Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ripping DVD's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've just noticed in the install folder for Virtual Dj there's an exe called "ripdvd.exe" but when I try to run it, it just crashes.

Should I be using this to rip my DVD's ? What software does everyone else use to rip DVD's?
I've been using "#1 DVD Ripper SE" to make 3ivx files which I have been playing back happily with winamp, but I just can't get them to play with Virtual Dj.

I can rip VOB's but with "Smart Ripper" but they take up alot of hard drive space and Virtual Dj won't play the one's I have on the hard drive at the minute.

Any suggestions?
Cheers.

Posted Tue 29 Nov 05 @ 11:26 pm
Smartripper works fine for me. The RipDVD worked ok the first time I used it, but crashes now. What DVD's are you trying to rip? There are some DVD's that have different codecs, that VDJ does not support at the moment. Promoonly and TM Century work fine in VDJ. I rip to VOB because hard drives are not the expensive now. There is a price for convenience, and it's not that much.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 05 @ 12:27 am
So does "ripdvd.exe" Just make .VOB files?

Most of the VOB files I have tried to play with Virtual Dj Don't seem to work.

I have in my collection Promo Only, Rock America, VideoPool.com and Mixmash DVD's I'd like to have on the computer.

I already take one extra external 250Gig USB2 hard drive out with me, don't fancy taking more so a smaller file format would be better. Like I say the 3ivx avi files I have made with #1 DVD Ripper are fine, nice and small, and the quality isn't bad either and with them beeing played on a big screen projector you can't tell the difference.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 05 @ 1:09 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Gazuk,

Make sure you have the .vob extension associated with 'video decoder' in VDJ. The last 2 versions of VDJ have the codec built-in and so you should have no problems playing .vob's. For your 3ivx files, if WMP can play them, then assoctiate their extension with Windows video decoder and you should be able to play them also.

To answer your original question though, I can't get ripDVD.exe to work either, so I use Smartripper to rip my DVD's.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 05 @ 3:36 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Gazuk,

VirtualDJ works fine with VOB files with LPCM audio. If you use VOB files with AC3, you may need to install AC3 Filter and use Windows Media Player as your video decoder.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter

VOB files are MPEG-2 coded files in 720x480 resolution and with 48KHz sample rate in AC3 or LPCM audio formats.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 05 @ 7:11 pm
VOB files take up alot of hard drive space. I have been using a program called #1 DVD ripper and the 3ivX codec to make .AVI video files. These seem to work OK.

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 3:07 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

If the hard space is an issue, you could use DivX6 and get a full 3 min video (640x480) in only 30MB. 3ivX and older DivX codecs will put this 30MB file into a 60MB avi file.

You have to buy DivX and the MPEG-2 converter ($29.95) to get all the power of this codec.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 3:00 am
The Vob's now seem to work OK with Virtual Dj 3.3
Hard drive space isn't a problem. However I don't like the thought of using VOB files. It would be like DJing with WAV files when you could use MP3s and get 10 times as many on the hard drive.

Having problems converting VOB's though. Just tried "ImTOO 3GP Video Converter" and set the output to Xvid .avi, but all the singers lips are out of sync.

Also having problems converting to 3ivX with #1DVD Ripper because I never know what setting to have the volume on. The default is 3. But for some DVD's this doesn't seem very loud, and for other's it's too loud and is distorted. Is their any other software that will rip to 3ivX and automatically select the volume level?

Posted Tue 21 Feb 06 @ 4:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)