Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PCDJFX vs. VDJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello everyone. Just new to the boards here. I just recently stumbled onto Virtual DJ. I just downloaded the trial version and will play around with it a little bit more tomorrow. I have been running PCDJFX since it came along. I also use the KJ plugin for it. I have 2 laptops that I run that are very similar. Both running Pentium 4, 2.66 Ghz. 512 MB of RAM and 80 gig hard drive. Also run external HD. Most my mp3 collection is ripped at 192kbps or better. I use a Gigaport Ag soundcard. I do have a small collection of videos ripped from my past DVD Promoonly collection that I no longer get. Not quite sure what they are ripped at, as I havent experimented to much with them other than playing them in WMP. With all this said, in the little bit of time that I have played around with VDJ it is looking very promising and would open some doors to the video world for me. With what I already have would this be adequate to run VDJ ? And to anybody out there that has used PCDJFX & KJ what are your opinions vs. VDJ such as sound quality and whatever else you can throw in there. Thanks in advance.

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 5:23 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Welcome Machete, you will find lots of convert PCDJ users here some you probably already know.

If your system ran FX without puking, you will have no problem running VDJ.
You will also find support much better in this forum and behind the scenes.
Another thing is program security, you will no longer have to jump through hoops to install and use and without limitations on how many machines you may install it on as long as you are the only user.

As a seasoned PCDJ user the learning curve should be pretty easy, but take a moment and read through the user guide located right there on your system at start programs virtualdj user guide.
Then read the stickys at the top of each forum just to familiarize yourself with questions that have come before and been answered.

Other than that, have a blast test running this dude.

Best

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 6:50 pm
Hi Machete,

I bought PCDJ first like you and regretted it. First of all it was a nightmare to install and upgrade to the version which would run the DAC 3. PCDJ took a long three days to send me my registration number through, then with each upgrade it was a nightmare again.

Then, so that I could use it effectively I had to do all sorts of tricks with the tags on my files. In the end I did a mass clean up of tags, which should not have been necessary, because they were absolutely straight forward and all from my own collection ripped by audiograbber.

I found the program very unstable and it was embarassing when it crashed. Their customer support goes home all weekend when DJs are all working, too.

I tried the virtualdj demo and loved it. It's not without it's slightly funny ways, but compared to other programs it is great. You can skin it in so many different ways, download lots of effects and loops - all freely donated by other likeminded users.

And these discussion boards are the best most helpful I have ever come across. If you've any problem expect an answer very quickly.

I did a great set last night with perfect beatmatching and i's so easy to find tracks.

Andy

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 7:56 pm
I was a dedicated PCDJ user for like 5 or so years. It was my program to use when switching to the digital world of DJ-ing. I was using PCDJ Red and was so excited to use a controller like a CD player for all my mp3's. That opened a whole world for me. Through the years I turned sooooo many people onto the software. When PCDJ FX was release I jumped on it and was disappointed. It took them like a year to work out most of the kinks. Too many crashes and bugs. Very slow in updating and listening to the users on the forums. For years I bugged them about implementing a video plug-in. I also bought the PCDJ Scratch too. That didn't work very good at all... I used Serato and loved it. Before I made anymore purchases I stumbled on this site doing a google search for "Video DJ software". That was 3 months ago. I have since never opened up and used PCDJ FX for any of my gigs. I ABSOLUTLEY love using virtual DJ. I can now scratch mix music videos using vinyl. I wouldn't have ever thought that possible before I came across this site. I find it funny that PCDJ is now announcing a new product of PCDJ VJ. Even when they release it will be like a year again before it becomes solid. Take a look at the Virtual DJ history (top menu > products > software > Virtual DJ > History). They update their software so often and support team are highly active in the users experiences on this forum to really fine tune an already great product. My only complaint is that I didn't switch earlier. Ask any of my friends .... I won't shut up about Virtual DJ.

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 10:49 pm

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 12:03 am
Gawd that was a long time ago although it seems like just yesterday.

To reiterate, lots of people got hurt and held anger towards them.
It's easier to look back and laugh than it is to get all worked up.
They will crash and burn sooner or later, so ride the wave and spread the word.

Who's laughing now.....hehe

R

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 12:12 am
Wow, I read the three page thread. Thanks for the quick replies. Although I never had too many problems with PCDJFX, I think I am sold on VDJ. Everything looks tight. I am gonna play around with the demo a little longer. In the time that I have just been on the demo I am probably further along with VDJ than PCDJFX. Heck, if they throw in a shirt, I'll buy it right now. Thanks again for the quick replies.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 12:39 am
Hope to see you on the Virtual DJ side real soon ;)

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 1:11 am
macheted01: “Heck, if they throw in a shirt, I'll buy it right now.”

How about throwing "in a shirt" dj-in-noray ;)

OO

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 1:17 am
lol ;) hehe

No shirts on sale here ....hehe

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 1:32 am
Lmoa, I don't think I had the demo for 24 hours before I bought the program.

