Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Party Games...:o)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ok DJ's...looking for some help.

Not that I'm trying to steal anybody's thunder, I'm just looking for ideas.

I am exclusively a function DJ. I don't do clubs although on occasion I do pubs. However, my main line is functions. All sorts of functions.

I have a selection of party games that I do which work ok for me, but I was wondering if any of you other function dj's have any other games that you find work particularly well and with what type of crowds???

I'm looking to try some new stuff, and, like I say, I'm not wanting to steal anyone's thunder...just looking for some ideas.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 2:00 pm
Here's one I do and seem to work ALL the time!!!

The name of the game is survivor (much like the TV show)

you should do this after a slow song so that all the couples are on the dance floor. Just tell them not to move cause you have a little game for them and the prize is a dinner for 2.

now for this game you will need the following...

1 or 2 complete newspapers
1 box of kraft Dinner (dinner for 2) LOL

very simple game and lots of fun.

you give only 1 sheet of the newspaper to each couple (when opened up it should give a big enough square to fit the couple on without any problems.

now once all the couples have their papers, tell them to place them anywhere on the dance floor.

Next step will be to find volunteers to judge the game.

Now here are the rules...

1- The paper is your island! You must allways stay on your island
2- If so much as your little toe touches the water you are eliminated.
3- The judges will be the ones walking around to eliminate the couples.

seems pretty simple so far right?

ok now play a song, I normally play "The Twist"

after about 30 secs cut the music off and anounce on the mic that the tide went up a bit.

Now all the couples must fold their newspaper in half and get back on their island. Once everyone does this start the music again and make sure the couples are still moving (kind of boring if the couples aren't dancing at all)
keep going with the steps of stopping the music every 30-45 secs making everyone fold their papers until only 1 couple remains.

Now you can always say that since the tide is so high and they have such small land, one of the partners can climb on top of the other's back as long as they keep dancing.

Once you have your winners ask them to come to the DJ booth to receive their prize compliments of Kraft.

Everyone laughs when you hold up the box of mac and cheeze.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 4:33 pm
That has to be the funniest game I have ever heard adults play LOL

Posted Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 9:25 pm
I always seem to run into functions with those darn games. If I run into a DJ that wants to do some games again, I am going to want to fight them.

Just kidding,.. but I hate those game.,.. but I gotta admit the twister on newspaper sounds pretty damn fun. Heck, enough drinks and anything is fun I suppose.

Posted Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 10:28 pm
I'm not much of a games DJ but when doing weddings and 25th aniversaries they are great things to do to break the ice. Last weekend I had a 25th to do and no one would dance so I pulled a few games and kept the dance floor alive this way.

I would much rather spend more time behind the decks spinning music although at times you gotta pull out some extras to keep the crowd motivated.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 05 @ 2:50 am
Love the newspaper game.

I did a 70th birthday party sat. on the way I stopped at Wal-Mart and bought 12 $1 dvds. Stuff like I Love Lucy and Bonanza.

First I played Billy Jean and said "Best Moonwalk wins a DVD." Whoever won got to pick from the window sill I had them spread out on.

Then I said to the hostess I needed two volunteers who are fearless and competitive. She picked two women. I had them sit at a table where I had ducktaped a box of kleenex in front of each. They had to put their hands behind their backs and whoever emptied their box first with their mouth won. This is hysterical. Use UNscented tissue w NO moisterizer. I let both pick a dvd on this one since they get so thirsty you sort of feel bad for them.

Then I did a trivia contest for a dvd. "Who was Loretta Lynn's famous singing sister?" Answer at the bottom of this message.

Best Twist dancing wins an awful Walmart DVD!! Play Chubby Checker.

My favorite. I ask for two teams of three people. I ask for volunteers. Easiest way to get them is look for an outgoing, slightly drunk popular guy (best man, etc) and have him come up wth teams.
I promise repeatedly that there is NO KLEENEX in this game. When the teams divide I ask eack team to pick the smallest person and give the other team members a roll of Scott toilet paper. (Pretty strong stuff. If you go cheap here and it breaks it messes up the game.) The teams wrap up the small members into mummies while you play walk like an egyptian. As a joke I usually say, "Oh I forgot to ask if the mummys had to pee first!!" Suggest that one person start at the top and one at the bottom. The women almost always win this since they are neater. Let them go until they are done. Usually takes one or two songs. Everyone will be snapping pictures and laughing.

Winning team gets to pick out dvds.

For the Kleenex game and the mummy game MAKE SURE YOU GET THE PAPER UP RIGHT AWAY. Don't play a super dance song right after so you have time to get it up. Once they dance on it they get it everywhere and it makes a mess and is a safety hazard since they are drunk and wearing dress shoes.

