Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Cant get MIDI to work..............

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
hi there thanks for dropping by, ive used VDJ for a while now but would realy like to integrate it with some of my other hardware. i currently own a Yamaha DTXIII (an e-drum set) and i had a brainwave one day that it would be cool to trigger samples and loops etc from it to create some realy cool warped breakbeat etc and just experiment. the DTX itself has a few funky sampels and loops but nothing on VDJ. ive gotten quite good at making jams with those but i thaught it was about time i opened this up to the possibilities of live music remixing with VDJ so i went and got some 5pin din MIDI leads and connected them rite up. thing is i cant get the MIDI signal to show up in any programs!....

I use a Terratec producer PHASE 88 ASIO interface that has MIDI in and out on the breakout box with all the ins and outs on etc on and i have pluged the OUT of the DTX into the IN of the PHASE 88 (and the OUT of the PHASE into the IN of the DTX just incase that made any difference althought i dont need VDJ to send anything to it). i have tried traktor and battery and naturly VDJ but i dont seem to be able to get any recogniton from these softwares. is there anything im not doing correctly or a MIDI diagnosing program that anyone knows of. i can find MIDI for PHASE 88 in the drop down but it just doesnt seem to work. oh and i also tried the out to the out and in to the in incase that was the way it was meant to go but that didnt do anything ether. doh! this would be cool to have working and any help would be appreiciated!

i dont have any other MIDI things to test it with unfortunately and i have found nothign about 'turning midi on' or anysuch other thing in the DTX manuals. my friend said his MIDI keyboard worked rite away when he plugged it into traktor using the 'learn' function.

cheers for reading all of that lol

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 11:18 pm
mabey i should have putthis in the hardware section?

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 2:39 am
@Xeo
You have some nice equipment for sure but....

the devices you listed here are exactly that.....Midi devices

If you'd like to control VDJ using a midi controller you need exactly that.....a midi controller

do a google search for midi controllers or you can have a look at M-Audio's midi controllers since they seem to have a wide selection of them on their website and judging by how many members are using them I would say they work quite well with Virtual DJ.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 5:14 am
mate if i can generate a midi signal from my device why cant i use that to controll VDJ im not trying to fade sliders using it im trying to use it to trigger loops etc.

have a look here at the same kit being used with battery 2 to great effect. via, erh, MIDI

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=battery_us#

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 5:22 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
First of all you have to check your midi drum module if there is any setup for midi output.
Look for something like midi through, (or something like this) an option to enable/disable the midi signal from the pads to pass through the midi out/through ports.
You have also to choose midi channel, (virtual dj is "omni", receive all midi channels)
You don't need a midi diagnostic program, just open vdj shortcuts page and see if midi messages received...
good luck..

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 6:46 am
If you can borrow another MIDI device (E.g: Keyboard from a friend) , try connecting that up to your MIDI interface and see if it works.

If not, you may have a problem with your MIDI interface (It may need enabling, drivers installed, etc.)

Also, try disabling and then re-enabling MIDI in VDJ's config (Remote control section.)

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 3:34 pm
A midi device and a midi controller can be two completely different things :)

He needs a midi CONTROLLER to control any software with midi capabilities

I dont know the Yamaha pad very well, but it might not be able to be used as a midi controller....

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 3:54 pm
ok peeps thanks for the help will have another look at the manual and try these ideas.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 10:48 pm
heeeeeyyyyyy its wokring:) turns out theres a switch under a cover that selects between MIDI COM-1 COM-2 and Mac compatibility! score! only tried it for a little bit but the latency and accuracy seems spot on, i may even use this in my live performances

just for the reccord this is not a traditional 'MIDI controller' but any device that can output a MIDI signal can probably be used with any device that can accept one. im not trying to do all my mixing with 18 different pads, im just trying to do somethign new and exciting with VDJ.

more info soon after ive had some time to play with the new options this opens up.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 11:32 pm
good to hear! ;) Glad it could be used to send midi commands!

And midi has latency close to nothing... so very good tool for audio apps:)

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 11:38 pm
lol yer mate cheers. all i gotta do now is decide how to use it lol. cant picture my drum rack integrating with a traditional DJ settup and i cant picture my decks playing skipfree mounted on a drumrack lol. plus mixing with a pair of sticks in your hands would be tricky lol.

MIDI latency is nanoseconds not even milliseconds so im not worried about that. i just didnt think that VDJ would be so bang on with the samples and cues as the hardware brain is. It was in ASIO mode tho so the latency wouldhave been like 2.8 Ms so i guess it goes withotu saying.

oh and by the way im very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very happy.

thanks for all the help guys.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 06 @ 12:05 am
hehe ;) good

Posted Thu 26 Jan 06 @ 12:58 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)