Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How do you get gigs?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Yeah, I know, this makes me sound incredibly stupid, but I have to ask. How do you guys all get your gigs?

Currently, I mostly just help out with youth dances at my church, but they don't have them nearly as often as I would like. I live in a fairly small city (about 50,000) and I am having a lot of trouble finding gigs. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Posted Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 10:56 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
a good way to get gigs is....

Hang out with established dj's.

I know it's kinda like being a rodie and that pretty much is what you would be doing.
You would be like a helper to an established dj. You know, Help carry equiptment and such. By doing this and having a relationship with that dj, you meet other dj's and interact in their shows.

you will put yourself in a position to open up shows for other dj's and that's where you get to shine and show what YOU can do.

From there it all grows.

Get business cards and pass them out.
Get business cards and pass them out.
Get business cards and pass them out!!!

Go to clubs and get to know the owners and promoters.
Show yourself to be reliable and one day...POW
You get to do the show.
You Rock the Show
You build your name up and....

You get more gigs than you can do yourself.

Thats when you reach behind you to help the next up in comming dj the same way you were helped.

DJ CITY

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 4:33 am
What I have done in the past is make a few mixed CDs, with labels containing all my contact info. I gave some out to the trendy boutiques in my borough, some college radio stations, and to party promoters etc.
As someone else said associating with some working Djs is a very good idea, but self promotion is always a
way to augment that association. Volunteer you services to charitable events and such. Make sure all your friends have atleast one 60 minute set on their ipods. The main thing is believe in your skillz and be persistent!!!!!!!!!

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 6:04 am
I am currenly a "rodie" for a DJ in my area, but I don't know if you would call him "established." I've been working with him for a year and I've learned a lot (not really so much from him just from experience and you guys and other places, I've actually taught him some things). I started out by finding and buying music for him, and editing songs (because it's for church dances). Then basically, I got additcted to VDJ, got really good, and I practically take over now. He gives me $50 a gig, which is ok, but the only problem is they are an average of two months apart. I have made out business cards and started handing them out as well. The last two gigs I did with him (a dance for older couples that he mostly took care of because he knows the older music better, and a dance for youth that I did almost completely myself) he gave me a small pitch telling everyone I was looking for gigs and I handed out some business cards, but I still haven't really had anything come of it.
As for clubs, I honestly don't think my city even has anything like that. Plus there's also the small fact that I'm only 18 so probably wouldn't be allowed in those anyways. I've also got a small website (it's rather pathetic, and I doubt anyone has even visited it besides a couple of my friends) http://www.freewebs.com/djstevenbarker
Any other suggestions (or ways to make my site better) would be great from any of you guys out there. Thanks a lot for all your help. I guess I just need to be more persistent, and also more patient.

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 7:24 am
Hi Steven,

I'm only new to the game myself so can't really suggest anything towards getting gigs as i am going down the same road as you in the fact i have a mate who is a DJ in a pub in a nearby town and he is on about putting on a dance and trance night there so i can have a small set and get some "crowd time" and make the step up from bedroom DJ but as for your website, have you thought about uploading a couple of examples of your work for prospective clients to download and listen to? Maybe get some photo's of yourself in action on there too. Also it's a silly question but is your Website address on your business card?

Stay Safe

Voodoo Ash

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 9:58 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Steven

my two pennies worth.

i've been dj'ing now for 2 and a half years. i work for 2 companies and also work for myself, so i tend to be fully booked every weekend. i also do a quiz on a thursday night and a sunday night so i'm pretty busy.

to be honest, my own mobile disco 'company' is very young. I do not get alot of business, but I appreciate that business will come in time. i have a website, business cards, email, contact number and what have you. perfect for people wanting to contact me which is your first priority running your own organisation.

secondly, i would think that you should offer people something that nobody else offers. At all of my gigs no matter what the function, i do a couple of party games to get the audience more involved (see my thread: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/42142/General_Discussion/Party_Games____o).html?highlight=party%20games ) which usually goes down well.

Thirdly, I do not drink at gigs. I maybe have one or two beers but I keep a cool head. It's easy to get carried away sometimes, especially if it's a friend you're doing the party for, but, the more professional you are at gigs, the more noticed you will be.

Next, never undersell yourself. If you charge like $200 for a gig but the next guy only charges $150, don't drop your price (unless you really can afford to...remember, it's your livelihood). If they persist on lower prices, let them have the $150 gig which wouldn't be as good as yours. When they hear all the good reports about you and how you wowed the crowd with all your differences, they will call. Charge the honest going rate and prove that your shows are worth the money.

I'm not saying I'm a brilliant dj, i'm saying i'm GOOD AT WHAT I DO. At the end of every single gig I've done (and i've done quite a few) from weddings to kids parties I've had good reports from the audience and the organisers of the function. This is always a booster and if one person tells five of their friends and those five tell another five 'oh, guess what i heard...' and so on and so forth, then you will get known. People will start to call. It does, however, take time and patience. Very often i get calls from people who were at one of their friends parties who liked the dj and want to book me, which is really nice.

