Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hip-Hop Mix for critiquing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys, I have a Hip-Hop/Reggae Mix that im uploading currently.
As usual, I'm open for comments/criticizms/suggestions.

In a few minutes, it will be available at

http://www.thetanu06.org/download/cd-session.mp3

Note: It's a 100mb download, I ddint want to downsample (maybe I should have).

Personally , I still think im to scratch happy, but its my area of weakness that im focusing on, so i can't help myself.

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 3:50 pm

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 4:21 pm
the link ain't working

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 6:49 pm
the second link?

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 6:51 pm
Also, right click and click save as on the link,

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 7:14 pm
Still not working?

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 12:26 am
Nah I tried again. I tried the right-click, save as n it didn't work.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 12:42 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
Typing while listening to the mix.

Gold digger: im thinking its january kanye is in his 2nd or 3rd single why r we still playing this track. well its too early to judge what direction ur going with the mix.
Pretty Ricky track: im not feeling that gold digger to this transition. Gold Digger is upbeat and this is a little to mellow if u ask.
Lil Kim... i like this track. ur were busted there for a minute mixing it in but u recovered and the effect was on point. put ur lighters up!
i hear ur struggling with Tipsy in the background... well its finally here.. i probably wouldv gotten caught too coz of that bridge. u think its just a regular chorus then a bridge gets u offside.
YBZ - Lean Low. slept-on 2003 track. i guess Damn! took all the promotion money. but why Lean Low when they have new ish and a new album out right now? well maybe u have an explanation afterwards.
banner - play: the mix here didnt fall thru. The blend with YYT - Wait instrumental fell thru. thats tight. i always follow it up with that song. i learned something by the way u did yours.
first r&b track: i dont know this song... it has a tight beat.
This other r&b/reggaetonis song: dont know the songs but they'r alright and fit each other. sounds like rihanna.
buju banton: "this is buju banton!" nice transition from the other song. it set this classic right on.
oh sh1t. i did i just hear Murder She Wrote being sampled in the background...
Murder She Wrote: In my opinion u struggle with mixing in songs... u dropped another classic. so far ur reggae set is stronger than ur rap set.
Rich Girl: another classic. seems ur more comfident with ur reggae set. (but imo u still struggle bringing in songs)
first reggaeton song: i dont know this song. im not famil.... wait. this is Kells. this sounds hot.
Pon De Replay remix: was about so say something negative and its good u took it out. its not that its a bad song. its over played (coz its hot) and i think old at this point.
Rupee w/ Lil Kim: i havent heard this version.
Bleek - Like That: bleek was slept on last year. i guess the boy just wasnt meant to blow. he's been one hit away since he came out. but i think Infatuated was one of the best songs of its kind last year.
Busta - Touch It: this song is hot. i thought by this time it'd be a monster hit but its not.
nice exit of Touch It. to what sounds like a crunk session...
I'm On it. Im On It. Im On it: first time i heard this kryptonite song i was in love.
Crime Mob: dawg u funkkin up the crunk session forc
Young Jeezy: crunk session looking strong so far. that was nice u didnt keep the crime mob too long (coz its old anyway).
Franchize: at this point im feeling ur crunk session. nice mix from the jeezy to this too.
Laffy Taffy: last year's suprise song. perfect song selection from Lean With It.
Weezy F Baby: i hated on this song coz it wasnt a mannie fresh beat but its grown on me. its hot but! (i gotta add a but) its not a mannie fresh beat.
Grillz: another hot song. one of my favorite right now. nice mix.
i just downloaded this slim and beyonce but havent heard it. listening to it now for the first time.
Cham: u get a pass with that mix. mixing the song is a little tricky. anyone have an instrumental? i'd have followed grillz with this...
YBZ - George Bush:
Yayo - Curious: i'd put that beyonce with this one were it my set.
this r&b track: fits well with Curious. this would be a nice song just before going into a slow session at the clubs.
112: r&b set looking good.
Slow Motion: almost got caught gettin it in and wheeled 112 outta there. so far its
i like the way u took out slow motion. it was a firm exit. 1 or 2 beat loop? nice echo effect exit into Erykah...
Erykah to Kells w/ BIG: so far this slow rap/r&b set is strong too.
Kells w/ BIG: these are the kinds of songs that give a dj extra points. they make gurls losen up at the club... 9 months later the real reason why all those gurls have babies is coz of the djs song selection.
Rock The Boat: popular step song here.
Valentino: i love this song. the beat and vocals perfectly match. DTP got a timbaland equivalent with just as good quality as timbo.

