Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What makes for good DJ headphones?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi all,

I'm looking to get some headphones for club/turntable use, and I was wondering what qualities I should be looking for? Noise cancelling?

Thanks in advance!

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 1:18 am
Most people will recommend the Sennheiser HD25 (not the cheaper HD25s), although they're not cheap at £130!

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 1:22 am
Just go with the Sony 700s DJ kans and be done with it. The Pioneer pros around the same price point is also good. Bottom line is u get what u pay for. There is a reason the Sony 700s are so popular... they work pretty good except for their break point flaw around the cup hinge.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 3:38 am
He is right about the good and bad of the sony 700. Great sound, but will break very quickly. I like stick headphones, so make my own, using various cups including the 700 (that's because mine broke also). The Pioneer is more robust, and sounds great. You will have to decide how a headphone fits, sounds, length of the cord, plug type( I like a right angle plug because it is flatter). Does it come with an adapter, or detatchable cord. It all depends on what is important to you.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 9:31 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
And if you don't have much money, go for Behringer HPX2000, it has very good sound, powerfull bass and great mid's and high's for that price (25 euros). I have them for 6 months and no problem at all.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 10:59 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 11:12 am
Hey Rick, where did U find the Ministry of Sound 1003 in the USA ? Appears to only be available in the UK. If I'd known about them I may have tried them before buying my 2nd set of Sony 700s last weekend [:o/

How do they compare to the Sony 7s ??

Another point of caparision is the comfort level of the Hphone. For example I used AMERICAN AUDIO HP700 for a few weeks and it was pure crap. Talk about uncomfortable... the ear cups would pinch your neck when you assume the popular leaning head monitor posture, the coiled cord was too light and so kept twisting itself, even tho it was a coil cord and lastly, the cord pulled completely out of the earcup after about 6 weeks of use.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 3:09 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Make sure you get 'closed back' type cups. I had a REALLY great sounding pair of AKG's for many years, but always had to crank them up loud to hear over the live sound. Once I switched to a closed back Sennheiser, I notice that my ears don't ring as much at night because I can keep the volume much lower inside my phones. Can also just slip them on when I don't feel like hearing the outside music.

Now I have a really good set of AKG's for listening to music or movies at home ;)

I have a friend who uses Bose noise cancelling phones and thinks they're the greatest, but I didn't think they were any better than my Sennheisers for DJ'ing.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 8:15 pm
After 25 years I finally was forced to retire my favorite headphone cup. It was a Radio Shack Pro 20 that I had bought in 1980. It was perfect, it blocked the external sounds and was more than loud enough to hear in the loudest clubs. I am trying a Sony that I cut up because I like a single cup, but it is a little to thin. I will be trying other headphones later in the year.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 3:17 am
If you want the best, then try GRADOS. Not the most comfortable but you get professional sound for less then 100 bucks. It takes about a month of use to break them in, but once they are broken in, the sound is awesome!

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 3:41 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
All the grados i know are open headphones, good for hi-fi not for dj/monitoring.

My suggestions:
Cheap...
Sennheiser hd202, hd212,
Akg K44, K55
Numark PHX
Beyedynamic dt-231

Not cheap...
Sennheiser hd 25 (i use these), Hd-280
Sony 7506 (Sasha use them..)
Beyedynamic dt-250
Technics rp dj1200

All these are closed headphones.
No Sony700 or Pionner on my suggestion list -)

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 5:52 am
agent-iHome userMember since 2006
i own a pair of pioneer HDJ1000 there awsome...even tho people say they snap easely... i dont hav any probs just treath them with care n they ll last u 4eva

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 9:11 am
I own the HD25's and they are the best ones I've ever tried... They sound great, are comfortable, durable, and lightveight. And: every part of them is replacable. Except for great sound and noisecancelling (big factor if you want to keep your hearing), I particulary like that they sit very well (when worn on the head, not behind the neck), and don't slip (for instance when you are leaning over the mixer, or just noding along to the music).

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 2:46 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
hd-25's are discreet..
They do the job without ...screaming: "i wanna be Tiesto", unlike other "dj" headphones made to break easily.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 3:02 pm
go for the Sennheizer HD280... Great sound and very durable. Better than the Sony's I used to have some time ago.

Posted Fri 27 Jan 06 @ 12:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)