Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hey DJ, do you take requests? - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

When I was doing weddings I always took requests. The ages of the people at a wedding runs from 12 to 90. You HAVE to be able to play something for everyone in the first few hours, maybe not what they wanted to hear but at least something from their era. If the dancing starts at 8:00 pm, well by 10:00 pm the oldies want to go home so you get the garter and throwing of the bouquet done. Then you let loose.

I followed this formula for 20 years and by the 5th year i always had about 30 bookings for the next year in advance. By February I never had a free weekend during the wedding season.

The last year I worked as a full time DJ I did 76 weddings and 2 club nights a week for 6 months for a total of 128 bookings.

As for the requests a good line is "If I can fit it in I will"

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 1:56 pm
beats me why it posted twice

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 1:57 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Put your self into the shoes of the requester!, what if you wanted a tune somewhere?, and how do you go about asking?, and how do you feel if the DJ gives you an excuse which is obviously a lie, that immediately makes the DJ an ass in your mind!.., if your a good judge of character anyway..

I know the thing with DJ's, most are arrogant and full of themselves, yet still know nothing about music!, it's very refreshing when you meet a nice laid back DJ who will at least be honest, smile and talk for a few secs.., on the other hand i'm going on the assumption that people don't scream at you while your trying to mix.., they must be well mannerd, and the request must be within reasonable boundries yes.

But isn't your job to serve the people?, rather than you go their with a tunnel visioned attitude to get the mixes spot on?, I think your job is to serve the majority and not the few.., so if one makes a request that you honestly beleive wouldn't go down to well for the majority, then it shouldn't be played.., but if it's something most will like or accept, then play it.., some requests can be harmless, but I find not the request part a hinderance..

Rather, the real hinderance is the people who protest your style, the simple truth in a commercial club is this, some people come in and want/expect to listen to hip hop all night, at the first sight of "4 to the floor" beats then they'll be unhappy, and 2-3 songs later they may complain, and on the other side is the people who came because they wanted to dance to more high energy music in the 125bpm+ range, they would be unhappy if they even smell hip hop.., the best job you can do here in negotiating with customers is to do the following few things.

1.make your point about the various different audiences. People come here to listen to all music, and that it wouldn't be possible to just play one style all night, "I have to please everyone".

2. Inform the person that the styles will chop and change, and his style will is coming up real soon.

3. mirror the person, tell them that if it was up to you you'd play that style all night too, and that it's your favourite style, if they continue to persist..see point 1.

So the duty of a DJ isn't always easy, and no DJ can win them all.., actually a DJ's best friend is the one who bears all music, which isn't all together common in my experience..

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 3:05 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Whats funny is an hour later when they come up, pick up the request list and ask where I am on the list.
My reply is "somewhere in the middle".
When I spot a track that I want to get in, I load it into the waitlist so it will get played for sure.

Typically I keep an eye on it for off the wall requests that might work.
But usually its the minute I play a classic, I get a line of hip hoppers.
I had two brat girls come up with their fingers in their ears last gig.
I asked if it was too loud or something.

When I play HH I get a line of adults looking for classics or the skaters looking for the MR.
By far the country folk have the best manners and party just as hard.

Club guys, you have it made.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 4:26 pm
I'll say the first personally I appreciate most styles of music (I'm not to keen on the Screaming Rock Variety, and to be honest - If that's what you want do you need a DJ).
I have a very eclectic taste in music and the songs on my phone or iPod couldn't be more diverse!

I follow the general rule that I am more than happy to take requests, a lot of the time (90%) it's for a song I'm likely to play anyway or is in my Waitlist already...just looking for the right time to drop it.

I mainly do private functions just now but I've done a fair bit of club work including strict format (eg in a lap and pole dancing club).
Unless I get a really tough crowd...they generally go with what I say. I try my best to understand / empathise with the guest / requester. Most of the time they trust my judgement and can appreciate that if I said I'm not going to play it there is a good reason...as long as you give them an honest reason.
If I've got it and there's no problems I'll play it.
Occassionally I do take a request and genuinely forget or run out of time to play it (most of the time because I'm thinking I'll save that till...)

