Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Creating MP3 Turntables

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I am doing a degree in electronic engineering and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
The aim of my project is to make a set of turntables and a mixer control the playback of MP3s on my PC, so I will be using a record with a timecode to send information about the position in the track and the direction of movement etc to the computer, where a program will decipher the information and play the mp3 accordingly.
The thing is, I am not really sure what I need to do this, I will end up using existing equipment for a a lot of it and I'm not sure whether theres enough that i can do on my own to make it worth doing the project... What happens to the signal taken from the time-coded record?
Any help on this subject much appreciated, as i am a bit behind on my project and really need some help!!!
Cheers guys!
Ol

Posted Sat 24 Dec 05 @ 6:08 pm
mmmm I think the the question you have asked would be a conflict of intrest ! the thing is it would kinda be like asking kernel sanders what's in his "secret recipe" ! ( @ vdj staff : correct me if I'm wrong in the above statement ?) the thing is its already been done several times so why try re-invent the wheel ?

but to answer your question its all about allgarithems, its 1000000 little dots that each have a number attatched that coincied with a tenth of a second in the track that is associated with a mathematical sum determining the position of the wave at a specific moment in time. - I think !?

its more of a science than art form behind the scene's but as evey one here can agree when it comes down to the crunch making mixing feeling music is by far more of an art form than a science !
luv to all and a merry christmass ! keep spinnin'

spider 911 - spin spin spider

Posted Sat 24 Dec 05 @ 8:58 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
if your after a free way of mapping a TCV or TCCD to an input then simply look to Mrs Pinky cause its all easy to use and developer based

Posted Sun 25 Dec 05 @ 3:17 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
... and if you want to buy some Ms Pinky Vinyl, let me know because I have some that I no longer use at all.

Posted Mon 26 Dec 05 @ 6:28 pm
mfdoomHome userMember since 2005
Hi thanks for the help guys, I am not too familiar with ms pinky, but I do need a timecoded record to work from and I would like ideally to be able to make some of the electronics between the mixer and the PC myself and maybe do some programming in VB to process the signal on the PC and input it into some existing DJ software.
I am definately interested in getting some ms pinky vinyl off you frd1963...
The only thing is, when I set out to do this product, I had no idea that there were so many existing mp3 turntable systems already out there, I wanted to do something new and now it seems like I am just copying a system that already exists and that is manufactured by several companies already. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas how I could make my system a little more unique? or any ideas for new features that aren't on the current systems on the market..?

Really appreciate the help guys, sorry if I posted this on the wrong forum.

Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 3:48 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i'm not really sure why you would do it other then it's fun and enjoy do that kind of programming which would be cool. I would say that this is a type of reverse engineering and that is prohibited by the VDJ license so i don't think you will get much help here. Good luck you metalfaced terrorist ;)

Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 4:13 pm
I do not recommend to create a sort like application in VB. Far too much overhead, so it will be terribly slow. For this kind of application you need to switch over to C++
Ewout

Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 7:14 pm
assembly language probably. better still machine code handwriting the 1s and 0s to squease every last instruction cycle out of the thing. borland visual C++ is comprehensive and easy to learn, well easier than asembler lol. if you wanted to put your own spin on the whole MP3 controll you could add a function to record manipulations performed on the vinyl for use and combination at a later time.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 2:43 am
I really can't code C++ - I had a module on it last semester and found it very difficult...

Is there any software out there that hasn't got the ability to control MP3's from the timecode signal? If there is then I was thinking I could work on them, and somehow make a system that could control the software.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 06 @ 4:50 pm
yes, mrs pinky does exactly this, as i allready said. and you can tack whatever you want onto it to make it as unique as you want. if you cant program how were you planning on creating a software to use timecode?

Posted Sat 07 Jan 06 @ 1:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)