Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PHOTO CONTEST - See your face in every software store in the world - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi everybody,

We are actually working on the new packaging of the 2006 version of both eJay DJMixStation and VirtualDJ.
As usual we were about to ask a professional design agency to work on the artwork, until someone came up with a good suggestion:
Why not use a user-made picture?
Since the box will hit the shelves of most supermarkets (Walmart, Guitar Center, Circuit City, Mediamarkt, Virgin, Carrefour, Fnac, etc...), why should we promote an unknown DJ when we could instead show your face in all those places?

So if any of you has a good shot made at a party (preferably using VDJ ;), on which one can see both the DJ, its gears, and the crowd, and if you'd like to share it, you can send it to picturecontest@virtualdj.com. Even if the picture is not perfect don't worry our graphists can still use their magic to fix it ;)

Even if it's not used for the packaging, if we receive enough good pictures we might open a gallery on the website to show everyone's contribution, so don't hesitate to send yours.

Oh and one last thing: the box will be released in Europe very soon, so we'll only be able to use the pictures sent during the next week.

And just to give you an idea, here is the picture we used on last year's box:

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 10:54 am
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
We are still waiting for your picts ;)

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 10:37 am
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Dams on october i will play in Pacha Huelva (Pacha oficial group) is a excelent place for do the pict... please can you wait??

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 1:57 pm
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Not sure ;)

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 2:19 pm
@ Mr. Sclavel:

If you want to preserve your professional image, I highly recommend that you reconsider placing VDJ into Walmarts, Circuit City, etc. These stores are perfect for your products that are intended for "home use only." However, you will not find Traktor, PCDJ, and other “professional” DJ products in stores like Walmart and Circuit City in the USA. These stores might be acceptable for other parts of the world, but not in America where image is very important. The Guitar Center is a store that you listed that carries professional DJ equipment.

Consequently, may I suggest that you look for VDJ users located in different parts of the world to help you market your product. There are many local DJ stores where I live that would probably carry your product if someone introduced it to them. By using your own users to help market your product, you could reach markets that you may otherwise overlook. Furthermore, you could use these same VDJ users (sales associates) to assist with manufacturing and distributing your software. You could save huge amounts of money in overhead cost and simplify the mass marketing of your product.

Regarding the picture for the box, I think you are limiting yourself by asking for only pictures of VDJ users in action. Why not have a contest that allows VDJ users to express their creativity to illustrate VDJ—like the wallpaper designs (I like DJ Homeboy’s VDJ Vinyls).

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/view.html?type=wallpaper

The winner could receive XP10s or something.

OO

btw This thread should be a sticky.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 5:38 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i agree on the idea making it a contest(hint xp10's) and also widening the concept. I think what he meant by Walmart and such type stores is only for the mixstation(home) version, as like every Ejay product you can find it most places that you can find any software sold. As long as the pro version was sold in pro shops i think it would be ok.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 6:25 pm
That is exactly what I meant listen2. Since VDJ is a professional DJ product, it should only be sold in stores that carry other professional DJ products. The only exception to this rule is Radio Shack, which carries various DJ accessories. You can read my comments about Radio Shack in this thread (4th post):

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/7013/General_Discussion/Final_Scratch.html?highlight=radio%20shack

Here’s another thread that I commented in about the Guitar Center (next to last post):

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/10182/General_Discussion/US_Distribution.html?page=1

However, I still think using VDJ users to help market VDJ is a very good option to consider.

OO

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 7:10 pm
To answer the remark about walmart, the same image is used for the packages of both DJMixStation and VirtualDJ Pro.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 8:37 pm
You should seriously consider distinguishing the two products in the USA market. Pro DJs are not going to pay $$$ at Walmart for VDJ. They may also confuse the DJMixStation sold in the same package at Walmart with VDJ sold at a store that carries "PRO" DJ equipment. Consequently, VDJ—the professional version—would loose its professional image in the USA market.

Furthermore, professional DJs here wouldn’t buy VDJ from Walmart even if you sold it for $$. Walmart and similar stores do not and would not attract the type DJs that would buy VDJ—Radio Shack would be a better choice. There are at least 5 Radio Shacks within ten minutes of my house; they are all over the place in the USA. However, the bedroom DJ might buy DJMixStation from Walmart.

OO

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 8:52 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I happen to agree Double 0, I want VDJ in the proffesional market exclusively, I'm fine with the Ejay mixstation version being everywhere, but VDJ needs to maintain some class and exclusivity.

