Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: HERE IT IS MP3 SURROUND

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

At the upcoming AES Conference in Barcelona, Fraunhofer IIS will present its latest developments in the field of audio coding and demonstrates recent results of the standardization process of the new MPEG standard for spatial audio coding.

Currently, the Moving Pictures Expert Group (MPEG) standardizes a multi-channel extension for existing audio codecs. The most prominent features of the extended formats are their complete backward compatibility with existing stereo decoders and their extremely compact representation of surround audio. Fraunhofer IIS, together with Agere, CT, and Philips, significantly contributes to the standardization and demonstrates at AES Barcelona audio samples of MPEG Spatial Audio Coding.

An application of Spatial Audio Coding by Fraunhofer IIS is, for example, MP3 Surround. This format is presented at the Fraunhofer booth as well. A demo software is available for download on www.mp3surround-format.com to show the features of this new format by now.

Ensonido is the ideal supplement to MP3 Surround: It enables playback of multi-channel sound over standard stereo headphones by modelling the natural reception of surround sound by the human ear. Thus, Ensonido is the key to multi-channel audio on portable devices like PDAs or mobile phones. For more information on Ensonido please visit www.ensonido.com.

Wireless speakers, headphones, and internet telephony: These applications require high audio quality together with low coding delays. This can be realized by the AAC Low Delay Codec which works with an algorithmic delay of 20 milliseconds. For an even more efficient transmission the Ultra Low Delay audio codec achieves an algorithmic delay of only six milliseconds.

Posted Sun 11 Sep 05 @ 7:46 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Thanks for the info Phil, I'm going to read more in the URL you give.

Posted Mon 12 Sep 05 @ 2:12 am
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've not had a chance to read the links yet, however a few years ago Sony (in partnership with Phillips) created a wonderful invention which revolutionised how music is stored... the invention: the CD.

About 2/3 years ago they improved this with the SACD (super audio CD), which has a higher capacity than a DVD. These require a special player to listen to them, however they can be encoded with a "normal audio" track as well as the multichannel one.

play.com have this to say:

"SACDs are recorded using a process known as Direct Stream Digital (DSD). This samples sound at 2.88224 Mhz and stores it as 1 bit data, making it 64 times faster than CDs. This means it can capture a full range of sounds with incredible audio resolution, making it the closest approximation to the original analog waveform available. The upper frequency cut-off extends beyond 100kHz which, when combined with massive noise reduction, allows for an impressive dynamic range of over 120dB across the entire audible range.
DSD can even re-master old analogue master tapes revealing a new level of quality. SACDs are also capable of Multi-Channel audio containing up to 5.1 channels of surround sound.

"SACDs come in three different types: Single Layer discs (one High Density layer, 4.7GB), Dual Layer discs (two High Density layers, 8.54GB), and Hybrid discs. Hybrid discs are the only ones that will play on an ordinary CD player as they are made up of one High Density layer and one CD layer for complete compatibility.

"An extra data area has been reserved on SACD disc which will make it possible to include information in text, graphics and video."

Check out: http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=navfaq&page=sacdfaq&r=SACD

I first heard of SACD's when a little insert came with the CD Toxicity by System of a Down, and didnt think anything of it, however more recently, something ignited a spark in my head to check it out and so i now have a copy of Jeff Waynes "War of the Worlds", on a hybrid SACD (i use powerdvd to play it) and it is pretty damn cool!

Check it out!

that said, maybe Fraunhofer IIS, are the new ones to watch, if it does not need a special player to play the tracks, they will have the advantage over Sony...

Posted Mon 12 Sep 05 @ 2:23 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Thanks for the news Phil !

Posted Mon 12 Sep 05 @ 3:31 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Nebula,

The parameters of 4.7 and 8.3 GB are standard DVD single and dual layer. When I bought my Audigy 2 it came with an special Audio DVD. With 7.1 sound, 24bits, 192KHz, 106dB SNR. It has more rich sound, it's very good.

Posted Mon 12 Sep 05 @ 4:01 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
lol ok :o) I still love multitrack audio tho!

Posted Mon 12 Sep 05 @ 6:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)