Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Lost BPM'S Etc - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have gotten in the habit of backing up the XML database everytime I shut down my system. Did this yestarday; but today when I booted up all the comments, BPM's etc are gone. Not even the playlist have any of this info. I rescanned the database, no good. Then I copied my backup database XML doc and pasted it into the VDJ folder. Again nothing. Is all lost or is there a way of getting this info back/ I sure hope so.

Posted Mon 12 Sep 05 @ 8:17 pm
Sounds like the file size of your files has probably changed. Windows media player, iTunes, most media player programs are default to help you fix up your mp3 files by downloading "missing information", which means the program modifies your files for you to fix up your id3 tags. This of course is a really bad idea, since VDJ depends on the file size, names, etc being the same. If you change any of that, VDJ will lose the information.

Are you absolutely certain none of your songs have been modified in any way?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 12:15 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Do the tracks have yellow dots to the left of them?

Did you change the back up file name in any way?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 12:23 am
Have not used Media layer or I tunes. Did not change anything. Nothing modified.
Yes yellow dots are next to tracks. No I did not change the backup file name.
Only one file has most of the songs still analyzed.
After shutting down today, I booted up again. Still the same except now the internal database is not there. I tried to do a sys restore- did not work. I know I definetly did not change anythong, not even the settings. I hope there is some way to get this info back.
Any suggestions please?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 1:14 am
Do this first:
Open the virtual folder and delete the mp3 txt data base.
Then open the program and you should get prompted to rescan when you highlight the database in the browser.
See if things return to normal then.

If you saved your database, you should be able to reload the program and substitute the file to the new program file folder.
What is the size of the xml folder and how many tracks are you working with?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 1:25 am
Rick;
I am going to try that now. Can't even tell how many songs. Probably about 15,000 to 20,000
Be back in a moment

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 1:35 am
Nope; that did not work.
Any other suggestions??
I can give you a call if that is better. Just need nimber

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 1:39 am
Have you tryied to enable/disable the read/write ID tag on the configuration pannel of VDJ / general ?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 1:46 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
easyset thing to do is check the xml youir trying to load by opening it in notepad. find a song that you know well, and know is scaned for sure etc and check that the filename and byte size etc is the same on both the xml and the file info, this will tell you if the probelm is with the databse file or the reading of the database by vdj. or that the file differs in size etc, anyway u get the idea

peace out! hope that helps a little

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 1:47 am
Did it prompt you for a rescan?
How big is that xml folder you saved?
I'm between ripps and tagging on here, re ripping 5k video tracks so pretty busy.

If that back up xml database is 8k or thereabouts, save it again and reinstall vdj.
They put the xml database back into the folder.
It will prompt you to replace existing file select yes.

If this does not work, you are going to have to re analyze and cue your tracks.
I've not seen a saved database that wouldn't work after a corruption, done it several times myself, right down to a complete program reload.

Also for others reading this, I keep an identical data base on my back up system.
I create a folder on both desktops that is tagged VDJ Backup.
In that folder I keep my latest full install, licence code, playlist folder, skins folder, history, internal database and xml database.
So pretty much anything could happen and I could reload and restore in minutes, and have.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 1:52 am
Coyote;
The read id tag was always disabled. I enabled it to read title & comments. Then scanned database. A bunch of the songs and comments came back. I disabled the td tag again and shut down VDJ. Reopened it and they are still there. That helped, even though the BPM's and cues are not there

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 1:57 am
Xeo;
Database has a song as 5873664
File has it as 5736 KB

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 2:14 am
Coyote;
Give me a couple min and I will send to you; Thanks

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 2:17 am
yer i cant be arsed to convert the KB to bytes. if you go to properties (in windows XP) by right clicking the file it will tell you the file size in bytes not kilobytes (the number VDJ uses in the database)

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 2:34 am
Rick;
I will give your info a try a bit later. (Getting a bit crazy right now)

Coyote;
I sent databases to you.

Xeo;
I'll give it another try. (Brain a bit frazzled)

THANKS a bunch guys. Really appreciate all info.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 2:40 am
Xeo;
Just gave it another try. Both are exactly same.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 2:45 am
nice one theres taht question out of the way, wonder why its not working then? :S

anyone got any munch, im hungry?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 4:17 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
bogart,

did you have in VDJ Config->General->Multiusers Checked? Probe it checked and unchecked, maybe this is the real issue.

Good Luck!

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 5:20 am
ACW
Nope, multiuser not checked.
Still can't figure it out. Some tracks are still analyzed,but bo cue points and comments. All the rest are not analyzed.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 4:50 pm
Bogart,
"Xeo;
Database has a song as 5873664
File has it as 5736 KB" =5736000

If these are not the same size, its my guess that this is the problem.
Something has changed the file size, but I would have figured it would have got bigger not smaller.
How current is this back up?
Seems like somewhere between the original saved scan and the corruption, something changed the file sizes because they don't match.
PCDJ will alter the file size because it stores the analyzation info with the file.
I scanned once for VRM and f'ked up my VDJ database, thank you very much......one more stone to pry out of my forehead.....

Have you scanned these files with any other program?

Do you have the ORIGINAL xml database still?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 05 @ 5:32 pm
77%