Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hercules / Behringer Contrilers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Can someone help me out with this? I am a PRO DJ and am looking into mixing from my laptop and will use VDJ. I will either use TCV or if its worth it, one of the controlers. If any of you have read any of my previous notations in these forums then you know that I am a Pro DJ that has used vinal for the last 15 years and got into cdj'ing in the past 5 years. I have my turntables, my mixer, My sound system. I have a laptop w/ VDJ trial and am SERIOUSLY looking towards purchasing the full version. I still have a question or two (maybe more than two). I have never DJ'ed with any kind of controler. When DJ'ing cd's I use my Pioneers or my Denons. this CPU DJ'ing is brand new to me so....

1. How would someone set up and use a Hercules or Behringer controler?

2. What does one need (hardware) in order to use one of these controls?

3. Can you "really" scratch with one of these?

4. Is one better than the other and if so why?

Im sure the answers to these questions will prompt more questions from me. I just don't know what to ask yet and I want to be SURE about stuff before I put my cash out.
Thanx...
DJ CITY
Washington D.C.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 6:58 pm
If you mainly use dual CD players, the DAC-3 would be the best choice. This provides a very familiar interface, allowing you to control VDJ with all the same functionality direct from the controller. It has free-spinning jogwheels and LCD displays showing time remaining, pitch/BPM, etc., along with plenty of buttons to control VDJ without needing to touch the PC/laptop. My custom mapper for the DAC-3 gives similar behaviour to dual-CD players, along with direct access to FX, loops and video mixing (Including automatic video crossfading.)

It's possible to do some basic scratching on the DAC-3, but if scratching is important, you would be better off with timecode vinyl or XP10's. You can easily use timecode vinyl alongside the DAC-3, giving you both the benefits of vinyl and CD mixing.

For the Hercules/Behringer - I don't think anybody has a Behringer BCD2000 yet, but in theory this should work with VDJ because it's a MIDI controller, but you would have to map every button up manually. The Hercules DJ console has native support in VDJ and will work straight out of the box.

The Hercules and Behringer are all-in-one solutions, so if you use (Or want to use) a proper DJ mixer, you'd be better of with the DAC-3, XP10's or timecode vinyl.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 7:12 pm
jpboggis, Thanx you have answerd some of my questions. I am used to DJ'ing with my Technics turntables or my Denon 5000's I used to have Numark 88 but I like 2 decks instead of dual cd players. I am always looking for more feedback!!!

The next question I would have is...MAP BUTTONS MANUALLY?????????? What does that mean?

Also, Anyoun that read the first post in this thread, Please give me feedback on the first post as well as my response to what jpboggis wrote.

Thanx
DJ CITY

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 7:24 pm
The DAC-3 is very similar in look and feel to the Numark CDN-88, but if you prefer separate turntables, XP10's and/or timecode vinyl would be best choice. You will need a suitable ASIO soundcard for timecode vinyls, such as Maya 44 USB.

Alternatively, you could use your Denon 5000's with timecode CD's - However, you would not be able to use timecode vinyl at the same time.

By map buttons manually, I mean there is no built-in support or ready-made MIDI mappings for the Behringer BCD2000 (No-one has one yet!), so you would need to map each button up yourself using the shortcut mapper in VDJ (Similar to making keyboard shotcuts.) This could be quite time-consuming.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 7:40 pm
Exactly like Jpboggis says...
If you are used to having a deck/turntable on each side of your mixer (club dj setup), I would go for either timecode (vinyl or cd) or get the XP10 controllers (VERY similar feel to them as the Denon and Pioneer decks, although a bit smaller jogwheels for sure)

XP10 works precicely like the Pioneer cd players (800/1000), and even the Denon, but it does not have a spinning platter.. Touch sensitive just like Pioneer (in vinyl mode).
You can also try timecode cd (free, downloaded from this website). It makes your dj hardware control Virtual DJ, just as you are used too. Timecode still needs a bit of work, but straight forward play work well :)

If you look here: http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html , you can get an impression on what its all about :)

Timecode vinyls and VDJ in action on video here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/download/virtualdj_by_dj_getdown.wmv

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 8:02 pm
the xp10's are EXPENSIVE!!! and your right. For all that i would use my own equiptment. I guess i'm trying to downsize. carry less than I used to. Thats why I switched from wax to cd. I am trying to figure out if one of the controlers like the hercules or the behringer BCD 2000 would take the place of the turntables AND the mixer. is it like you just connect the Hercules or Behringer straight to your laptop and the hercules or Behringer connects to your crossover, or EQ, or amp...depending on what kind of set up you have. i'm trying to figure out if one ot these products takes the place of your decks AND mixer.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 8:19 pm
DJ-IN-NORWAY...

do the TCV's REALLY preform like that? I know you yourself have said that the tcv's need some work. what I saw and heard in the video was pretty good.
so whats the deal...
can you REALLY scratch like that with tcv's or is it just a good looking and sounding promo?

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 9:23 pm
deck AND mixer, its only Hercules Mk2 for sure...
But its MIDI, so everything is in software (controlled by the Hercules)

Now, I have the Hecules MK2.
But at gigs, I still connect it to an external mixer. I use the jogwheels and play/loop/cue buttons at the console, but all other at external mixer. Reson is that the hardware EQ's, hardware crossfader and the hardware to speakers/amp in real hardware is far more pro.