On the other hand, peoples pride is a bull shit thing, why can't Wallmart, Tescos etc sell everything?, If they can do this then good for them, and pro DJ's do go shopping too.., verily in an ideal world things would be different.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 8:58 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
You and I both know the capabilities of VDJ, do we need the store that sells it to help us understand its abilities? I do not think that VDJ is selling itself short for one second by allowing places like Wal-Mart to sell the software. Wal-Mart is one of the largest corporations in the world. They carry Pioneer, Sony and many other professional quality products. The price is what allows us to put it on the shelves merely anywhere.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 9:08 pm
DJ Homeboy,

If you live in the USA, you would know that image means a lot here. In fact, image is the major reason people buy the things they really don't need. Even though many pro DJs probably visit Walmart, I guarantee you they don't go there to look at DJ software or equipment. The stero equipment that you mentioned is for "home entertainment.” Do you see Pioneer selling its DJ equipment at Walmart. No. Why? because Pioneer knows that pro DJs are not going pay $$$ at Walmart for it. Plus, it would affect its image. However, a few pro DJs might buy VDJ from Walmart if they ACCIDENTLY stumble across while looking for some underwear. Consequently, it isn’t worth VDJ loosing its professional image to make a few $$$ in my opinion. Why do you think PCDJ doesn’t sell it product in Walmart, and it is based here in Florida.

OO

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 9:09 pm
You have to remember what we are trying to do here. Does your customer who listens to you mix question your equipment if it works well? No. Sadly I do not think that the image will be tarnished by what shelf VDJ is placed on. It will not affect your ability to use it or discredit it. I can not even verify that it will be sold pro on the shelf. I am just expressing my opinion. Please remember here at VDJ we do not follow the trends we set them. And if allowing more people to enjoy our software is a possibility then I say go for it. Oh and I do not mean that as far as $$$ goes. I mean just the simple joy an individual gets when he/she play with vdj.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 9:17 pm
Before this thread goes off topic, who said walmart is going to sell vdj?
Of course it isn't. Walmart and circuit city (and the alike in europe like mediamarkt, carrefour, etc) sell the home edition version (called djmixstation), whereas guitar center might sell the pro version.
I don't think that the fact that the background of both boxes are alike can be a problem. DJs keep seeing pioneer's consumer product at walmart, that doesn't prevent them from buying pioneer pro dj equipment at guitar center. And the pioneer logo on both products is the same.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 9:25 pm
I agree with you on all those points. My point was that the store would not take from the image. Anyways as posted by Sclavel we are off topic and you have no worries about the pro version being in the stores anyways. I was just expressing my opinion as far as the image was concerned. Now back to what this post was started for ;)

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 9:33 pm
@ Mr. Sclavel

You said VDJ would be sold at Walmart; read your first post. You also have to acknowledge that Pioneer built its reputation in both the pro and home markets by offering different products in each market. That’s why you will never see it selling any pro DJ equipment at Walmart. The key word here is "pro," which does not correlate with Walmart.

OO

btw What's up with the photo contest? Are you going to throw in some XP10s??

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 9:42 pm
To maintain the coherence of this thread, DJ Homeboy responded to the following post that I inadvertently deleted. His response is the last post on page 1:

@ DJ Homeboy,

Let’s be real about this, would you try to sell snow shovels in Los Angeles. No. You market it where the customers that need it are. In the USA, pro DJs go to pro DJ stores and spend a lot of money on meeting their needs. Now if you put a less expensive product like VDJ in the same store with Final Scratch, many pro DJs might try it because of the price. If you put the same product in Walmart, the price becomes too expensive for the bedroom DJ that might buy it. A much better choice is Radio Shack where bedroom and pro DJs go to buy DJ accessories. In fact, Radio Shack doesn’t sell any DJ software.

OO

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 10:05 pm
Double O: I suggest you read again before pretending I said things I didn't.

Just to save you the click of the prev page button, I said: "We are working on the new packaging of both eJay DJMixStation and VirtualDJ. (...) The box will hit the shelves of most supermarkets (Walmart, ...)"

I think this was pretty clear, I apologize if it was not, but at least I hope it is now.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 11:25 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
;) Swiftly moving on.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 11:51 pm
@ Mr. Sclavel

I interpreted your post as meaning both products would be sold at Walmart. However, you’ve clarified this misunderstanding. Thank you.

Regarding the topic of the photo contest, I think DJ Homeboy’s VDJ Vinyls would make a good cover for the DJMixStation package. It depicts him using VDJ at home, which would make a good cover for a product marketed to the bedroom DJ. A monitor displaying VDJ could easily be added to his picture.

OO

Posted Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 4:06 am
49%