Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Technics SL-1200 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

roryHome userMember since 2001
Is anybody out there gonna make a skin for the 1200? its been a part of DJing history, so why has no one done a skin for it yet?

Posted Wed 03 Apr 02 @ 10:40 am
Ummmmm ......... 1200's are turntables .. Why would you want to make out of them (The only have a start/stop button and a pitch control) ?? Skins are only made out of CD Players !!!!!!! Turntables belong in museums .... nowhere near atomix.

Posted Wed 03 Apr 02 @ 5:55 pm
manuelHome userMember since 2002
i disagree trip..
Turntables will always be a part of djing ,im never EVER gonna quit spinning vinyl :)

Posted Wed 03 Apr 02 @ 6:58 pm
Sure, vinyl is THE sound tool for Djs
I love to carry my heavy 50 Kgs flight cases :)

RvN

Posted Wed 03 Apr 02 @ 9:04 pm
Sorry ... not to say that turntables suck .... I just think it would be innapropriate as a skin for atomix.

No offence to vinyl users =)

Posted Wed 03 Apr 02 @ 10:16 pm
turntables do suck

Posted Wed 03 Apr 02 @ 11:59 pm
Lets not get started on that .... we've only had this dicussion only a few million times before.

Posted Thu 04 Apr 02 @ 1:02 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well, it's maybe not so much the turntables that suck... they're only like 30 lbs each... I think it was the 4-5 crates of vinyl that has to be carried along with them. No, you're right, Turntables do suck. But, they were fun to mix with.....

Posted Thu 04 Apr 02 @ 2:26 am
Yes we know... turn tables suck... MP3's are the best. Wait how many MP3 DJ's are in the top night clubs, touring the world. You're right.... turntables suck.

Posted Thu 04 Apr 02 @ 5:39 am
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Please stop all that dj macho talk, if you are playing cd's, mp3 or vinyl it's all good!!!

But you are a dj when you can move the croud.....

I rest my case.

Posted Thu 04 Apr 02 @ 10:08 am
crundlePRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't care if the dj farts and burps his/her tunes - just make the crowd go wild!!!!!

Posted Thu 04 Apr 02 @ 1:00 pm
"Wait how many MP3 DJ's are in the top night clubs, touring the world"

This could not be any more true. At this time you will NEVER find a club with a "mp3" dj, you never will either. Yeah, lets go to a club and watch the dj click his mouse button. That Rocks!

Atomix is used by many because its so damn easy. Anyone with half a brain could produce a decent mix with this program. The "real" dj's out there are the ones that use either turntables or cd decks. Thats where the real skills our, not in a mp3 software.

Dj Jason

Posted Thu 04 Apr 02 @ 10:38 pm
roryHome userMember since 2001
ya ya... so whos gonna make the skin?

Posted Thu 04 Apr 02 @ 11:29 pm
(silence ..... )

** cough **

Posted Fri 05 Apr 02 @ 12:38 am
Atomix is used by many because its so damn easy. Anyone with half a brain could produce a decent mix with this program. The "real" dj's out there are the ones that use either turntables or cd decks. Thats where the real skills our, not in a mp3 software.

Dj Jason

um... okay. and why does it have to be hard? a lot of things are harder to do in linux with just command line paramaters (no interface like GNU or X windows), than under windows with easy controls and a common logical interface. so linux is better simply because it's harder? (i'm not pro MS or pro UNIX, i'm just citing this as an example) if you can get the same results from either form.. whoooooooo gives a shit.

if i'm at a club or event, i care about the music and the quality of it. i don't care if the dj is standing on his head, frothing at the mouth, and simply hits a button only once every 5 minutes. if the music is good.. well then there you have it.

I can use Word to make a quick, easy, professional looking document, or i can use notepad and fiddle with it all day to do the same amount of work i did in Word in under 5 minutes. should i use notepad cuz it's harder, and man that would take some serious skillz to pull off? i think not. your line of argument sucked dude. i thought this was all about the music, am i wrong?

and even better yet. i can have a C/C++ program with just 2 very simple basic functions with simple recursion, or i can write it in assembly. hmmm... now which one do you think people would choose? wow, i don't know, that's a tuff one there. i know i'd love to sit at a computer all day ripping my hair out coding in only assembly with absolutely no help from C. but damnit.. it's definitely worth it cuz hey.. it's harder.

Posted Fri 05 Apr 02 @ 3:35 am
Very well put old chap !
I know that when I'm @ a club or whatever , I just want to enjoy myself .I couldn't give a toss weather the music comes from vinyl , tape , cd , md etc as long as it gets me going .
It's a different story if the dj was playing the insruments him/herself but they are not , they are just playing someone elses material .
Ant I don't favour (correct English spelling ) dj's that make pigs ears out of well constructed music .I just want the dj to keep the rythm & beat going .
This is where Atomix comes in to the frame ,It's very good (but not brilliant) at doing what It's designed to do .
If you want to scratch buy t/tables .Those idiots who keep trying to get the vinyl effect out of mp3 software are driving me crazy , why don't they go & get a life !

Regards
Jack (London)

Posted Fri 05 Apr 02 @ 7:57 am
ShaggyTHome userMember since 2001
Actually, Richie Hawtin (Plasticman) and John Aquaviva (sp?) both use a new software/hardware setup called finalscratch, which uses turntables to control mp3 files on a computer.

They insist this is the future of djing, and I would have to agree. Same tactile input as conventional turntable mixing, with the many advantages of mp3s.

I think the primary reason most "superstar" djs still spin vinal is that it just looks cooler. I mean, it does look cool, doesn't it?

I'l give vinal another five years before it's all but extinct...

Posted Sat 06 Apr 02 @ 7:57 am
ShaggyTHome userMember since 2001
Actually, Richie Hawtin (Plasticman) and John Aquaviva (sp?) both use a new software/hardware setup called finalscratch, which uses turntables to control mp3 files on a computer.

They insist this is the future of djing, and I would have to agree. Same tactile input as conventional turntable mixing, with the many advantages of mp3s.

I think the primary reason most "superstar" djs still spin vinal is that it just looks cooler. I mean, it does look cool, doesn't it?

I'l give vinal another five years before it's all but extinct...

Posted Sat 06 Apr 02 @ 7:58 am
I've gotta get my eyes tested , I'm seeing double !

LOL

Posted Sun 07 Apr 02 @ 7:39 am
crundlePRO InfinityMember since 2003
hands up if you go to a club or rave to WATCH the dj's or if you go there to HEAR the music......

In a few years time, products like atomix will be widespread and accepted, so get used to it.... If it allows the dj to throw in better loops and effects into the mixing, then it isn't making it easier for the dj, it is merely allowing the dj to do more in the time they are performing....
listen to some really old mixes, and check out what is being done now, and you will hear how much slicker mixes can be made now, even if vinyl and digital are used together
but that's just my opinion =)

Posted Mon 08 Apr 02 @ 10:14 am
91%