Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ripping videos

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dave-gPRO InfinityMember since 2005

great website guys, now for my one of few questiuons what and how software do you guys use to ripp your dvd's to your hard drives, do you have to shrink the files to mpje2 or something like that are they going to look good once you shrink them ? currently the only program i have is nero 6.0 but do i need do something to shink the files ???? thank you

Posted Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 9:41 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I suggest using SmartRipper to split the DVD's vob files into chapter specific vob files and write them to your disk. This will not shrink or compress them and they will remain in native DVD format (mpeg2) which can be used by VDJ.

Posted Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 10:37 pm
would'nt be better to compress to save some hard drive space since dvd's take so much room, also what are vob files and chapter specific files? is this fairly easy because i'm not too pc friendly is hard enough to make the move from vinyl to mp3's but since i did I love iT THERE'S NO TURNING BACK THANX FRD1963................

Posted Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 11:05 pm
get smart ripper and rip one of your dvds into chapters. then get another ripper and rip into mpeg I or mpeg 4 and compare the difference in speed of ripping and quality of audio and video. smart ripper is free gives you a faster rip (15-20 minutes versus up to 8 or more HOURS) and dvd quality. The other rippers give you a smaller file with the accompanying lower quality. You have to decide what is best for your setup and budget. I am currently much happier with the quality of the video and audio with vob files, although I am currently trying to work out a problem where the video is slower than the audio on my mpeg 2 or vob files.
Just give both approaches a really good evaluation before you take the time to rip your whole collection.
Also, I would recommend you use 192 bit compression when creating mp3 or wma files for your cds and get audiograbber for this. also free and good.
This takes some experimentation and tweaking to perfect, but it is worth it. And we'll be glad to help you along the way.....

Posted Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 11:26 pm
I really would not recommend compressing the video further than the MPEG2 vob files. Just rip the videos chapters to seperate files and you should be ok. I think the videos would weigh in at about 300MB each on average.

mcdermott if your video and audio are not in sync, then your ripper is probably autodetecting the frame rate of your DVD incorrectly. Most rippers will default to think it's ripping a DVD created by a film transfer, which most DVDs are - film transfers, that is movies transfered from film to DVD. The fps (frames per second) of film is 23.976. Most DVDs created from TV shows and music videos will have a frame rate of 29.97. If your ripper autodetects the wrong frame rate or if you set it wrong, your ripped video will audio and video that is out of sync.

This is another reason why you should never demux or recompress a DVD music video. It might be OK if you get it absolutely right but there are a lot more ways to do it wrong than to do it right. The mere fact that you are re-compressing an already compressed source puts you at a serious disadvantage and the chance for artifacts of all kinds cropping up are pretty great.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 12:37 am
I'm using smart ripper and i don't think it even has settings for that but i'll check to make sure. the videos in question do not have a problem in win media player, quicktime, or powerdvd--only in vdj. that's why i don't think it is the ripper. but again, i'll check those settings.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 12:35 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I am re ripping 5k dvd tracks now and the difference is incredible.
Noticed a HUGE difference in sound using power dvd, haven't played them in VDJ yet, what a process.
Rip, tag, dump the extra files we don't use, scan, analyze, bpm and cue 'em up.
Sheeeit what a job.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 1:54 pm
mp3jrick how is that program power dvd, is it better than smartripper ? is it freeware ? also what were your settings in re ripping the dvd's.........

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 4:15 pm
Power dvd is only used for playback/tagging purposes until VDJ sees and analyzes the tracks.
As for settings, not infront of it right now i'll get back to you tonight.

Noticable difference in sound quality playing the vob with PowerDVD.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 4:58 pm
I was under the impression that only MPEG-1's work properly with VDJ? Although this may have been fixed in a later version. If anyone is playing VOB files successfully with VDJ I would be interested. I'd imagine you need a powerful setup, at least a 64bit processor.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 5:24 pm
rick, did i read that right. you have 5,000 DVD tracks? Wow! I thought my measley 1,200 music videos was a huge collection!

just for the record i do all of my aquisition, editing, ripping and encoding of video 100% using linux, so my software process would be of zero use to most of you.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 5:34 pm
I have so many DVD tracks I can't watch them all, and in all genres.
Sometimes I blow myself away with what I have for coverage.
All but 3 HV/HVC discs, many from ETV, Screenplay, Rock America as well as a slew of store bought tracks not serviced by the Promo guys.

As I re rip, I am playing tracks I don't normally play or recognise and it just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling discovering what I have.

I have let my audio subscriptions run out as I have it covered with video whether or not I put it up on the screen.

