Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Feature Requests: VirtualDJ for VJ´s?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I mainly do VJing and I know that in the VJ corner there is a huge request for apps that can beatmatch music videos (AVDJ). VirtualDJ seems the best app for this purpose, but there are some things that would be great to advance it:

- Freeframe support http://freeframe.sourceforge.net/
It should not be hard to implement and give more than 100 free visual plugins

- Midi controll of Effect variables

- Midi out of Faders and Knob so other programs can be controlled by them. This can be solved the other way by using midi equipment.. but whould be much nicer to have it build in. Would be great if the DJ console in Controller mode (not midi mode) could be used to control external applications.

- Option to diplay both videos in mix side by side (so they can be further processed in another app)

What do you thing about these ideas?

Cheers

Meierhans

Posted Wed 30 Nov 05 @ 11:32 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Maybe in the future. And midi is the way to go to program all effects in a nob or a fader, because you can choose the hardware you like more or what you need.

This could be speed up if you buy the FULL version to support the Development Team.

Posted Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 1:23 am
"This could be speed up if you buy the FULL version to support the Development Team."

Please stop bugging me with this. I OWN a full version, its only the Hercules Version but this is also a legal license and you should stop treating users who BOUGHT it second class. I was already upset to see I still have level 0 after registration, no updates, no plugins... but this goes to far.
I tried the Trial and I will buy a full version if it fit my needs - not when you promise it will do so one day.
Sorry for beeing harsh, I understand the problem of cracked software. But you should not see this too negative: Somebody who used a cracked version and gets more pro - guess what DJ software he will buy to get the full support he needs for his work? If VirtualDJ gets THE standard DJ software on long term - however this is archived - do you think you will sell more or less licenses?
You should be more careful how you treat your customers - even if they are running shitty Hercules Console Version.

Ok, peace. I want to be constructive, because I like your software and I think its the best around.

In case of Hercules Console Midi is sadly not the way to go. You can choose either to access the external Midi input OR the buttons jogs and knobs as midi input - not both. So you need a Midi2USB converter. And I don´t want to carry another piece of kit around. You also get into problems if you want to do all the routing by hand, I could not get the lights working... not perfect at all.

Just my 2 cents.
;)

Posted Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 8:18 am
"Hercules DJConsole Edition : You have a Hercules DJConsole"

Maybe such misunderstandings would be avoided I this shows up in forum. It always says: "No Licensed User" which is in fact wrong since I own the license for DJ console.

Posted Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 8:22 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Meierhans,

I'm sorry to piss you off with my words. I'm appologize for that.

The Hercules DJConsole has a special limited version of VirtualDJ. That's why you only could have VDJ v.1.9. You have a better status than others, but you have not pay a 130 euros software in a 240 euros hardware. I know it isn't clear enough, I'm sorry with that, but it's what it is.

Between the 1.9 version and the 3.2 the difference are hugh. Maybe I'm wrong but I think in this version are a SDK for DJConsole that make it a way to change what ever you want in your Console functions. Not only a Midi mapper, but the way this midi is going to work.

Posted Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 2:58 pm
Thx for the info, but I´m not that much into programming that I could handle a SDK. In fact DJ console is not sold with a demo version, but with a limited, especially for the console fitted version. There are no grayed out menu items not time limit. This is what all the shops write and this is what is written on the CD - nothing about Demo.

Posted Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 10:06 pm
@meierhans

true, you dont have a demo version, but a fully working console edition of Virtual DJ ;)

It has no time limitations, and is a dedicated version for the Hercules console.

Some features are only available in your full pro version of our software...

For a comparison you can always look here :
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/comparison.html

And the only reason for saying "no licence user" is because there is no serial nimber in the Console1 version. Therefor in THEORY, you could just borrow a console, and get it detected :) With the new MK2 /MP3 console, there IS a serial number, and you can see "home edition user" in their profile. But you have the icon showing that console1 have been detected :)

Now, lets all be happy, and mix some good music ;)

Posted Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 10:16 pm
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
@meierhans:
I just took a look at the FreeFrame format you said, and indeed there seems to be many pretty effects there, so I've added native compatibility for it in VirtualDJ.

However, since we just released 3.2, I doubt the next release will be before next year, so for those who can't wait until then, I also made a quick wrapper plugin, so you can play with it right away.
You can download it from the plugin section: "FFWrapper".

Oh, and since meierhans seems annoyed by the "demo user" denomination, and to thank you for the nice link, I exceptionaly made you level 1 ;)

About the other comment you made, sending midi infos, or keyboard shortcuts, or anything, to other softwares from the djconsole while in virtualdj, it's possible only with the pro version, by using the djconsole mapper sdk.
About sending both images to another software, we don't want to do such a thing right now.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 5:44 am
Sorry to be off topic for a second here but DEV TEAM, are you planning on making the internal video decoder compatible with AC3 audio anytime soon? The internal video decoder is much better than WMPlayer but it doesn't play everything.
Thanks.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 9:15 am
@Meierhans

Your first request seems to have been heard... ;) nice video plugins... thanx man

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 11:56 am
Thx for the new rank ;)

Thx for the FFwrapper!

Lets see what chrismas brings, perhabs I can take a look at the DJconsole Wrapper.
Does it allow to send midi out from VirtualDJ, so it can be used to control other programs?
There is a big interest in VJ corner to include audio, some people use hardware DJ mixers with midi out, some even did glue a second fader under the crossfader to have a midi out. I guess in future there will be more and more people running audio and video at the same time in clubs.

Here the place I regulary visit:
http://www.vjforums.com/showthread.php?s=fbeaeba1b357cf2e5f42f85661d8ccf6&threadid=14032

I will write a review in VJcentral if I find some time for it.

"About sending both images to another software, we don't want to do such a thing right now."

I forgot to mention Patchbox, a little tool that comes together with two freeframe plugins. It allows to send the video via LAN to another PC where a VJ software can be used for further processing.
Right now its still beta, but in future it may be together with gigabit a great solution for these tasks.
This way gives alot more freedom since you can chromakey video, map on 3D Objects and in general add custom (audioreactive) effects.

Another way may be a little plugin that diplays both videos always side by side.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 3:39 pm
@Dev Team

Love you guys (a guess you can include the other VDJ Teams too ;)…you are very receptive to suggestions and you continue to do the impossible—improving the “Best Software on the Planet.”

Thanks!!!

OO

Posted Fri 02 Dec 05 @ 7:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)