It still blows my mind how much you get with this program and how you had to buy pcdj one part at a time.

Shirts?
Hmmmmm, that'd be a good idea for the next show.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 1:50 am
Wow, what a trip. I just checked my email and got a letter from PCDJ. Ted Kruger is coming out to our local DJ Supply on April 4th for some kind of demo. Guess I'll check it out. Dont think they will have anything to offer to top VDJ though.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 6:17 am

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 6:13 pm
@ macheted01

I don’t want you to think that I was bashing PCDJ when I provided you with the link to the first thread that you read. As Rick posted, “that [thread] was a long time ago.” Furthermore, it was the only thread I could remember that would give you some insight as to why so many former PCDJ users have switched to VDJ.

Don’t wait too long on making a decision to buy because there is a $149 Internet special. Furthermore, we are expecting VDJ 4 to be released soon, which may increase the current price. If you buy now, you get the VDJ 4 upgrade for free—this company doesn’t attempt to drain every dime out of you like some other companies do.

OO

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 9:26 pm
I got FX as soon as it came out. It took me a little while to get it going, because I did not know jack about computers. I only know a little bit more now. It worked fine for me, but then I saw VDJ at the AC convention, this past Aug. I was looking at a lot of programs down there that claimed to do video. The guys at Triserasoft kept trying to show me how you could mix videos, but was never able to do it. He gave me all kinds of excuses; this is not hooked up, that is off, blah blah blah. I came across Cyder and another guy Tom that I knew from the PCDJ forum. They were working the VDJ booth, and showed me that you could mix video with it. I asked a few questions, and pulled out my money right there. Cyder even gave me his phone number, in case I had any problems. To be honest, I did not care about the audio part, because FX was working fine for me. After using VDJ for awhile, it has become the only program I use. I play videos 5 days a week in da club, so I am quite good. I still have FX on my machine,
because as I said, it worked fine for me. I just did not do video, and I need to be versatile. You will like this software, and the community.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 9:28 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
vdj is (not might be) better than pcdj but u still gotta respect pcdj red. pcdj red v1055 was a hell of a release. that version is a legend in itself for its time. vdj is a hell of a program too. its a very ambitious program. i cant say nothing about stability of vdj coz i dont have a full version but i dont think there's any version that could touch Red's 1055. v1055 was a flawless release.

now FX was almost a joke to me. i wont even get to that coz used it once or twice and wasnt happy.

i got my computer back a few days ago and still use pcdj red for the .ini files to manage my music.

yeah vdj is better than pcdj [red] off the bat. i havent used fx but u cant do without Red's .ini files for idv3 tags. vdj's txt files are pretty much unusable. to stay ahead of the pack skill is important but one has to be very very organized too. and importing those .ini files in microsoft office excel just takes u to another word. i spend very little time in my audio programs. most of my time is in excel.

its understandable to jump ship from visiosonic to vdj but it wouldnt be wise to uninstall Red (i dont know whether FX has ini files too).

i cant bash visiosonic coz pcdj blue pretty much started all this computer djing. and i dont think i will ever uninstall pcdj red. v1055 was a classic release for me.

u guys bashing visiosonic are being blasphemous to me lol. thats like playing basketball against ur dad and beating him and laughing at him that he sucks. ur dad birthed you.

but yeah right now (april 2006) vdj is better than pcdj.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 10:56 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The old pcdj huh... I started off using it when it was previously called Digital 1200sl which I think evolved into PCDJ red. Man it was wicked. Can't say that I had any problems. Unfortunately I don't think they have progressed much further from what was released back then.

VDJ without a doubt kicks PCDJ's ass at the moment. The features list goes on!

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 11:25 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Pretty much the same story here - I've been using Red since around 2001, only just recently jumped on the VDJ bandwagon a few weeks ago, and so far I'm loving it.

I've got no real gripe with Red, it was a great program, simple interface, and very reliable in my experience. Thing is, THAT version of Red was the only stable release they've ever done - I heard far too many tales from unhappy VRM & FX users to ever upgrade. Red was great pioneering software, but it was of it's time, and these days seems a little limited compared to what can be done in vdj.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 11:46 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Once upon A time I'd say PCDJ was VDJ's main competition, but at version 3.4 I'd say VDJ is looking further ahead ,re-inforcing it's quality rather than just adding new features and putting together a sound Engine that can compete with the likes of Steinberg and other Audio Software powerhouses.

You can tell by this forum that VDJ has been adopted by many different kinds of DJ, the feature list and quality on offer is what makes this possible.

Lastly I'd just like to ask anyone who's thinking about writing an agressive thread against one softwares favour that they need not bother, as topic will be closed (like they have been in the past), we don't like unfair comparisons when VDJ is on the receiving end, so neither should we carry them out against other software companies.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 11:55 pm
I used pcdj too in the very beginning... pcdj red.

But it had little to offer compared to using real cd decks... .

After Atomixmp3 became VDJ, there where little doubt in my mind what horse to ride from there ;)
And its been sunset since ;) hehe

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 12:35 am
27%