You will never make it on your own you just expect the work to come your way (although i'm not saying that's how you are!). You have to go out and make a name for yourself. Get yourself advertised. Make fliers, get into your local telephone directory, get onto websites. Offer them something that they've not been offered and you will get the business.

There's a guy at a bar in another town from me who is the regular dj there. I've done a couple of gigs for him in the past and they've been fine. Last week i did a gig in another bar and there was a person there who's daughter is having a 21st at this regular guy's bar in a couple of weeks and she wants me to do this gig as opposed to the other regular guy. The reason for this is that I offer something different than 'bump, bump, bump' all night. So, as much as I feel a bit shit for taking away this other guys business, at the end of the day, business in business, and you have to go with the customer's wishes. If he's not very good then he will lose the work and it will, ultimately, go to someone else.

Another thing that might prove a bit of a pain in the ass is the fact that it's January. From experience, January and February tend to be the national 'hangover' months after Christmas and New Year where gigs can be few and far between. They are not non existant, however (i've had a gig or two every week in January so far) and it will start to pick up very soon. As soon as it does, your name will be out there and people will call.

Ultimately, however, it's good to work for someone else for two reasons:

1/ You get to practice constantly
2/ You are earning money to better yourself (gear/music etc)

But it's always nice to get your own gigs...:o)

Hope this helps ease your mind a bit. Like I say, my two pennies worth...although everyone has their own opinion on how it should be done.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 12:05 pm
@ Voodoo:
Yes, I have the website on the card. The main reason I put up the site was because I couldn't fit everything I wanted to say on the card. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get pictures for the site and upload a few samples of my work.

@ Pionara:
I think that advice was worth more than two cents. The DJ I have been working with also tries to get in a party game or two at each gig, and I agree that it's a good idea (as long as you read the crowd to know what they would like).

Thanks a lot everyone

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 8:05 pm
Basically the thing is that alot of people out there sell that they play music as Pionara said you want to sell yourself. If a client wasnts new top 40 music there is going to be alot of people out there that can do that. You need to sell yourself deffinetly buisness cards give them to everyone you know at shows give the people you do the show for a stack of cards.

Talk to local bars, not club like bars but regular bars, and see if you can DJ there every tuesday or thursday or something. Charge them cheap for first month and then full price the second so they can get some loyal followings and some momentum before you charge your full price. Make them feel like you are on their side trying to help them out.

Umm demo cds help for clubs and bars but if you are going for more mobile events they, in my opinion, are not neccessary. When, if, you plan on doing weddings talk to the video grapher, if there is one, and see if you can get some raw footage of the events you did. Mess around with this to see if you can make a demo video.

Talk to the vendors at the places you DJ they are by far one of the best tools you will ever have. We get hundreds and hundreds of leads from wherever but whenever I get a referral from one of the vendors I work with I get 99.999999% of them no questions ask. Dont forget the same works in reverse if tey dont like you it can be one of the worst things for you.

IO deenitley agree with Pionara about underselling, dont do it, I have brides come to me all the time and say that they wouldnt book with someone strictly because his price was to low. If you need an event and you are willing to cut your price make them feel as if they are the most important people ever, that you normally charge $X but because you like tem, especially with bars, and you look foward to working with them again you will give them a discount of $Y.

I definetly say that a website is a plus even if it is simple but a bad website is a big big big minus.
ww.UDJAZ.com

Ive been DJing for 7 years now and started doing school dances with book shelf speakers, radio shack mixer, 5cd changer and a walkman. So dont get to fustrated just keep working at it.

If you need buisness cards for an absolutely amazing price for the quality go to www.Rushflyers.com
Im not at all associated with this service but i will say they are amazing i have purchased from them for buisness cards postacrds etc 7 times now and never had a problem.

If you need anything feel free to ask
Noah S
Universal DJ
Custom Sound and Vision

P.S. I own a equipment company so if you need anything ill see what i can do
480-241-7282

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 5:27 am
I think a couple of my main drawbacks are the fact that I live in a pretty small town. I think we only have one small bar, and I wouldn't be allowed inside anyways because I'm only 18. I will keep trying though, I've got a lot of business cards (I actually have 11 different designs... :-D I had fun with photoshop!) Thank you all very much for all the help!!

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 6:25 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
18 legal age to work so that shouldnt be a problem if u have the skillz. no one's allowed to drink on the job so it shouldnt be a problem. then again we're talkin about the entertainment industry...

best way to get gigs is just be around people and events and have a business card and pass them around... spring and summer r right around the corner. the gigs will come.

(also) go to the local college(s) and talk to the college frats and sororities and give them ur mix and business cards. its easier to work with the girls.

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 5:31 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
you call 50,000 a city?

Posted Fri 24 Feb 06 @ 5:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)