The 1 thing that ticks me of most is the ppl that have been there for hours and wait till the last 10-15 mins to make a request, you've got your last 5 songns planed and there's just no way it's fitting in...then they call you an Arse or something like that.
It's worse when you've reminded them all night over the mic that you do take requests.

The other thing is the can you play something we can dance to. Generally it's a granny when the floor is packed with young talent ;-) I think by "we" they mean "Me and the other 3 grans that are here" Yeah we're there to plaease most ppl so I do my best and hope there little feet get sore and they sit down again soon :-D

Ross.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 4:44 pm
Thanks to everyone for writing here so far, i've enjoyed reading your responses :).

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 5:48 pm
Funny short one.
I had this last 15 min pushy female, (a rather good looking one at that), push push push as the clock clicked 11pm.
I try not to over run the time, some staff get mad when it's later than it supposed to be.

Anyway, she is badgering me and I get on the mic to ask for permission to continue from security.
Well just as fast as it rolled off my tounge asking for security came the second call, "security I'm having a problem up here".
Now the whole place is staring at her as she melts behind anything she can and that was the last I saw of her for the evening. It was quite funny to watch the cutie squirm in front of the whole crowd.
Her friends gave her a bad time as well, it was well recieved not mean to clarify.

The important thing is to not be rude or mean to people despite how they treat us.
Just smile, nod and keep on truckin'.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 5:59 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
When some people come to me and ask "Can you play something to dance?"... 8-S ... I play everything TO DANCE so... I have to ask them:
"What kind of music do you want?"
"What SONG do you want?"
"Let me finish some other request (or my current set, about xyz minutes) and I play it for you."

We need specific directions when there's people dancing and someone ask us for something to dance!!!.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 6:20 pm
Another reply that works is "can you dance to it"?
The answer unloads the question in a second.
That loses the screaming MR fans, they're not there to dance anyway.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 6:29 pm
hehe :).

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 7:07 pm
Or even better. I tell them when they request it, they better be out there on the dance floor when I play it. If they don't get to the dance floor when it comes on, sometimes I mix out after the first verse,... and that'll be the last request I play from that person.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 8:17 pm
I'll give you another one. A few weeks back I am DJing the Angels vs. Yankees postgame party at Nationals Sports Bar. One of the managers got off early and he was drinking with all his (male) buddies. They were pretty buzzed by about midnight and started YELLING at me to play "Pitbull - Toma". Great song and everything but it didn't fit in my set and I didn't appreciate them making it their mission in life to get the song played. The mood of the place died when I finally put it on for him. I walked over to him and his buddies and I made him scan the room and see for himself how the mood died. He's never asked me to play another song again.

Now there is a busboy at the same place who is very persistent about hearing "Ben Harper - With My Own Two Hands". Again, great song,.. but not in the middle of my hip hop set!

Now that I think about it, .. I hope neither of them are VDJ users on this forum :-)

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 8:22 pm
give the ppl what they want

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 11:36 pm
It's not giving the people what they want that is the problem. It is giving the PERSON what he/she wants that all the PEOPLE will hate that is the issue.

Posted Fri 26 Aug 05 @ 3:18 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
< vpcdj

very funny responses...

Phil It couldnt have said it better--Give The People What They Want.
there's so much to say to that i dont even know where to begin. A real good dj will make somethin good even out of bad requests thats where the microphone/hyping comes in handy.

its too bad that jukebox djs r caught offguard when asked for requests. not everything has to be planned. everyone does have their style/playlist set in their head but it can be altered. ive once started a hip-hop set but went into a hard techno set [and back to hip-hop] coz thats where the flow went. a bumch of college dudes stormed in the black joint out of no where. so long as people r dancing i dont give... they came up to the booth to talk to me like i was a celebrity.

in the same club one time this old man payed me $50 to play a song he wanted to hear. he didnt really have to pay me coz it was the set was already slow old skool. his request was a [black] 70s slow song.
(Ive seen some djs with tip jars lol funny ish. u guys should discuss whether its right to have these tip jars lol)

i will play 97% of my requests or try convince them to an alternative.
i cant say too much on this [reasons withheld]. but reading these opinions there'r bad (IMO) and good views.

anon aka vpcdj

Posted Fri 26 Aug 05 @ 9:40 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
vpcdj,

You are in the same channel :-)

The tips, I didn't can tell much about it... In 10 years I receive 4 tips, so I really don't have experience. But I get paid for that job, tips aren't suppose to be allow (like a jars please!) IT'S MY JOB right?

