Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ripping music videos from Promoonly DVD's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Well, I've only looked through about half of this forum. I'm sure this has already been covered, but here goes nothing....

I've got ton's of DVD's from Promoonly and have just aquired some massive external HD's. Now I would like to rip my collection to digital format. I thought it was going to be easy, but DVD's seem to be a pain in the butt for me. Would anyout out there in the community like to share their system for ripping their DVD's?

I have about 3000 vids and 500 gigs of space. I always have the ability to aquire more space, but I hope this will be sufficiant. Could anyone recommend any software to ease this process, and discuss their thought on the various video formats (because for some reason VDJ can handle EVERY friggin' video format!! yay!), and any pitfalls you've encountered in your DVD ripping experience.

Thanks again guys,

Shawn Weber
Eclipse Sound & Lighting

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 9:56 pm
I can see some of you use 'Smartripper' for this. I use 'Nero' for my .wav files, but i needed to get an update to do this. Does anyone know if there is an update for 'Nero' to handle ripping DVD's?

Posted Thu 15 Dec 05 @ 2:06 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
shawnweber,

Don't loose your time, Smartripper v 2.41 is the faster way to rip your DVDs.

Posted Thu 15 Dec 05 @ 2:39 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Shawn,

Smartripper is definitely the suggested way to go; quick rips, and no loss in quality. The problem is that the resulting .vob files (MPEG2) will be about 200MB average. A quick calculation tells us that 3000 of these will take up about 600GB, which is more disk space than you have. So you have 3 choices:

1) Don't rip all of your videos... pick through and only do your favorite 85% of them.
2) Get more drive space.
3) Settle for lower quality, such as MPEG1 in which the files average about 50MB.

Choice 3 is probably best, and the quality really isn't that much lower especially considering how much more efficiently the data is stored; however, if possible, I would have to suggest choice 2 because that is what I chose when faced with the same decision. Hard drives are always coming down in price, so as you outgrow a drive, you can plan for the next generation to be more affordable. Also, from my experience, MPEG2 compression seems to be easier for the computer to decompress and therefore will probably run a bit smoother then a more highly compressed format on a computer of questionable capabilities.

Posted Thu 15 Dec 05 @ 3:29 pm

For some videos I use DivX6... A 210MB MPEG-2 (or VOB) converted to a DivX6 HIGH DEF it's only a 26MB file. You can give it a try for some videos that don' have to much quality.

Good Luck!

Posted Thu 15 Dec 05 @ 9:01 pm
DivX6 is pretty damn close to DVD quality....

would to well for almost any user, and wow.... 26 mb for a video file is nothing! :)

Posted Thu 15 Dec 05 @ 9:04 pm

With a 26MB video file the quality in video is awsome, but I want more quality in the audio section. DivX have fixed configurations, maybe we can have another configs to have great sound too (say 192VBR). (Now is something in 128VBR).

Posted Thu 15 Dec 05 @ 9:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)