Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Lessons I learned tonight...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Did a gig tonight at a place I played before. A surprise 70th birthday party. I have worked for this family before. They are into Bruce Springsteen big time. You know, the ones you can't dance to. As an African-American, I just don't get anything before the Born In The USA album. Anyway, while playing Rosalita, a waiter went to lower the lights. You guessed it, he flipped a switch, and bang, everything went off. I thought it was a breaker, but the power came back on. Except the computer. He came running up to see if everything was alright, so the guest knew what happened. The floor is waiting for me to start back up. There was a cd ready, but I had to come back with Rosalita, there was no getting around it. It was only about a minute to re-boot, but you know that feels like forever. My lesson? Get a UPS tomorrow. I always thought that if the power failed, it wouldn't matter, because everything would be off. I was wrong. Another thing I had trouble with tonight, was my wireless mouse and keyboard. I kept losing signal. I don't know if it was all the other wireless stuff I was using, a new wireless light system, and 2 wireless mic systems. They both had good batteries. At any rate, I will pick up a wired mouse and keyboard as well. Other then that, it was a great night. I still don't get "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out". Then again, I don't have to, I just have to play it. And count the money.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 12:37 pm
I'm originally from Philly -- and I agree

Bruce has 3-4 good songs and the rest are not suited to be played at gig

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 3:48 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Don't use wireless stuff unless is really needed (mics)
But these cheap wireless keyboards and mouses are not reliable.
About the ups... good point.
There is a big advantage if you use a laptop, the battery (even a bad one) can save you for short power breaks..

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 4:20 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
O.K. Maybe I'm a little slow...

What is a ups?? The only ups I know of is the postal service.

Please clue me in. this may be something I need and don't know I need it.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 4:55 pm
muzzaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You're on the net bro, the information superhighway!!!!

An uninterruptible power supply, or UPS for short, is, in a nutshell, a heavy-duty mains-charged battery unit that sits between your PC and the regular power sockets. These devices are designed to provide enough electricity during a power cut to keep connected equipment going for a little while, normally providing five or ten minutes of power for a few devices; long enough to save work in progress and shut down gracefully.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 5:10 pm
Yeah you're right, a UPS is definetely necessarry for desktop computers. Laptop DJ's ain't gotta worry about it. That's us City. By the way nice sets on radio DJCity, Good stuff.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 8:36 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
stay away wireless keyboard mouse. i had one and it messed up my laptop bios password and i had a gig in 3 days. i couldnt get to hp in time.

UPS definately can save u a lot of trouble. they can last 15+ minutes

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 10:39 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have a UPS, but have you felt the weight of them? I wouldn't want to lug one of those around along with the rest of the disco gear. I use two laptop's with batteries in them and have had power failures several times whilst Djing with Final Scratch. The only problem was the "Scratch Amp" needs to be powered, but that was back as soon as the power came back on. I found out a place I was Djing at regularly had a leeky roof and probably some dodgey wiring because whenever it rained (which is most of the time here in England) the power tripped out.

Posted Mon 20 Feb 06 @ 1:06 am
DjTibbyHome userMember since 2006
Agreed

Posted Mon 20 Feb 06 @ 4:03 am
I used to use a wireless mouse, but gave up. I got tired of replacing the batteries and the interference from other wireless products.

Posted Mon 20 Feb 06 @ 5:41 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
One of the nice things about VDJ is that when the external disk drive goes away (ie power outage) the program keeps playing the current song because it is all cached in memory. Another s/w I used to use which will remain nameless (but starts the a 'pc' and ends with a 'dj') had to be shutdown if the external disk went away while it was playing a song from it.
Of course if power goes out, you are probably not going to have any sound, but at least if the power comes back up, the music will continue to play. You can't load a new song, with no access to external disks, but the current song can be stopped, paused, started over, etc. Same with whatever is loaded into the other deck too.

Posted Fri 03 Mar 06 @ 3:41 pm
this has been the best post I have read yet, I have a gig tonight and I replaced my wired mouse for a wireless logitech mouse, reading all the comments about wirelss devices, I'm changing my mouse to wired as we speak.

Thanks for the input guys.

Posted Fri 03 Mar 06 @ 7:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)