end.

overall i give it a 7/10
song selection i give u 7/10. but that depends whether u made this mix for us (djs) or for an audience. if its for an audience its a 8. for us 6.
skillz i give u 6 or 7. now wait before u complain about the 6 i can explain way the 6... i havent heard a mind blowing xp-10 mix. On the other hand ive heard our friends over at serato and they blow me away. rather this one cat blows me away. his track listing almost always sucks but u gotta respect the firmness and confidence of his mixes.
now question is... can i make a better mix? the answer is NO.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 1:19 am
Thanks for the in depth feedback. When I picked the songs i was just imagining what the crowd would be feelin at a party i have coming up next week (The theme is "Grown and Sexy").
And you're right, I do struggle with the mixing, mostly because my scratching is not really up to par. I'd like to think its passable, but i can't seem to do the things i hear other dj's doing. I cant figure out for sure if its just my limitation, or whether its a limitation of the xp10 (my ego goes with xp10). I can actually make cleaner transitions if i just stick to cuing up and beatmatching, but the scratcher in me kinda overdoes it.
Once again man, great feedback and i appreciate it.

On the song selection rating , what makes the difference between dj/audience?

Im still open to anyone elses thoughts.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 1:29 am
I'm still trying to hear it. I'd really like to hear it.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 3:00 am
The second link is perfect... i was streaming it on WMplayer...
Great mix...although im not much of a critic...
keep chillin,
adi

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 6:45 am

i say if the track listing is for a party then i give it a 8 coz ppl would be familiar with most songs... and u did play some songs which even i didnt even know which is good coz u dont want to play just bubble gum ish. if its hot thats even better. what sucks is playing a new song that sucks. You say its for the grown and sexy. the set does kinda have that feel but u didnt hit really give a set of oldies or early 90s hits. only ur reggae set went back.

If it were for djs it'd be a lower score coz i feel u have to show us ur risking breaking some [hot] songs. playing some exclusives and what not. the scratching is a lil sloppy too and doesnt sound too confident. maybe the limitation is the xp-10 (even tho i doubt that). ive heard 2 mixes from 2 popular ppl from this forum and their xp-10 mixes havent been convincing. .maybe it takes a while to really getting used to the xp-10s. its unfair to compare a vinyl/tcv user to an xp-10 user coz xp-10s are still new... TTs have been around for a while.

the file's 192 bit rate is too high. 128 or even 64 are just fine. 100+MB is huge. for song files 192 is the obvious standard. but for mixes 64 even 32 is just fine. that'd make ur mix less than 40MB.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 7:30 am
Anyone else have a mix to post?

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 2:41 am

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 3:24 am
Hei, anyone has an idea of the title of this few songs? All the below are hip-hop/rnb songs...
1. The chorus goes like "pump it in, pump it in" ....
2. Sounds something like tell me what you like, tell me what you need...catchy song

Any nice recommendation of hip hop songs? Thanks in advance...

