Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What is this key?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know I am going to kick myself, but so what. Can someone please tell me what this key is; (Num). I see this in keyboard shortcuts;[SHIFT + Num-]. What is this?

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 8:34 pm
no need to kick yourself ;) It simply means the "number keyboard" at a general PC keyboard (the little part with all the numbers on the right side)

Or simply a number button... Like "shift + num 6" is shift+6 :)

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 9:01 pm
and "Num-" or "Num+" is simply minus or pluss.... if thats what got you comfused... :)

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 9:12 pm
Ok, I see what you are saying. I have a mini keyboard, so don't have a number pad. But the command I am talking about, does not mention a specific number, for instance; [Num -] = pitch(-8). Does that mean that if I hit 8 and -, it will give me a -8 pitch?

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 9:16 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@A Man and His Music

No, with a mini keyboard (I have one too) the number keypad is generally integrated into the 'main' keys of the keyboard. On mine, I have a 'Function' key which is a bit like a shift key. My number pad has been amalgamated with my 'right hand keys' and when I press my function key and another keyboard key, for example, the letter 'P', my tempo slows down by -8 or whatever it's been set to.

My shift key works as normal: p or P and then my function key works the number keypad. It's very similair to a laptop keyboard.

I can see the number keypad figures in blue on my keyboard, and my 'Function' key is also in blue, making it easier to tell between them all...although it's a bit of a bummer if you're doing a gig and there's no bloody lights on!!! Hope this helps...

Incidentally, you can buy a usb mini numeric keypad if you feel you really need one, like this (from ebay): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laptop-Desktop-USB-Mini-Numeric-Keyboard-Keypad_W0QQitemZ6842080660QQcategoryZ31568QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or you could just setup some shortcuts in your Config panel and use your main keyboard to do all the functions generally associated with the numeric keypad.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 9:28 pm
Pionara, I see what you are saying. I have a Gyration mini, and it has a blue "Fn" key, and blue numbers, in a number keypad configuration. However, I have to also press NumLock, then Fn, and then a number. That is way too many key strokes for me. Seems like it should be a little simplier. Maybe I need to read the Gyration manual. Thanks for your help. At least I learned something new today.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 9:52 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have noticed this with the Numlock too. If you leave numlock off, however, the numbers won't function, and instead you'll be left with just the functions (- / = *).

On my keyboard, i don't need to use the numbers, so i leave my numlock off all the time.

P

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 9:59 pm
I have a laptop with a mini keyboard too...

All numbers shortcuts works fine, using the row of numbers at the top of keyboard, but the minus and pluss does not ... (except from when activating the key pad function, for mini keyboards)

But.. you can always remap these functions... :)

[Num -] means the number pad minus key... and [Num +] means number pad plus key

The pitch and pitch reset adjustments are the only one (I think) that might not work straight out of a mini keyboard, but remap these to some other free keys (like the regular pluss and minus keys on mini keyboard, and the asterix * for reset), and all is fine :)

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 10:26 pm
"[Num -] means the number pad minus key... and [Num +] means number pad plus key". That explaination was to the point. Now, I get it. I know I am a little slow, but I know I can't be the only one that did not get this. If I am, it won't be the first time. Thanks.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 10:57 pm
hehe... no worries ;)

And I'm sure several others have been unsecure about that [num-] means too...

No matter what the question is, its valid as long as someone needs help or clearification.. thats what this forum is for :)

"the only stupid questions are the ones that are not asked" goes a saying.. ;) and thats very true!

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 11:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)