This party was a pretty small crowd but they had fun. I got another prospect from it and an hour overtime.

Answer to the trivia question: Crystal Gayle. If you guessed right congratulations! You just won a couple of Red Skelton episodes. Enjoy!

Posted Tue 25 Oct 05 @ 10:33 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This sounds great guys. Like I say, I'm just looking for ideas right now.

One that I do that works great at 40th birthday parties is:

Take the guy/girl who's celebrating their birthday and have them bring up their partner/husband/wife or whatever. Now, while they're on their way up, have them select "2 of their most daring friends" from the audience. When they come up, you should have one set of 3 guys and one set of 3 girls. Randomly pair them off so you have 3 sets of 2 people and tell the audience you want to go back in time a bit to the eighties, when the band Culture Club were really in fashion...and tell the audience that of course Culture Club was headed by a guy called Boy George, a very 'extravagant' man who wore make up and all that sort of stuff.

The challenge is to have the ladies dress their respective partners up as Boy George (while you play the classic "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club) using all the femenine gear they can acquire from the audience. ANYTHING GOES. Make up, underwear, skirts, jackets, trousers, shoes, handbags, wigs - anything goes. So, they have about 4 minutes or so to dress the guys up as this character.

When the song's done, you should have 3 ladies and 3 Boy Georges all ready for action. The audience is (usually) going wild by this point with cameras going mental - quite the laugh.

Now, tell the audience that to really be Boy George, they have to show that they can dance like him. Really camp it up for the audience and tell them that with a little bit of audience participation, you would like a strut along the dance floor with each of the couples. Play the first 30 seconds of Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" and get each couple strutting along the dance floor.

When each couple is done, they'll get a clap and then when they've all finished, you have the audience vote for the best. "If you think Linda and Boy George were the best, go wild now!!!" usually works for me for each of the couples. The loudest applause wins a drink at the bar...or a meal for two...;o) (Kraft mac and cheese!!!)

I also do a singing competition where i split the crowd into two teams and stick on something like Smokie's "Living Next Door To Alice" you know - Alice, who the f*ck is Alice??? - and have Team A sing the first chorus, Team B singing the second chorus and then both singing the last chorus. You have the bar staff or your 'assistant' judge what team are the best. You then camp it up and really give the winning team the banter. You can use the whole Team A/Team B thing all night for various different things.

Another one I do is a simple mix...

Amarillo (Club Mix)
Time Warp
YMCA
Hey Baby
Cha Cha Slide

And i go out with the mic and do the dances in front of the crowd so they can follow me. I've been using this one for two years solid and it works every time...the crowd love it. Just give them all the chat and they really enjoy it...even the older ones. I've used this at kids parties and even 60th's and it always seems to go down well.

Keep the ideas coming!!!

Cheers...and keep spinnin'

P

Posted Wed 26 Oct 05 @ 1:44 am
Cinderella Dance: All the ladies take off their left shoe and put it in a pile in the middle of the floor. All the guys pick a shoe, try to find who it belongs to, and then dances with her. (You can be creative as to what will be done with the extra shoes or guys when it's not even....)

Freeze Dance: Play a fast song, and stop it once in a while. Everyone who doesn't stop dancing when the music stops is out. I like to use the "break" effect and start out easy (1 sec) and then work my way to instant stop.

Snowball Dance: Start with one couple in the middle. When you say "Snowball" each person on the dance floor breaks from their partner and gets a new one. (So every time you say "snowball" the dance floor population doubles.) This can be a good way to repopulate the floor (heck, most of these games are...)

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 8:03 pm
Ive noticed that all games go over better with alchohol present lol

Noah S

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 5:29 am
There are many DJ magazines and chat rooms that are designed for games. I few things I have learned over the years is to read the crowd. Know when to do games and know when not to do games. I have had parties that every 15 minutes your doing a game and some where I have done none at all. Remember sometimes people just want to dance. Also, the game that worked last weeked might not work this weeked.

The following game is great but has to be for the right crowd: Cuccumber Relay.

Just play a slow song, at the end have all the couples stop and break them into two teams. It is best to line them in a line male-female-male-female ect... Once in a line tell them this is a simple relay where you will pass an item from one person to the next until you reach the end. If you drop the item you must start over. (At this point they all think it is going to be an apple or orange). Then tell them you can not use your hands. At this point bring out the two cuccumbers. They must pass it from person to person and it must remain above the knees at all time. You might want to add you can't use your mouth. Laugh hear....Trust me I have seen it done and it usually is the guys that come up with the idea. The first team that makes it to the end is the winning team.

Again just make sure you have the right crowd so you don't offended anyone.

A great song is Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On" (Remix)

Have Fun.

Mike

Posted Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 5:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)