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 1:01 pm
No idea what those are.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 12:29 am
first thing before i listen to a mix is glance the tracklisting. some track listings wouldnt look pleasing to the eyes but believe me that doesnt mean mean nothing. cant judge a mix/audio with the eyes. u cant tell the skill of mixes by looking at the track listing. at first glance when i saw ur ish digijoc is i dont know most songs on it... so if i were to judge it it'd be more on the mix. i used to keep up with all genres back in 1999-2000 but the rate of music coming in was overwhelming so i slipped on dance/techno and reggae. i cant say im a dance dj anymore. as for reggae u cant be a hip-hop dj without doing dancehall but i only play classics and the new popular songs.
well that said let me start playing this mix.. i write while listening to the track.
and another thing before i start this.. since ur black ill be even more strict on you :)
iight let me start this...
btw good thing u have a playlist.
ALL FOR A CAUSE - Richie Spice | World Jam Riddim: this sound like the Welcome To Jamrock beat. This beat is **speechless**. Its powerful. u have white girls around here now acting like they jamaican coz of junior gong. now they dont act black no more.. they act jamaican. lol. As the song plays i think i'll join this site after the mix. (I'll act jamaican too coz i like this riddim.)
I tink di nex song is on now. but the mix was so flawless im not exactly sure...
oh ish! its Welcome To Jamrock already?! i thought it was just the 2nd song... well that means the transition of the mixes were flawless. 2 songs passed and i couldnt tell.
I Believe:
After You: i like Tanya. she as "that" voice. i fell in love with her voice in the Addictive riddim. the previouly Shagg and Priest in a song sounds like a huge song. coz those r 2 heavy [pop] weights right there. this Tanya is up there with it. This bia deserves to blow up real big in the US. someone's not doing their job in her promotion team.
Your Best Friend: well transition of the mixes are perfect. flawless. reminds me of a one time when i was listening to the vdj radio. the dj was so flawless in dance/techno music u couldnt even tell when a song came in or got out. it was like one long mix. the mixes being perfect it was monotonous coz there were no scratches or no effects... same thing with this mix. the different riddims are cool the first 2 songs but after that they become a little monotonous.
Footprints: i know this song coz ive seen it on TV... honestly i didnt kknow which riddim had what artist up to this point. ur probably thinking what dj cant tell bounty's voice from Gentleman or Jah Cure. truth of the matter is most people dont know the difference either. hip-hop heads that is.
MISSION: transition to this song is flawless obviously. by the mood of the songs u probably dont have to scratch on these riddims. the mix so far sounds like this one'd be a nice mix to play with ur girl driving on a 3hr roadtrip.
HOT FOR YOU: mix sounds good so far. i was just thinking since there'r no Drops i'd probably download this mix and listen to it in my ride... and promote it as mine :)
SAME ROOTS RASTAMAN: first Drop in the mix. {ish i cant download it and promote it as my own now} u know by ur mixing u probably could work at a radio station... if u used TTs that is. coz it takes more skill to.. well who cares? so long as u know ur songs well thats all u need. besides the stations are now starting to use ipods.
AS FAR AS I CAN SEE: ele's voice is familiar to the mainstream so this one sounds familiar. u know maybe i should go back to keeping up with reggae/dancehall music.
THANKS AND PRAISE: without a playlist i wouldnt tell when different tracks come in/out.
CRY BABY RIDDIM Drop: nice drop. ur voice sounds full.
I STILL BELIEVE: hey apply at ur local station. just keep sending them mixtapes till they give in. i know a dj who got a gig doing this...
LOVE IS: i need to get this one. since ppl in my area r all about hip-hop i thought slow dancehall wouldnt work but to my suprise slow reggae works at a hip-hop crowd. NEVER GONNA BE THE SAME: especially this sean paul coz his voice is familiar to the mainstream. HOW COME: i like this riddim. first time for me to listen to the riddim. REALITY CHECK: i like the way u chopped this whole riddim set. its more obvious what ur trying to do and probably even better [that its obvious]. that's a nice Drop. i need to get myself Drops goddamn it.
My BOO: nice mix to this one. man u makin me mix my ex. now the whole mix till this point its flawless as far as mixing is concerned. the Drops where dropped at the right places... LET ME LOVE YOU: the bpm picks up.. nice beat. man this beat is on-point. i need to get this [song].
By looking at the playlist im wondering why there'r 3 SocaMusic tracks. Is this the same artist? or that just another way of saying "unknown soca artist".
WE NOT GIVING UP: can't go wrong with Dougie Fresh hyping. u know i really need Drops. ur using them well. i dont use samples
GOOD TIMES: now this is what i called old school blackgold9. RAPPER'S DELIGHT: mix was flawless i thought it was a remix for a moment. but this's hip-hop i cant be tricked.
AINT NO STOPPING US NOW: nice effect to this track. since Chic maybe u can school blackgold9 what a "for the grown and sexy" set sounds like. lol jk
SET IT OFF: + HOLIDAY + FORGET ME NOTS: well earlier i was joking but this is what a for the grown and sexy set really should sound like.
AND THE BEAT GOES ON: ok at this point i dont think u'll skip a beat and funkk up a mix. so give us something different. MAKE THAT MOVE: then again stunts r not necessary for "mature" mixes. then again perfect mixing gets monotonous and the "real" heads want more. its easy to pull perfect mixes especially with computer djing and thats where the TT ppl attack us. If u and a TT dude had this exact mix i'd rate the TT head higher coz it took more skill for him to make such a mix. ILL DO ANYTHING 4 U: + WORD UP: ur definately killing it with the song selection of this old school set.. I WILL SURVIVE: is this a live set or re-edited? A LITTLE JAZZ: ur throwing in songs fast. me personally i like that. u know how it is with vdj once u have a song in ur already thinking of mixing in another one. even at the club i like a song for one or 2 verses or a chorus only and they'r out. but i noticed ppl at the club dont like that. one time in 2001 i was so drunk spinning songs for one verse and mixing them out. the girls were so pissed but i didnt care. i personally think playing songs short makes the night/mix longer. CYBOTRON: i can already guess whats gonna come next... LOSE CONTROL: nice mix. i like this song. props on missy for producing the song. and nice mix into the BLACK EYED PEAS: one thing ive noticed about the level of ur whole mix is that it all sounds level like its been mastered or something. MY HUMPS: real hip-hop heads think BEP have sold out. i consider myself a real hip-hop head but its ok to sell out like this. 'song is phat. its works for them. but as far as the mix goes why 2 BEP songs back to back? i know there arent too many songs in that bpm range but thats no excuse. IT'S AUTOMATIC: looks like ur party doesnt show no signs of slowing down. the peak of the mix is the last 5 minutes. PLANET ROCK: the classic of all classic old school songs. this song is before my time and believe me i've never seen a new school crowd the way an old school crowd reacts to this song. especially when its started right from the beginning. END.
8/10
the mixes are flawless no doubt. i wanna say a but but i cant. reason i cant is coz of the mood of the mix. its a 8/10 for what it is. its a mellow mix. the hip-hop on it doesnt require too much fansy stuff coz its old school anyway.
the problem we get from TT djs coz they get mad when we [digital djs] dont show a variety of skillz. ur mixing can be summarized by moving the crossfader from right to left and vice versa. personally i think u shouldv done more than what u did. it does take skill for song selection. song selection is top 3 in terms of importance coz if ur foundation is wack its hard to make something perfect out of it. song selection i give u 9/10 but! i give the vdj program 8/10 for those flawless mixes. lol. u might try to come back with u had to manually calculate some of those bpms and cues and thats a lot of work too. but u know what? me and the TT ppl (ie the haters) dont care. a computer dj with perfect mixing with no other technical skillz like scratching, loops, mcing gets no props from the 3 percenters. we'r on the sidelines hatin while u have all the girls running up to ur dj booth kissing u and i know u dont care as long as the girls are on the dancefloor, and 97% of the ppl dont care what eqipment u use either or how ur doing it. what matters to them is what comes from the speakers. so ur mix is 97% ie 9/10 to most ppl and uve done ur job.
props on bpms adjustment. its unnoticeable. even on that Mario remix that just sounded like a stunt.
props on the old school set. if a thug was in ur party ur song selection would make him feel guilty and make him change his ways lol.
i feel bad giving u 8/10 and 7 to blackgold9 when he spent a lot of money on his xp-10. but if one gets an xp-10 they must learn and perfect their skillz on it. and besides what matters to most is what comes from the speakers and not how much one has spent on what.
but lets not forget a dj/producer's as good as his lab. and if ur lab is cheap ur limited. so its only a matter of time xp-10 djs surpass u.

