Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help with New Mixer/Time Coded vinyl/ NEW AMP?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I just got a Rane TTM-54i mixer, 2 technics 1200 MK5 turntables, 2 dj nightclub orotofon needles, 2 pyle pro 10" amplified speakers. I also got two time coded vinyls and will eventually get that set up. My problem is I installed everything, hit the start button, dropped the needle, but here was the problem...

I could not hear virtually any sound out of my speakers, except when I put the master output on my mixer on 10. Do I need to buy an amp, and if so, any good inexpensive recommendations? I was confused because my speakers are supposed to be powered speakers, yet there is no sound. Thanks in advance.

Posted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 5:43 am
which sound card r u using?

Posted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 6:12 am
I'm using the gigaport ag.

Posted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 6:14 am
I don't know about the gigaport but with my soundcard i.e. U46DJ, I always have to mute then unmute the master volume for the output to become louder. You could try that if the gigaport has this feature.

Posted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 6:23 am
Actually I'm not using the time vinyl yet or the gigaport. My question is more of a mixer/amplifier question. The soundcard I'm using is actually not being used yet.

Posted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 6:24 am
Oh sorry I misunderstood you. I just read your post again n from what u said I think you definetely need an amp beacause the pre-amp on most mixers is not strong enough to drive the speakers. If your speakers are powered speakers, then I don't know what the problem could be. I can't recommend any amps, cause i don't really know about amps that much. Ope I helped, good luck.

Posted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 6:29 am
You do not need a amp, if your speakers are powered. It sounds like you do not have things hooked up correctly. If your speakers have an ac plug on them, they are powered. This is the way things should be hooked up. Your turntables plug into your mixers phono inputs. Lets put the left turntable into phono 1 input. The right TT into phono 2. If your inputs can be switched from line/phono, switch it to phono. Take your left output on the mixer, to the left speaker. The right output to the right speaker. Make sure the volumes are down on the mixer and the speakers. Turn on the mixer, now turn on the speakers. Turn the volume on the speakers to 12 o'clock. Turn the main volume on the mixer half way. Play something on TT 1. Turn up the volume to that channel, slowly. You should hear sound. Let us know what happens.

Posted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 7:44 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)