Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Outcome of testing on new system - 'Cyder could use ya if you are around..'

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Video card - Leadtek 6600GT - Either bad Card or PCIE slot is bad. I just can't catch a break. RMA'd back to Newegg. When it heated up just a little bit Screen would freeze and blink. I don't have another compujter to test this on so I am sending it back in hopes it is the card. I am back on my ATI 9600 without any issues. Just slower and program still eats up resources becuase it is PCI.

Skipping - I narrowed it down to having skipping happen only when the DAC2 controller is plugged in. Tried reinstalling driverswithout luck. Plays perfect without the DAC-2 connected. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you to all of those that have been helping me through this ordeal. I am back up and running on my laptop for now. Videos will have to wait.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 6:17 pm
One word comes to mind......Ram........and how much do you have?

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 6:36 pm
Sorry Raw Bear.. This system has massive everything (except video card which I was trying to upgrade)... A copule of people know me and my issues. Actually Cyder reccomended almost my entire setup. I am just having some bad luck.

To answer your question I have 2 gig.

Checking my blog will show pictures and specs.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 6:43 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I don't like riser cards Val, it's just one more connection to question.
And you questioned the socket, thats the first thing that came to mind.
I run a 3U but with vertical card mount chassis.

Too bad there's no way to run the card direct on the MB.

What would really suck is if the new one reacts the same way.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 8:43 pm
Believe me I am thinking the same thing. I just did buy the riser card if that is bad so I can just exchange that but what if the board pcie is bad. That would really suck. I'll have to email Les but he offers only 90 days and I'm at about 6 months, although I bearly used this. I wish I had another computer to test it on.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 9:02 pm
I thought you got the system from Les, he is a very reasonable guy.
I would contact him and discuss it just for shits.

I don't know why he would use a chassis that requires a riser card to make the MB workable, unless it was 2U.
Push comes to shove, i'd put that whole thing into one of these.
http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=CK350&Category_Code=3U

Check my blog for top down pics.
I think it cost me $185 and it holds 4 drives currently.
Fits perfectly into a Gator 10X6.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 9:21 pm
It is a 2U which I requested. Have it in a 10x4 Gator case right now. I'm going to retest the new card and see what happens then call him. I haven't for several months. He was insisting the card I have would be fine. It really bogged the system down. I don't know too much about building a computer but I am learning as I get more into this and reading everything I cna find and really see why the PCI won't won't and why Cyder said I should go to the 6600 card. If the screen didn't freeze and blink the system flew except for the skipping which is a seperate issue. I'm sure it will work out. Just wondering how to stop the conflict with the DAC2 and sound card. Very strange.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 9:38 pm
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
I have a 2U chassis, with riser card, 2GB RAM, 6600GT and Waveterminal192X. Also have the DAC-3 working well. I've not experienced your issues. This is just to let you know these components can and do work together well. I hope you get good results with the replacement part.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 11:28 pm
Wow that looked like a 3U to me.

As Tom said, it will and does work, but the additional connection makes me wonder in this case.

Posted Sat 03 Dec 05 @ 12:31 am
Tom,

Which brand 6600gt card do you have? I have a Leadtek. But I know there are several others. Any preference?

Posted Mon 05 Dec 05 @ 5:34 am
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
I picked up the EVGA e-GeForce 6600 GT from www.newegg.com
Love it!

Posted Mon 05 Dec 05 @ 5:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)