And every month it grows by 150 tracks of so, that is my problem.
Not that it's a bad problem to have........lol :>

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 5:41 pm
any of you guys using your laptop to mix the videos? i have both pc and lpt but i would love to take the videos with me to my gig {lounge in nyc} as they have some nice lcd screens i have an ibm thinkpad t-42 with 60gb 7200 rpm drive [internal] 1.5 gig of ram as for my video card i'm not too shure but i think is ati radeon 7500 or something close to that with 64mb also could i put a video card in the pcmi slot on the side of the laptop what would be a good card if i could do this ???? i been thinking about building my own rackmount pc i'm very handy with the hands but computer wise i'm learning as i go along thank you guys for all the support even though i get lost with some of the computer slang sometimes.......

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 7:04 pm
I've been building my collection of 1,258 music videos for the past few years but I have yet to play a single music video at a live gig. I'm nearly done building my video mixing system (just got the video card a few days ago). So soon, I will be able to put VDJ through the paces. I want to make sure it's rock solid before I even offer the service to my clients.

Also Rick, each and every one of my videos is hand picked. Of the 1,258 I have, there are no throwaways or even videos that I don't know well. Similar to my mp3 collection, it's rare that something makes it into my collection that I don't personally enjoy. Seems like a crazy way to DJ (with stuff you like only),.. but I seem to do pretty well with it :-)

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 7:23 pm
I'd love to see a pci video card with the balls to do this, it would help alot of people here.

Anewsome,
I manage most of my music with playlists that I edit/add to nearly daily.

Of the 5k tracks, anything that isn't considered "a dance tune" sits idle.
So with Hot Video, I am getting top 40, dance, urban and modern rock.
Of the t40 tracks, only a few chart hard and become hits that never die.
Dance is more techno and the t40 remixes are pretty much all I use.
The urban has some real issues with age groups and content with the HH leaning towards repetition and the rab getting ugly and not happy.
The modernrock is touch and go, korn, nine inch nails, manson don't even get ripped.
I also subscribe to country video and that is another whole chapter all by itself.

So we are probably working the same tunes and it is my new chore to trim it down so I have drive space for the future, the chassis won't hold any more drives.
Love the Hot video Classic series which continues to grow from them.

This thing is this, I get some pretty odd requests from time to time, and there's nothing like saying "yes commin right up."
Got "Freebird" for instance?
And as I re rip I am exploring and still coming up with tracks that are lost and forgotten which really kicks when you load it at the right time and people scream with delight when they see it, some for the first time.

The other thing is that with video, they may know the original track to death.
But slap up the remix video at 130 and stand back and watch.

Those are the ones I have that I need to sift through, and it takes lots of time.
Tough to decide which ones to chuck as much work as it is to rip and tag it all.

You know what I mean?

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 7:52 pm
There are some videos I have that I play at my house parties (not using VDJ) that captivate people that have known these songs forever but have never seen the video. Either that or they were too young to remember the video:

Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Delight
Malcolm McLaren - Buffalo Gals
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
A-Ha - Take On Me (first rotoscoped video, all by hand)
A Tribe Called Quest - Hot Sex On A Platter
Bee Gee's - Stayin' Alive
Bel Bix DeVoe - Do Me
Biz Markie - Just A Friend
Devo - Whip It
D.N.A - Tom's Diner (Featuring Suzanne Vega)

... and that's just off the top of my head and from going through my list up to the B's. You can see why I can't wait to get my video system built!

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 11:56 pm
I love to mix the NTrance version of Stayin Alive with the BG's original, same thing with Dancin Queen, it bridges the generation gap for me.
Aerosmiths "Walk this way" with Run DMC is another that does that well.

Yer right though, it gives them a case of whip lash when you toss up a track they know by heart and have never seen the video.
And, particularly true with the older disco tracks, shitty as some of them are, it just captures them.

Posted Sat 17 Sep 05 @ 12:24 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
You make me remember anewsome.... How old I am... :-)

Great videos I like them too!

Rick, 5k or videoclips are many videos to choose from... Congrats...

And I notice the mpeg-2 vob difference quality in VDJ and other program; say powerdvd... I think is the 48KHz decode problem... Cyder give a solution for that (with the Decoder from N-Vidia) but it don't work for me.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 12:36 am
Somebody needs to look into that, we shouldn't be seeing any loss but its just the sound, the video is perfect and sycronized. Probably wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't played back in pdvd.

Still miles ahead of where I figured we be doing this.
There are no walls with video, the mixing impact is so endless with potential, it's almost scary.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 1:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)