Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ's - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

sorry to say, have to go with DJ_whiteDVL on this....

he's absolutely right... and had the pleasure of a close and personal webcam presentation of the good and bad sides of TC... :)

And the best side of it, of course... is that it can be made better.. :) VDJ will improve TC for sure..

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 5:59 pm
and that much I really don't doubt norway. We just have to all be patient and give the dev team some time to fix everything as well as try to add as many features as the thousands of users want lol.

For all those who are worried about bad sound from TCV and are thinking twice about purchasing, let me make 1 point for all of you.

If your blending songs together, mixing, beat matching, doing basic scratches (baby scratch, flare, tear, crab, etc) it will sound as good as what you will get from ANY cd deck currently on the market.

For those who are hardcore turntabilist or starters at the turntabilist style. just don't try any slow scratches or very fast scratches (Uzi, scribble speed) that is the ONLY time I've noticed issues so at the moment I scratch using real vinyl and use TCVs to mix my music together.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 6:04 pm

VERY well said White...
Exactly what you showed me last nite :)

Hopefully better algoritm for TC, and such features as absolute mode and more will be added real soon..... I guess video and timestrech got in the way, but TC is definitively the issue that should be looked into real soon...

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 6:10 pm
I just tried this last night and there is absolutely no difference between playing a track 'straight up' or using TCV to control the track..

Although I can see how doing serious scratching would not go too well with VDJ TCV as it's by far the worst TimeCode Vinyl I know. But that is (strictly) a TCV and tracking issue.

dj-in-norway knows of 'the other program from the darkside' ;) Would be interesting to hear how you do there using the same VDJ TCV.. make sure you run in ASIO though!

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 6:34 pm
'the other program from the darkside' .... that uses VIRTUAL DJ TIMECODE ... hehe :) lol

Ask Adion... your big hero....Virtual DJ timecode is a lot like SSL... no big difference ....
It all depends on the software and the algorithm... He should know for sure...
And VDJ TC have more timestamps than FS, making it more accurate... (says even your hero adion)

You are prob a nice person Paul... but some of the stuff you are saying is plain bull..
sorry....

Stuff like VDJ sounds like low-bitrate mp3, don't support mute reverse, and timecode cant be read backwards... not correct at all Paul... sorry! :)

A lot of the stuff you are saying only shows how little you know, and also make its so transparent the support and love you have for 'the other program from the darkside' that its at the border of tragic-comedy now! :) hehe ...

you're just throwing out comments ...
reverse/forward mute is NOT part of any timecode, but a software feature! And is also supported in VDJ since 2.06 i think....

You are free to believe and support in the 'the other program from the darkside' ...
You are one of the most active users on their forum.. but no need to repetely try to promote it here at VDJ forum... its plain silly.... :)

So please... enough with the over and over and over again promotion of the "other" software...

its getting silly :) sorry...

Feel free to be constructive... but think about it... If VDJ timecode was that bad, Adion would not have done all the trouble supporting it :)

Its all the matter of software... and VDJ will develope for the better for sure... :)
Faster algorithm, better detection etc...

happy mixing and peace on earth... :)

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 7:15 pm
FS vs Virtual DJ timecode :

SSL vs MixVibes timecode :

As you can see VDJ timecode and SSL is very much the same, and possible to read both ways..

All the rest is up to the software, how fast it detects the code, algorithm... and latency of soundcard.

VDJ still needs a bit of work with using its timecode, but the timecode in itself is not bad...

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 8:20 pm

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 8:23 pm
well yeah there are a few erros pretty much all over the place on that list Norway (not just with VDJ) But since that list was created there has been many updates.

I have tried DJ Decks. One thing that DJ Decks didn't like at all is a midi controller. Nor did it like my Ozone workstation to act as a soundcard.

I connected everything up and it sure works well in VDJ (forward/reverse) same setup in DJ Decks, tried many options but I couldn't even get sound out of my Ozone without using TCV :/

I'm not putting DJ Decks down at all. But it sure has a way to go as far as hardware support. The only comparible software available on the market right now (and this is really speaking towards TCV/options wise) is Serato Scratch Final YET before jumping to any conclusions make sure you do a price comparisson.

I really can't complain about VDJ. I love all of its features (endless loops, VST plugin support, samples, effects, changeable skins)

SSL lacks all of these neat features although gives you the BEST TCV experience available (again for those that love scratching since basic stuff works pretty much the same in all software).

I'm sure the Dev team will be fixing all the audio issues (master tempo, TC, etc) We all just have to be patient and maybe in a year or so VDJ will be even better then SSL. Who knows
All I can say is that VDJ saves me a 3rd and sometimes a 4th deck when I'm mixing, gives me a lot more time to make my mixes flawless and I no longer have to dig through crates of records to find the 1 song a person requested lol. A low price, all these features to make your job easier and awesome support on the forums. What more can one ask?

I know for a fact that SSL doesn't offer half of what VDJ offers now. The only good thing I can say about SSL would be the scratch sound and vinyl feel. The rest is 100% VDJ.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 8:59 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
erm what paul was saying about the 'timecode not being read in reverse' was not total bull, because thats not what he said, he said about how it did not read the time stamps or whatever they're called in reverse and that it only had velocity info in reverse. im wondering if this is the reason that if i backspin quite fast (and the needle doesnt jump) when the reccord returns to forward motion it has a little click as it jumps to the correct position if it had not drifted? if its true that it doesnt read the position markers in reverse then any drift would be corrected only when the reccord started forwards again.

in another point; been looking around on other PC DJ forums and there allways seems to be members of the team on there discussing things. are there any developers in the french forums can anyone tell me or do they just not get involoved on the forums at all?

PS can anyone tell me how much difference needles can make to how easily they skip when you scratch fast and heavy?

Posted Thu 15 Dec 05 @ 4:26 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Posted Thu 15 Dec 05 @ 5:21 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
yeh ive heard good things about them, a friend reccomended them to me. Said most clubs use them cause they're so dependable.

what i want to know tho is how much difference will i make to how easily it skips when you scratch. obv im not realy interested in sound quality or output (would high output help VDJ if im not using preamps?) just thinking that a nice pair of needles would stop it skipping as easy. im allready using 3g of force and straight tone arms.

Posted Sat 17 Dec 05 @ 2:10 am
Needles have a LOT to say for skipping, and the needle ACW mentions, is made for scratch...

For tweaking a skip-free use of vinyls, read more here:
http://topdjgear.infopop.cc/a_TURNTABLIST_1-Oct-01.htm

Virtual DJ have an anti-skip feature that can aid you some, if you do have problems with skipping needle on your turntable... check in advanced timecode setup

Posted Sat 17 Dec 05 @ 8:22 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Xeo,

My recommendation is the best quality for the money. Are cheap are good, and have a long life. (I use these needles when I start mixing back in 1979).

Try it, you will be pleased.

Posted Mon 19 Dec 05 @ 6:35 am
I used to use the Shure needles back in the mid 80's. Back then they only cost about $25.00 each. They the best scratching needles that I used.

MS

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 4:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)