Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Well it finally happenned...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
VDJ Crashed on me live, and 'recover' did absolutely nothing.
I had silence for about 15 seconds, and thats a position I never want to be in again.

The bug is detailed here: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/41230/Bugs_report/Fatal_Crash_-_Show_All_(version_3_01).html

I'm going to sound like the bad guy again, but please, PLEASE, if you're going to stick with video, assign a seperate team to it and make it as an external plugin.
VDJ is not yet a 100% pro product and still needs testing, bug and stability fixing (not to mention better sounding timestretch and scratching algorithms)

MP3 software like VDJ are starting to pop up all over the place.
Within a couple of years, the big companys will jump on the bandwagon: Sony, Technincs, etc...

How can VDJ compete with them if they have a software that does Music at 80%, Video at 80% and stability at 95%?

Please reconsider your position on video, and assign a seperate team to it.

At every gig I play I have at least 5 people asking me about the software.
And the one question they ALL ask me is: How stable is it, and did it ever crash on you?

Until now, I always said: I have complete faith it in; it has never crashed on me.
I sadly can't say that anymore.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 8:55 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I guess what everyone...OK ME, wants to know is how'd you handle the situation?? Did you keep your composure and say something on the mic like: " OK, that's the last time I'm letting the bouncer mix...he just crashed my system!"

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 11:41 pm
I've had VDJ crash like this live in front of a crowd before too. Luckily, it hasn't crashed since they fixed the scratch bug that caused the scratch. I know how if feels though man, trust me.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 12:34 am
Thanks for the compassion :)

What I did was wait till the chorus to press 'recover' (cuz I had a feeling it wouldnt work...)

So when it went down, crowd started chanting the chorus, they thought I had muted the sound at first.

But after a few seconds, they caught on (and I started getting a couple boos....) So I just motioned with my hands for them to keep singing the chorus while I was reloading VDJ and then I restarted the song at the chorus.

So while I managed to get through it well enough, the feeling really sucked...

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 12:42 am
I had a similar crash on saturday while on the radio although the song just stopped playing completely and didn't recover at all until 20 secs later.

I do get the recover message everyonce in a while although this saturday I had no recover message and VDJ didn't crash to the desktop, it just seemed like it stopped responding all of a sudden.

I'm going to re-install 3.01 since I didn't have any issues with that version.

DJ White Devil

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 12:49 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Personally I'm finding now that 3.1 is more stable than ever, This version hasn't yet crashed once for me, but most software will crash if you ask it to!, I mean if you get abusive it's not unlikely something will go wrong.., not saying you were being abusive with the software (but personally I don't use recurse because of the load time, and have a max of 200 files in one folder, which is not intentional.

When VDJ crashed for me in previous versions, I wouldn't click recover at all, infact I'd just minimize the programe and let the song continue playing, I would open winamp and load an appropiate song, wait till the song in VDJ fades out or finishes and then I'd start the song in winamp.., thenI'd close VDJ, and restart in the mean time, ready for my next transition from winamp back to VDJ, you can do this very easily and the transitions can work fine too, certainly nothing someone would boo at, it might be different if you were really doing a "mixset" of house or something, in which case you could try and make it sound like a break, or even play a long chilled out tune or accapela of a popular song.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 1:17 am
Yeah I tried minimizing, but it wouldnt let me. :(

The thing about 'recursive' is that it shouldnt take this long.

Once the index is built the first time, it shouldnt have to rebuild itself each time.
I guess VDJ does so in case you added new files...

Maybe they can add an option to only scan recursive at startup?

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 2:42 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Just out of interest, did you try: ALT-TABBING..out of the program?, I think the minimize button doesn't work, but I'm sure ALT TAB does :).

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 2:48 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Or ALT-ESC change to next program too, force the change.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 6:02 am
same here last week just stop when i try to mix to the next song,there was a orther dj so i just let him play his cd player untill i were able to restart my pc.the bugs are coming VDJ help us here!

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 6:58 am
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
well you can open winamp a virtualdj and if virutaldj crash you could use ctrl + tab for change the program... Thank you.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 10:53 am
Heh, i run with an external mixer, and my ipod plugged into a third channel. What I've done when that (well, not exactly that) happened was just make sure there was a playlist of guaranteed crowd pleasers cued up, and let the ipod take over. Ive successfully done it so that nobody even knew in the past.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 3:07 pm
santdPRO InfinityMember since 2004
go out and buy c-loops.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 7:04 pm
Blackgold9, I like your approach of being prepared. I too use an external mixer, and have PCDJ FX, VDJ, & WMP open at the same time. I also have a Denon 2600 in the rack, and a backup tower in the van. I bought VDJ for it's video mixing, and have only used it once, at a mobile affair, as an mp3 player. In the club, i'm using it for video only, at the time. It is performing great, in that aspect. I am trying to decide on a new controller, since I am still using two DMC 1s. I feel I am not getting the full potential, with these controllers. I have not had any of these problems yet, but will be ready if & when it happens.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 7:35 pm
@A Man and His Music

Ok... so for whatever reason (maybe I aggravated you in a former life), you're insisting on making me look bad over VDJ crashing on me. (here and in the bug forum: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/41230/Bugs_report/Fatal_Crash_-_Show_All_(version_3_01).html )

If that's what pleases you, then fine go with it.
Here I'll help you out: DJ RAZ SUCKS, LETS KILL HIM

If that's not enough, feel free to add insults.
If you want, I'll start the "Click here if you hate DJ Raz" thread.

Anyways, I'm done...
Feel free to keep ranting if that's how you get your kicks.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 9:52 pm
Currently, my backup is a set of Y-adapters on my DZ1200 outputs into line 3&4. On VDJ crash (if it ever happens), I do the following:

1.) Eject TCCD
2.) Insert special emergency mp3 CD into Technics DZ1200
3.) Flip both line input selectors to line 3 & 4
4.) Cue up track and push play

Probably a good 15 seconds worth of work, about the same time it would take to restart VDJ. But if the problem still persisted and the whole laptop needed to rebooted, I can continue on the mp3 CDs. Also, if I just restart VDJ and start playing again, I never get a real chance to verify that the problem is gone, since I would immediately start playing for the crowd again. I also carry two of just about everything to gigs. I have backup: laptop, 250GB hard drive, USB hub, DNZ-100 mixer & mixer power supply. I don't have any backup xp10s, DZ1200s or JBL speakers. I can get through a gig just fine if any of these fail.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 9:56 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
lol DJ Raz dont get flustered, you dont have to take anything personaly unless you chose to. any software that can be made to crash is under tested software. Cars are not designed to be foolproof but most software is. being prepared is something you should not oversigt, i have an ipod mini on a y merger into my 3rd ch on my mixer and it has saved my life when a vinyl snaps in half (you heard!) under my hand lol but thats no excuse for a bug in software, a bug that rightley deserves pointing out in the desegnated bug pointing out section and anyone thats a bit confused about a bug being mentioned there is a bit of a muppet.

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 2:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)