Threads are only closed when things get mega heated and their is no resolve other than war, far from that now hopefully :).

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 12:19 am
I think ... is not all about to say "well done atomix !!" I want to be objective and with respect say what I think about the soft ... It´s a very good soft ...for me the best but there´s a lots of work to do ...and still think that the bpm detection needs to be better because if 1 song with techno engine have 112 bpm and with anymusic 99 bpm we haven´t an accurate detection - the only bad thing in pcdj bpm engine is :
in some songs the bpm is 180 bpm (divide by 2 and u have the correct one) or 61 bpm (x2 and u have the correct one )
Prince - Cream ..... with techno : 115.8 with anymusic : 135 bpm ..it´s only one song but all we have thousands !!! So ...for me is best to have only one engine ...I repeat : IT´S ONLY AN OPINION

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 1:14 am
NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET OF EARTH have a perfect BPM detection engine...

NO HARDWARE ON THE PLANET OF EARTH have a perfect BPM detection engine...

Virtual DJ got one fast algorithm for steady beats (house/techno) for fast analyze, and one alternative more depth going algorithm for the harder to detect beats (slower analyze).
I have tried almost ALL software out there for BPM detection, because that was the in the beginning all I wanted really.. and Virtual DJ and Mixmeister are the two very BEST there is!

If someone wanna complain about having a fast (less accurate) algorithm for easy-to-detect music, then we can remove it... but thats just plain silly!... sorry ;)

But sure, all things can be improved, and I'm sure Dev Team will do as best they can..

But still love you all, happy mixing ;) hehe

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 1:21 am
btw....I use TCV ...I am an old school dj ...I don´t need bpm for mix . all we need is one - only one bpm engine because my example is valid with Prince - Cream and 2 different bpm values !!!

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 1:27 am
yeah.. you are right about the "cream" track... Man-Tk.

A few songs are a bit odd, and they are few.. But using both engines will almost always get the correct BPM. One of them.
And in that sense,Virtual DJ is the very best BPM detection program I've found.

Now, I wouldnt want the option for an alternative BPM algorithm to be removed, because it both ensure sucsess for odd tunes, but also gives me fast analyze for easy-to-detect tunes (house/techno).

Now, I could wish for an auto-detection made for which one of the two that would be the correct to use, so that Virtual DJ got same good result as of today, but detected it automatically.
I've asked for that improvement, and I'm sure Dev Team is looking into it....

Until then, I'm damn happy for the incredible sucsess rate Virtual DJ have on BPM (out-scores Pioneer hardware, and beats the s.. out of PCDJ... and most others. Only Mixmeister do a good job too)

;)

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 1:36 am
Man-Tk posted on page 3: “Pcdj was the first serious dj software and it´s rock solid …”

You are right; PCDJ “was” … it isn’t anymore. How can you now accept it as “serious dj software” when $30 software like djdecks offers more modern features and works better than FX. Furthermore, FX cost almost ten times as much—$299.

As for being “rock solid,” that’s when their primary DJ software was the original Red (not this imposter program of Red: http://www.pcdj.com/Download.asp?transaction_type=6000 ) However, when FX replaced Red, PCDJ went from being “rock solid” to “rock bottom.” I seriously hope VISIO has turned it around for the sake of their future customers.

OO

btw. Are we headed in this direction again?
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/7940/General_Discussion/Former_current__PCDJ_users___.html?page=1

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 1:38 am
yeah we are heading in that direction, again ;) ... the discussion about PCDJ is old... but good to refreshen the "heat" of a good debate when someone new comes to forum and ask the good old question again...:

VDJ vs xxx software...

