Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Controling your intelegent lights " DMX Lights " w/ VDJ Pro ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am considering buying a DMX USB Dongle. I was wondering if anyone has or is currently controlling their light show with VDJ? How is it? Are there bugs? How hard or easy is it to do scenes and such? What has your general experiance been with it?

I have 6 Deluxe Scan 250s by American DJ that I want to control. I have a few other DMX lights, like a DJ Squeeze, but I don't use them much. I'm also ordering a blue stinger that has 8 DMX channels, and I'm going to want to controll that as well. Any help?

Posted Sat 18 Feb 06 @ 4:41 am
A few things about the DMX controller in VDJ. It it limited depending on your programing experience. You might want to look at a program called Daslight. It is an inexpesive controller and very easy to set up screens. You can even build a light show in a 3-D room before you enter a show. I would like to see VJD some how link this program to theirs so you can assign light shows to particuler songs. I could do this with Martin Light Jockey thru DJ Powers. However, I find Daslight much easier to work with as a lighting controller.

One word about ording a blue stinger. The company has had problems with the blue stinger. They tend to be diffucult dealing with when returning. I know from experience. The green stingers are a little less but they don't seem to have a problem. The other thing is unless you are in a contrelled light enviroment make sure you get a 20m or higher laser. You have to fill out special permits in some towns or states so check the restrictions. Why? The 4.5m are not that bright and if you have other lights running they are just not worth using.

Also, if you are going to use the stingers you need a good Hazer. Why a Hazer! Most places will not let you use fog, especially in the USA. Under the new fire regulations in most new buildings the fog will set off the fire alarms. So either you can't use them or you have to pay for a fire marshall to be their all night ($150 per hour). A good hazer will solve that problem, just make sure you check with the location you will be using them in before hand.

Mike

Posted Sat 18 Feb 06 @ 5:15 pm

Posted Sat 18 Feb 06 @ 5:48 pm
sunsetbowling,

thanks for the input. yeah, i have done my reasearch on the stingers and i know all about the varience that one must obtain to operate a laser that is above 4.9 mW.. and from the FDA of all agiencies. I wouldn't waiste my money on a 4.9 mW. I already have a hazer, American DJ Haze Generator. It's been a pretty good hazer, but I really want the Martin Magnum... it's like 5 times more powerful.

anyway, i was really wondering about the dmx capabilities of VDJ. i know about all these other programs, but i want to know about VDJ. i'm not worried about programing scenes, i want to know how easy it is to controll them using VDJ.

Posted Sat 18 Feb 06 @ 6:44 pm
Superstom,

neither of those threads address my question. they both go on tangents about martin and sunlites programs and i don't care about them. i want to talk to users who use VDJ to control their light shows and it's implementation. i know about these other programs, i'm not interested.

Posted Sat 18 Feb 06 @ 7:16 pm
HipHopAnonymous:
sorry my reply wasn't what you expected. In those post some comments were made that the build in dmx features in VDJ are very limited. It is ok to control some lights automatically with some simple scenes. If you would like more control you got to have to get another application.
In those posts some possibillities were noted, to control those other software with VDJ and to have the ability to create action points, like cue points, to switch between scenes or cues
Ewout

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 2:50 pm
that's cool, i'll take another look at those. still i would love to hear from someone who uses the dmx functions IN VDJ.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 06 @ 6:31 pm
mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
HipHopAnonymous.....I was searching the forum for lighting, and came across this one, although I have very little experience with VDJ and Lighting I would like to get more information from you on specific "beginner" lighting packages........I was not aware that VDJ controls lighing as well as video and audio, I look under the configuration settings and see nothing on lighting controls, is it wise to say the program has very limited aplllication with lighting shows?

Thanks for your help, sorry I could not answer any of your questions as I am learning this program fro the first time.

MZACK

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 3:36 pm
mzack:

yes, the ability to controll dmx lights is there... it's in the config>remote control>dmx (suidi). i don't know a lot about programing dmx scenes, so it seemed all so complicated. i ended up buying sunlite and the dmx/usb device at the mobile beat show in las vegas. now i'm trying to learn that program.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 7:22 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Didn't know you could buy DMX USB Dongles!
Where's the best place to go shopping for one on the net? What light's would work well with it? Looking at spending up to £1000 on a new lighting set up. The old one is boring me, it's been almost the same as long as I have been mobile Djing.

Posted Wed 01 Mar 06 @ 1:06 am
Thanks HipHopAnonymous.....nice pic from the show...SWEET!!

Im on the Nicolaudie web site now, it seems complicated....what do you suggest for a mobile dj, beginner???

Next Year maybe!!

Posted Wed 01 Mar 06 @ 4:00 am
something like this is great if you are on a budget:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7390767194&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

but this is what i got:
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~waGroup1datarq~compuware~eqint_KeyIDdata~37253~UID~2006022810303725~newproduct~T~itemNumber~COMPU-CLUB%2001

Elation Compuware is the exact same thing as sunlite... elation is just distributing it for them under a different name. the program is amazing and has NO limitations what-so-ever! i love it and it can controll ANYTHING that has DMX.

Posted Wed 01 Mar 06 @ 6:13 pm
Thanks....I will check them out when I get home....Im at work and the computer will not let me access the sites.....so let me got this straight, if Im plaing a particular song or set, I program the lighting to do what I want, or will the program link to VDJ somehow?

And is DMX a standard protocol for DJ Lighting, are there others, Im not quite sure I understand the whole DMX thing......

Posted Wed 01 Mar 06 @ 6:22 pm
that's pretty much it. Yeah, DMX is standard. You can controll ANYTHING that says DMX on the box, no matter what company it's from (i.e. american dj, martin, chauvet, elation, etc.) you can mix and match fixtures from different companies too... it's all the same. DMX is the only protocol I know of for intell lighting.

Posted Thu 02 Mar 06 @ 12:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)