Take request or offer an alternative to please ALL (who are currently in the Gig and who is asking for the request) must be part of the job. (An make it well and in peace is the challenge).

Posted Fri 26 Aug 05 @ 9:59 pm
I know the subject is whether we DJ's take requests, but I think you need to put the shoe on the other foot too!!, I mean, ok..you are a DJ?.., but you've never been to a club as a paying visitor with your friends?..

Maybe you don't so often.., but for sure you have!, and I bet almost everyone on this community has approached a DJ and made a request at some point?..

So tell us about your experience with other DJ's, do you always get your requests played?, and how do you feel if your request isn't played?..

Luckily the few times I have made a request it was done on my sound judgement of "what kinda guy is he?", but I once made a kylie minogue request and added "a bit more dancey please".., it was a girlfriend thing ;), but anyway.., I was nice to the DJ and he was nice to me, and he did actually play several kylie songs :), and toke my advice, at that moment he made a friend.., the dance floor had been empty, but me and my girl started to dance to "can't get you outta my head (blue monday mix)", and guess what, tens followed us.., it was great.

The point is the DJ had good manners, he listened, and pleased me by taking my request.., and it in turn broke the ice, and people started to dance.., the DJ wasn't young, and he was actually really good, an experienced DJ, but I think his success was in his character and not just his mixing..

Someones the DJ doesn't know best, sometimes I don't know best, and sometimes you don't know best!, so I say lets talk with people as friends and not down to them like they have no idea of what their talking about, it's not always the case.

Posted Fri 26 Aug 05 @ 10:16 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
@acw_dj

when i used to actively dj in 2001 i was paid $150/night. the waitresses and bartenders got nothing less than $200 in pay+tips. it started bothering me that i shout them out on the mic to get tips and they made more money partly coz of me. then one time i went to some club and met this wack dj with a tip jar!!!! WTF i was thinking if anything its me who should be paid that tip money lol

anyway pride cant allow me to have a tip jar. but if someone wants to tip me coz im pleasing them i wont refuse. especially not anything less than $20. the older dudes who just sit by the bar are the ones with the real money. and them i'll try to keep around as long as possible. i know they'll be leaving before 12. at 12 my club used to completely change face.

Posted Fri 26 Aug 05 @ 10:52 pm
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
well I have a story to...

I live in a little village in holland. So, i see the same people over and over again.
There is one guy, he's the stupidest man on earth..hahaha..
I know he loves dutch music. And he knows that i know that.
So, when i play some hits he come to me and say : hé ! play some dutch for me !.
In a while, when i play some good dutch music, he is telling everybody how good the dj is.
When i flip over to hits again, he's goming back to me with the words : I told you to play dutch music !.

Now..... that is realy boaring me.

One time i had a party for this man (this crazy mot*^%r f%!#ck*!r)
I didn't play all night. He was to demanding so i stopped and packed my stuff.
Told him he had to play the music for the night when i get a beer.
When i had that beer and no jop. it whas a good party hahahahahahaha.

btw.....He never asked me again.

Posted Sat 27 Aug 05 @ 8:20 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
NO! I will not play it if it's a crap song! I am paid to do my job! If someone want's to change the way I do, he can always talk to the manager. I rather sit at home and doing nothing, instead of being a bad taste DJ! Nothing is worse than that! And I have a job for years now.... So my way is the RIGHT way :) !

Posted Sat 27 Aug 05 @ 9:40 am
82%