Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Happy birthday Mp3...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Mp3 format is 10 years old.
Here is the story
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=857
My comments:
With the speed everything is changing in computer world it's a success to have a standard like this. And it is a standard because there is no need to download and install "updated" codecs every month in order to play them, and because its the result of research, and not made for $$$.
Avoid formats formats that changing...made for $$$ (call me wma and every everything from Micro$$$oft)

Standard formats:
Audio: wav, aif, mp3, mp2, ogg.
Video: Mpeg1, Mpeg2, avi (uncompressed)

"NON Standard" or made for $$$... formats:
Audio: wma, AAC, real audio...
Video: wmv, divX, Xvid (not sure about this)

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 2:50 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Well, I don't feel DivX to be an excesive money for what it does. I got mpeg-2 DVD quality videos (257MB) and convert them to DivX 6 to a divx file (38MB). The convertion it's amazing. I pay this product because of this. $30 isn't that much... and now it's free to download the DivX Create bundle, with a valid serial number. You cold get your copy now: www.divx.com

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 3:36 am
I like DivX too, but the codec is changing/updated, so i put it in the "NON standard" category.
Can you play videos created with DivX6 in a pc with DivX 1/2/3/4... ? I don't think so, but maybe i'm wrong. On the other hand Mpeg1 (videocd...), mpeg2(Dvd) are "standard" no changing formats. Thats what i meant...

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 3:52 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I have play my divX files in a DVD player that have divX support. Play also in a DivX5... but I don't probe it in other versions. But I understand what you ment.

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 4:10 am
Maybe latest versions are compatible, but i remember the first (until v4 i think) was not, that's why i switched to mpeg for all my video encodings. It make sense to "standarize" because now Divx targeted to standalone Dvd players too.

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 4:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)