Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: song requests

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
what do you guys uh... do if someone requests a song from you that you don't have?

recently happened to me and i felt like a moron for not having it

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 8:55 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If someone requests a song from me that I don't have i do a number of things.

1/ First of all make a joke of it. "I have X thousand songs and you're asking me for one I DON'T have?!??!?!"
2/ Tell them you'll have it next time...even if you know you'll probably never see them again.
3/ Ask them if they want another song - try to put the choice back to them - shows that you will do whatever you can to help.
4/ Make a mental note or write it down.
5/ After the gig, get the track, just incase.

To be honest i wouldn't be too hung up about it. If you don't have it, there's really not a thing you can do on the night, so don't feel like a moron about it. If it's a really 'obvious' song that you SHOULD have, then just make sure you have it for your next gig.

I did hear one time about a mate of mine who takes a laptop to gigs with him as well as his main rig. He somehow has a 'portable' internet connection with him that he uses and if somebody wants a song he goes onto his lappie during the gig and downloads the song (either from his house pc or the internet) before transferring it onto his main gig machine and then playing it, so effectively he can get any song that is requested...although I'm not quite sure how this is done.

Speaking of which, that would be a great idea for the future... here comes the new features section!

Don't be too hard on yourself. You can only play what you can play.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 11:54 am
i use to have this answer down to a science...
i would tell everyone the same thing...i'll play it..(even if i don't have it)
if they come back up i would tell them i'm still looking for it
if they come back up again...(very few do)..i would tell them it's scratched

of course, now that i have vdj i have to change my final answer

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 2:47 pm
Kramer...that was pretty funny and all to true! Or just say...I already played that this evening!

I worked in a club where the public had no access to the dj...my booth was elevated above ground level in a ""glass box"...that was heaven!

Ronny
;-)

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 3:33 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
hahaha thanks for the advice guys

Posted Fri 24 Feb 06 @ 1:19 am
I have done all of the above, especially Kramer's method.

I used to work in NYC and once posted a sign: DJ FROM GERMANY - NO ENGLISH. That worked well for the most part. Some would try to speak sloooow and LOUD to try to get me to understand, hahahaha.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 06 @ 5:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)