Even though we all agree mostly on the fact that VDJ is a good dj software, comparison of the others often get us moving because the "guest supporters" of other software often pin-point one or more features that VDJ might need... no software is perfect ;)

And the HEATED discussion about VDJ vs SSL, I'm pretty sure made some huge movements towards the development of a GREATLY improved timecode software called VDJ 4 & Numark Virtual Vinyl (both soon to be released). This made VDJ enter the pro league of timecode vinyl use... if not at the very top ;) yet to see, as the development is still in beta stage, but so far damn good ;)

So, yeah... VDJ vs PCDJ have been discussed before.
Unfortunately the comparison in my eyes are not giving VDJ many points to work at.. (the only ones that could do so, are not mentioned yet, and thats some of the karaoke features of PCDJ).

But hey, we all love a good discussion ;) hehe... as long as we keep it clean and informative, why not ;)

BTW, good to see you back and active at forum, Double OO;) You where gone a little while ago.. ;)

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 1:51 am
I don´t want to start a fight about pcdj . since 15 Aug 04 I use ONLY vdj . But sometimes we try other softs and we think : ohh they have a good feature ..can we have it ??? That´s all ... for example : I ´ve asked for "order by bpm" order by artits" and "order by song" shortcuts ... In only one month we had the new shortcuts !!! Pcdj is history for me but it have some things it could be good to see in vdj - If we want a better vdj we must to be objetives .... all things in vdj are good ...soft , forum ..all but always we want more and more !!!

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:05 am
I got one for you then...

"the development of a GREATLY improved timecode software called VDJ 4 & Numark Virtual Vinyl (both soon to be released). This made VDJ enter the pro league of timecode vinyl use... "

Can we get better vinyl then... I have to say I like Serato and the records they make. But I don't own it, my friend does. I was going to purchase it until I came across VDJ. On Serato's records it has cue marks for every minute and a part of the record that allows you to scroll up and down on your browser to select a song. That would be a cool addition to this already great product.

sorry off the topic of PCDJ vs VDJ..

but back on the topic...

PCDJ's version of the timecode record thing was a joke and waste of money for me...

oh well.. lesson learned.

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:10 am
Exactly Man-tk ;)

Dont worry. There are other smart people out there too, and sometimes other dj soft find good ideas for new features. Sure some of them should be added to VDJ too;)

And sometimes we the users here come up with our own good ideas too ;)

And agree, that those shortcuts ideas are good.. would love a shortcut for "sort by bpm":)

These discussions are usually not fights, and usually pretty objective too ;)
And often end up with new good ideas;) so no worries...

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:10 am
@low-fat-al

yes, Virtual DJ is pressing new better vinyl as we speak ;) And smart cues are also added to VDJ 4, so that you can move needle for quick move to cues ;)

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:11 am
True Man-Tk , especially on that last point, now the hype is 4 this and 4 that, and it will be A significant update (for me), if the release of 4.0 is as stable as 3.4 then it's the version of my dreams for live gigs with the new sound engine and master tempo, but getting back to my point, I'm sure it wont be many weeks down the line before we all want more and start posting long threads about new features/improvments.

Although for me the next update or two will be the most significant purely for proefessional reasons.

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:12 am
YAY for new vinyl... but I live in the U.S. Does that mean I have to spend another $70 (with shipping) to get them to me? Or will Numark have the same new vinyl and can I buy it here domestically?

Also.. I haven't figured out the smart cue thing and other additions to new update 3.4

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:16 am
Wow This thread is moving faster than most group chats I'm invited too :) hehe, I'm sure the new vinyls will be made available locally, it can't go on much longer as it is with the current delivery costs.

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:19 am
@low-fat-al

in fact, you are better of being in US ;)

The new vinyls will be available there first, from our USA representative.
So you will not have the high shipping cost;)

You probably could use Numark vinyls too, but not sure when they will be out on sale.
Numark havent set a release date yet, that I know of.

Regarding smart cue, timecode modes and more, we will make a good manual before the VDJ 4.0 release, where all is explained well... please be patient a bit longer on that :)

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:19 am
"The new vinyls will be available there first, from our USA representative."

And where do I find this USA rep?

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 2:41 am
80%