Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: @ Chabonk

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Chabonk,

I was just looking to see how you made out on your XP-10 Yahoo auction that you mentioned in a post recently:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/show/qanda?aID=92427407&aucview=

I see the 'solarmeggaz' post and have to warn you that it smells like a scam to me. If he is buying the XP10's, make sure you use PayPal or BidPay, rather than direct Western Union fund transfer. There should be no reason he can't use BidPay because that is actually run by Western Union, but meant specifically for auction payments. You can see more about such scams here:

http://www.auctionguild.com/generic65.html
http://scams.flipshark.com/westernunion.html

Also, he doesn't mention where he is from, but I am willing to bet that it is Africa, China or Italy. I don't mean any offense to anyone from these regions, but for some reason a large number of these scams seem to at least go through these areas... maybe due to local laws that are particularly favorable to buyers (or sellers, depending on the nature of the scam.)

Anyway,
Good Luck, be careful, and let me know if you put these back up for auction, maybe at a lower price ;)

-Frd

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 7:26 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I believe Russia was big on scams too. i would never use western union, i used it once and i was not ripped off, but a high risk yes.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 8:05 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks for that, I also started to get a bit suspicious. He was pretty adamant about using Western Union, even after I offered bidpay as an alternative. Anyhow, I still have the xp10's and will probably post them on ebay within the next few weeks (I'm not in a hurry to sell). If you're interested let me know.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 10:08 pm
I agree that using a payment service that is specifically in place for auction purchases is a good idea most of the time. What I don't understand is how Chabonk could get scammed if the buyer sends him the money via western union and then Chabonk send the guy his xp10s.

Both of the links above refer to the BUYER getting scammed by these western union scammers, which I agree is a rampant problem. Can someone explain to me how a SELLER is going to be scammed by a buyer who send him money via western union?

Chabonk, I'm in Orange County - right down the street from you. My interest in these xp10s just perked up since I'm so close to you. I could probably use at least 1 backup,.. why not 2! Btw,.. face to face transactions are the safest :-)

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 11:43 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
@ Chabonk: Looks like you have a buyer :)
@ Anewsome: I have read that the scam has to do with the buyer sending you the wrong amount (too much money) and requesting a refund which locks the money in the account. You are then pressured to send the merchandise anyway because of some time deadline and then the 'locked' funds disappear. I would hope nobody would be silly enough to send the merchandise before actually receiving actual payment, but some might be too trusting (of which I am often guilty) or maybe they believe the 'locked' funds are actually theirs. Sometimes I am tempted to go along with one of these scams to a certain point just to find out where it turns sour and then document the details online somewhere to try and save someone else from teh same scam. When I do see something that looks like a scam, I often google some of the phrases used and find details of someone else warning others, and I would like to help keep others safe from these scams as well if I can.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 6:09 am
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Anewsome, these controllers have your name all over them. If you're still interested drop me an email. chabonk@yahoo.com

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 11:36 pm
"face to face transactions are the safest"

As long as I have My Nine, cause he might have his.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 12:40 am
That's pretty funny music man, but I have no Nine. My only weapons are my lighting fast crossfader hand :-)

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 1:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)