Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New External Controller

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey Guys-

Been without internet for a while after moving, but i'm back with a new idea i am developing.

I have been developing a snap-on cover for keyboards that will function as an external controller for the many atomix users who cannot afford (nor like the features) of the atomixmp3pro controller. It would be an inexpensive "cover" for your keyboard that allows you to place controlling buttons wherever you want them on the keyboard, and also allow for the cover to be flipped up to type normaly (like if you needed to search for a song)

Take for example the buttons on the pro controller or any "cd" style controller. You have oversized play/pause, cue, stop, pitch, loop, and various other buttons. These buttons would be snapped into a position of your choice on the new keyboard "cover" . Some people need buttons (shortcuts) for some functions, others may not need those at all. You also have right and left handed people, and a huge assortment of plain preference. Basically no two people may have the same layout. Once you customize where you like your controller buttons on your new cover (which looks kinda like a honeycomb design in the shape of a keyboard layout) then your cover is snapped over the traditional keyboard. When a controller button is depressed on the cover , it actually presses down on the corresponding key below it on your normal keyboard. It doesn't matter which key it is, because you can set it up in the shortcuts. For example you would set "play" as whatever key actually gets depressed depending on your preference of position. You dont even need to know which key it is, just press your controller button, and whichever key it happens to be over will be the new shortcut key.

This way, you can get rid of all the uneeded extra keys, which make it tough to hit the one you want, make it hard to see, and just plain confuse you.

I am working on transferring my pages and pages of sketches to digital fromat, and I plan on having a working prototype produced using a 3-d plastic printer within the next month or so.

what I am asking from all the users out there is this:

-Would you use and/or benefit from this product?
-Does $50 for something like this sound a lot better than $500 for the pro controller, when in fact the pro controller can acomplish even less?
-Would the Atomix team support me in this development?

Any comments/ideas are aprreciated. I will have a picture up soon, and i will post an address you can view it at in the near future.

Posted Wed 28 Aug 02 @ 10:13 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
I would be intrested in this controller for sure. You should see my keyboard right now its a mess. If only my typing teacher could have covered up all the keys like I have done, I would have aced my typing tests.

.:DJ Homeboy:.

Posted Thu 29 Aug 02 @ 12:18 am
I send my full support for this. I shouldn't have to spend $500 on a piece of equipment that does the same things as my keyboard just to look "professional." That leads to my specific input. Make sure it looks aesthetically pleasing. (it would be pretty cool if you put graphics art on it) The only beef I have with this is that not all keyboards are similiar in shape so how do you intend to get around this?

Posted Thu 29 Aug 02 @ 4:17 pm
I know all keyboards are not the same, so I plan on using a standard microsoft keyboard or other brand that can easily be found and purchased for a relativly low cost. I know that kinda sucks, but until I think of a better way (which is in the works) this is the route I will take.

Posted Thu 29 Aug 02 @ 10:28 pm
fezroxHome userMember since 2001
Digitize, love the idea. I am a software/hardware engineer myself and would love to help if needed. Please let me know if I can be of any service. fez@tonymojo.com

-Tony

Posted Thu 29 Aug 02 @ 10:41 pm
Now the Numark have STOPPED making the DMC-1 (Ooops did I say too much ) I think this is a great idea.

Posted Sat 31 Aug 02 @ 8:57 pm
sounds cool!

when can we expect a picture?

Posted Sat 31 Aug 02 @ 9:10 pm
Give me about 3-4 weeks, this should be enough time to work out the bugs, and get a prototype made. I have to get the drawings into an Auto CAD program, but I need to find someone who can do this. If you can help, let me know. Once the specs are in a CAD program, then I can "print" it using the 3-d plastic printers I have access to at my university.

I have one question though....
do yoiu guys think it would be better to make an "attachment" for existing keyboards, or just use the same circuitry paths of a standard keyboard, and produce a completely new front?

Posted Mon 02 Sep 02 @ 12:12 am
I’m not a pro but, definitely, I’ll support you all the way. I’m getting good at this and, therefore, I think a controller is a good thing to own and for this price it sounds very enjoyable.

DDJ JohnnyJ

Posted Mon 02 Sep 02 @ 4:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)