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 6:18 am
DJFocusPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Dj Mele

Very good mix. On the reggae end, im very impressed how you jumped from riddim to riddim. Especially from the Kopa to the Scoobay. Usually with me, I tend to use about 4 or 5 songs on a riddim and "riddim mix" like that, usually using the version(instrumental) of the upcomin riddim. But excellent job man...good to see another reggae dj on here

PS....the Kopa works really well with the Stepz riddim, and also if you dont have it yet, definately jump on that IceBreaker riddim. Fiyah that is man

Dj Focus

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 7:55 am
Thanks guys !

vpcdj, thanks for the .... well, "exhaustive" review [:o) Your critique skillz are amazing.

Just a couple of repsonses. Some of the Soca tracks were unknown titles. On the points around monotony etc., My style in the clubz is more of the medley type... 2 or so verses and then next track (feelin' the audience vibe). You hear more of that in the 2nd mix, especially with the uptempo dancehall. Although you can never satisfy everyone, I could make the same observation about many Techno type mixes. Techno type trax by themselves can be monotonous.

So these CD mixes of mine were meant to satisfy a wide audience... those who complain that the songs they like aren't played long enough, those who don't want to hear the same genre in the entire set, and for the Reggae headz, those who like to hear different artist on their favorite riddim track. (Notice that on the Riddims, I don't even play all the artists)

Anyhow, thanks again for the critique. Hit me up directly and I can give you the scoope on the Drops. You can get your own sent right to you on eMail and ready for use in vDJ.

Posted Fri 27 Jan 06 @ 3:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)