You CAN use the Hercules only, as a mixer... for example at a private party, mobile pub job etc. But I would still recomment bringing your real mixer.

Now, the Hercules ALSO have 2x line in, in ASIO mode, so its perfect for connecting your CDplayers too it also, using timecode OR real cds (the console have HARDWARE bypass).

so, guess you see the reason for me getting the console ;)
Not only is it a brilliant soundcard ... its also a pretty neat controller :)

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 9:28 pm

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 9:32 pm
I may just get one...(Hercules mkll) still gonna do some homework on them. But what I really wanna know is...

Do the time coded vinal truly act and sound as good and as accurate in real everyday life as they do in the DJ Getdown promo video? I mean... No joke. How good are they. I want to know if the video is just hype and promotional, or can your average dj get the same results and sound using his or her own LAPTOP, mixer, turntables and the time coded vinal.
PLEASE... No fluff. Just let me know 4real how it really is.

I've got the tcv already and I am waiting on the maya44 usb to arrive. I think I read that you can't use tcv with the trial version. Is this true? I would love to try this out BEFORE chucking my hard earned cash over. If I can't try before purchasing the full version... Well, lets just say that I am trusting in your honesty and integrity.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 9:55 pm
you can only use 1 TCV with the trial version and you cannot use it in real ASIO mode.

as far as if they truly feel and sound like genuine vinyl....NO
you'll never get the sound of a real vinyl with software. if your looking for that exact sound stick with your milk crates heh. The sound is pretty decent although will surely get better within the next few updates as the dev team works on it. Scratch sound is alright although just don't try any advanced scratches since that will create some pops and distortion. if your only mixing music and doing basic scratches your getting pretty much the same feel as vinyl although sound of cd deck scratches (ex Pioneer CDJ 800 or 1000).

I don't want to start another war about the DJ Getdown video although if you look carefully the editing of the video was either done VERY poorly or it was a pre-recorded mix. if you carefully look at the markers on the vinyl you can see the white stickers jump from side to side in a matter of seconds when the camera changes. Besides that at the time of the recording it was Virtual DJ 2.06, there was some really bad drifting issues which were fixed with the 3.0 patch so scratching was a pretty bad control back then. I personally think it was a fake video for promotional purposes although now with version 3.0 and up I'm positive you can acheive a similar scratch.

I'm sure the TCV and sound will get MUCH better with the next few versions so I hope the dev team keeps up the good work.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 10:11 pm
you can test timecode with the demo... i think. Not sure

Or at least with the free console version of Virtual DJ that comes with Hercules MK2.

Timecode still need some development, but its good for straight forward play and some scratching.
Timecode CD has some problems with cue/first beat scratch, because the timecode can't tell the software where you are, when its all quiet. But there might be a solution for that too....

you should try it at least, some are very happy ... some are not :)

Controllers work 100% - they are midi.. So getting the console is not a bad idea ;)
Very happy with my console... one friendly "warning" is that it might look a bit "toy-ish" and it is a bit small, but still... Very good soundcard, and a pretty neat controller for sure.

About the video... It was made by a user. If it's fake or not, I dont know...
But you can do what he does in the 3.x version of Virtual DJ...

Give it a try, the timecode CD's are free for download. Hook it up in the Denon decks, and try :)

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 10:45 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
yer the getdown video is not all live. its a live mix/cratch session with bits of filler pasted on top at some bits, there is this one bit rite in the middle where he looks at the camera in a funny way and u can see hes just arseing about with the crossfader not realy doing anything and then it cuts rite back to the real video. there is no faking the liveness of some of that scratching the crossfader is perfectly in line with scratches, you couldnt possibly paste a different video over a pre reccorded vinyl scratch session with that accuracy.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 1:17 am
Yeah I was noticing that. I don't know how someone could fake the whole thing but if someone can scratch like that on real wax and record it...That person can do the exact same thing again or close enuff that another person can't tell it's not live. I did see where his record marker did an impossible move during the same scratch. Me personally... I ain't buying the video being live. I think it's pre-recorded and the dj just has the skills to reproduce the movements again and again. Hell... I can play one of my mix cd's at a live show and act like i'm doing it live... it's my cd, I did the dj'ing on it in the first place. I've done the same mixes and scratches time and time again so why not do it over a pre-recorded cd. It's something to think about.

As for the TCV, I will have to take dj-in norway's word for it that the TCV has advanced to the point that a dj really can scratch like that with them and this program.

IF ANYONE HAS HAD A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE OR HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION PLEASE COMMENT ON IT!!!!!

I look forward to reading your comments

Posted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 1:40 am
you CAN scratch like that for sure with Virtual DJ 3.0...
Take Whites word for it, he would know ;)

Now, I've checked the story about the video... its ONLY edited bad, because of bad noize from the crossfader from one of the camera angles...
So he added another angle purly for the production of the video, but the mixing (the sound) is real.
Thats is comming from a live witness that saw him to this exact same set live at a concention...

Anyways, its all possible ... thats not the discussion at all :) its only the bad editing of the video (markers) and the time when he did it (VDJ 2.06) that made people wonder...

No reason to wonder about it at all, in Virtual DJ 3.

But we should have someone to make more videos for sure :)

Posted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 10:45 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Maybe i can do some when i found the time.
I've made for mixvibes also.

Posted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 2:40 am
that would be great Apopsis :)

would be cool to have more demo videos of scratching possibilities in Virtual DJ

Posted Sun 08 Jan 06 @ 1:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)