Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Playlist randomizer with close BPM incorporated? Great plugin suggestion!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've done several google searches and haven't found much on this except for it suggested in another forum...

Basically I'm looking for the ability to do an intelligent shuffle or randomize function in a playlist (in or out of VDJ, hopefully home user version ;), but I'm guessing in VDJ is the only option as M3U playlists didn't list a BPM) such that tracks are randomized, but with no track having X percent difference in BPM to the previous or next track. Tracks that wouldn't "fit" could just be stashed at the end of the playlist in BPM order or whatever is easiest to work out. Idealy, one could imput theshold, or percentage difference, before doing the intelligent randomization by BPM function.

Sorting by BPM gives the same crap in the same order, randomizing causes too much time shifting, and manually tweaking files after shuffling takes way too much time, especially considering any computer could do better in under a 1/10 of a second.

I don't DJ, but just use the program for background music with a 4s automix autofader, and all (except those with changing BPM) songs with programmed tempo in and out points.

Surely, though, DJs would love to have a similar function, especially if the tolerance in percentage is user editable.

Can anyone produce such a plugin, or know of any software that does this? I and many others would be greatly appreciative. (and please make it home version compatible ;) )

(FTR, I've already checked the plugin section)

PLEASE POST IF YOU AGREE THIS IS A WORTHY FUNCTION/PLUGIN. THE MORE RESPONSES THIS GETS, THE MORE LIKELY THE FUNCTION WILL SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY. (Sorry to do all caps, but I don't see any bold or italic option on this forum)

Oh, and Atomix, sometimes it's one particular feature that causes someone to go with one program over another. I've already chosen your wonderful program, but many others haven't (hint hint) ;) :P

Thanks.

Posted Sat 27 Aug 05 @ 9:55 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
In VirtualDJ, in the playlist part inside the browser, there is a column called "bpm" but it is "hidden" if i remember it. Just move to the left the column "artist" and "title" and you should see the other columns like in the middle part of the browser

Posted Sun 28 Aug 05 @ 8:33 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
hmmm, then you have to upgrade to VDJ my friend.

Posted Sun 28 Aug 05 @ 6:08 pm
First, Thank you BOTH for your responses.

DJCEL: I know of and use the BPM column and its sort fuction. What I refer to is a function that would "somewhat" randomize the playlist, such that it would (1) pick a song at random and, then (2) pick the next song at random (excluding previously picked songs as not to repeat) from a set of songs that fell within, say, 9% (user configurable) of the previously selected song's BPM. If, later on in the process, no song existed within 9% + or - of the previous songs BPM, the closest song in BPM would be chosen then (3) repeat step 2 until all songs in the playlist had been used.

The end of the playlist, would, naturally deteriorate in BPM proximity, but with a sufficiently large playlist to randomize, the end of the list wouldn't be gotten around to being played.

Further refinement to the function/plugin could include a minimum and maximum BPM so that things wouldn't get too slow or too fast.

ACW DJ: I have read of nothing official indicating this feature in VDJ home OR pro. Please post me a link to information about this feature if it is indeed in VDJ pro.

Posted Mon 29 Aug 05 @ 3:14 am
Am I not clear in what I'm asking for?

No one can give me an answer regarding it?

Does the SDK for VDJ home/pro allow for such a playlist tweak?

Is there a program out there that can do the same with M3U or PLS files?

I wasn't expecting a hundreds of posts, but I must say I'm a bit surprised this idea (not that I'm taking credit for it) didn't get a few more posts than it did.

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 4:50 am
Penfold,

You are asking for a PC that matches the music for you, but you want be mixed in auto too... This kind of stuff is "DJ-BOX", AtomixMP3 is more manual than VirtualDJ, and Virtual DJ and AtomixMP3 are for a DJ, not for what you are asking for.

If you want to do a playlist that fit what you need and you mix or indicate the sequence, then you could use VDJ for this.

But as I see, you only want to put songs in the playlist and want the PC do ALL the mix and the correct order for you, this is made by "DJ-Box" and the cost of this automated features cost money, 4800 euros Minumum and could be rise as 6800 euros. http://www.dj-box.com/ .

Good Luck!

Posted Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 2:00 pm
I am interested in the DJ Box but my french isnt very good ...

Can you buy the software without the hardware ?

I would like to now what feat this has and if its worth all the money

thanks

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 3:15 am
It seem is a whole solution (Hardware and Software) incluiding some support from the Hardware vendor. I understand 6500 euros only... and not all, except what I mention before.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 12:20 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)