Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Laptop Info

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I noticed that most of the people here use laptops.
What in you opinon would be the best laptop for VDJ?
Would you need a stripped down one without all the extra pgms that come with a computer or would you strip the pgms out yourself?

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 6:34 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
bogart,

You only need Windows Operation System, VirtualDJ Professional, DirectX 9.0c.

I recommend a Pentium 4 laptop (3.0GHz or better) or the New Dual-Core Centrino laptops. ATI or N-Vidia Video Cards (better with 128mb or more) and fast DDR-2 memory modules with fast HD. These last for use with VDJ Video features.

Be aware of buy a smallfactor laptops (like Dell X1 or Toshiba Libreto) because they use a slower CPU clock (for power saving) and they are not good for a good work with VDJ.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 11:32 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Also you could see my blog on "laptop elevation" to prevent overheating, this plus cleaning the dust out once every 12 months should stop overheating, keep all running fast and preventing crashes and cut-outs.

Some may also recommend an external fan.

Also with Laptops choose brand names that offer 3 years warranty or more, and be sure to take out a full insurance on it. I've learnt the hard way with all this advice ;).

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 11:53 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
And a big cache memory on processor and HD !!!!

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 1:09 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I Think this one should work just fine AtomChip®SG220-2 ( http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page5.html )1TB AtomChip® Quantum-Optical Non-Volatile RAM and storage / 6.8GHz AtomChip® CPU (AtomChip® Quantum® II processor) / 2TB Additional AtomChip® Quantum Storage / 12.1" WXGA 1280x800,6:10 TFT Glare Type LCD display with 1.3 Mega pixel camera / Integrated graphic controller [AtomChip® DVM (Dynamic Video Memory) /802.11a/802.11b/802.11g WLAN /Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100/2200BG/2915ABG network connection / Bluetoth (with antenna build-in), GPS (with Bluetooth antenna) / PCMCIA slot x 1 / IEEE1394A x 1 / USB2.0 x 3 / SVGA-out port / Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi / LAN (RJ45) / Modem(RJ11), / Stereo Earphone-out / Built-in two stereo speakers / Built-in Microphone / Interface Ports Front Side:4 in 1 Card reader [SDIO, SD, MS Pro, MS] / Application Launch Key: E-mail,Internet, Capture, WLAN / Pointer: Synaptics touchpad with 4 way scrolling button / Rechargeable Li-Ion battery / Windows XP Professional and Linux / Voice Command / PROMT-Translator (8 languages) / AC Adapter / BOSE Headphone Music System with noise Canceling / Dimensions: 320(W)x242(D)x22(H)mm/28mm (front/back) /Weight around 4.18lb (1900g) when fully equipped.

The expected selling price is $18,500.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 3:21 pm
Thanks for info.
Right now I have a gig box set up for VDJ. Never goes on line. Just checking for a laptop as backup.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 8:10 pm
Amd processors are better though for any high cpu useage programs. They are better about preventing crashes, freezes, or glitches. Plus if you want to overclock it they are the most stable, and more resistant to heat. For your money a mcintosh is probably your best bet. While a Pc can vastly outperform a mac it is a lot more expensive to get better performance. This could be a problem because the windows emulator on macintosh computers is still buggy, and may have issues with vdj, or some controlers. If money isn't an issue then a falcon northwest computer is your best bet. http://www.falcon-nw.com/flash/ I may be new at djing, but I've still been a computer nerd for a long while.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 6:50 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
flamingdiareah,

To be a computer nerd for a long time you have wrong information.

AMD is the WORST in overheat, the blow up because of this. If you don't believe it, just use one without his heatsinc and it's gone. Do it the same with INTEL and you'll see. I blow up 3 of 3 AMD processors (by accident at first place) and 0 from 10 Intel processors doing this exercise. Overclock? any processor that is use in overclock reduce his lifetime, it's a fact. And even if you overclock rise your clock processor but sometimes reduce your overall performance (because other internal factors).

MAC is better because the software OS X. Now their new MACs come with Intel Chip Processors, the PowerPC processors are out of the new MACs. VirtualDJ only work at PCs and MAC with VirtualPC emulation program couldn't get working VDJ as good as in a PC.

AMD64 is a great product sure, but In dualcore tech Intel is cheaper and with his Extreme Edition Processors are the fastest in the market now. All around in the current setups are faster in Intel than in AMD, but AMD is less power consuming and efficent for his 2.4GHz processors doing a 3.0GHz job (but still far from 3.8GHz).

@ Putte, The PC at 6.4 already mention here at the forums 8 months ago (I believe), but I don't think this is a real product, still in development and $18,500 it's a lot of money.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 12:32 pm
well said ! but in 64bit AMD dualcore is the best way to go runing VDJ.and putte for $18,500. you can set up a nice little club with this.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 3:19 pm
I don't know about that with my experience overclocking amd processors AMD tends to work better then intel, but I have only done a P3 1.6ghz-1.8ghz, a P4 3.0ghz-3.4ghz, an AMD 2400 1.9ghz-2.4ghz, an AMD 2.2ghz-2.7ghz. These were gaming rigs though so the heat wasn't really an issue with heat sinks, and numerous fans, but It seemed the AMD processors outperformed the pentium processors.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 06 @ 12:34 am
Way to confusing for me. I was interested in laptop info just to have one as a backup.
I don't see the need to spend $1500.00 on a laptop when you can get a rackmount or small desktop computer for the same price. Desktop to me seem to be more versatile, and more powerful than laptop. Like I said just looking for a backup.

Posted Thu 26 Jan 06 @ 2:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)