Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Calling all working "Virtual" DJ's - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

i wanted to ask those who have made the crossover from vinyl/cd's to computer dj'ing, how you personally sell yourself and your skills to promoters, clubs and whoever else.

i am a professional dj and i have been dj'ing using vinyl since early 90's. i would very much like to switch entirely over to using VDJ at my gigs instead of vinyl or cd's, for the many obvious reasons there are, BUT, i don't know how i'm going to go about selling my skillz if i do this.

I don't know how i'm going to approach my booking agency to tell them i will no longer be using tables, i will be bringing "my laptop instead". same with party promoters. every party i have ever played or foresee myself playing, is full of strictly vinyl *s n o b s*. I imagine i will have a tough time convincing promoters to hire me and my skillz as a "dj" when technically i no longer am a "disc"-jockey but rather a "virtual" *mp3*-jockey.

the cool factor in being a dj has always been about the skill it takes to juggle two records, beat & key match with turntables, to do this well and to keep a party moving. but when 99% of the job is done by a little black box, how does one sell themselves anymore when you are now simply the "controller" of that little black box, a job that most anyone could do with very little experience. it took me years of practice to learn how to keep the crowd on the floor and entertained with vinyl records. VDJ allows almost anyone at all to do the exact same thing in a matter of a few sessions with the software.

i dunno what i'm trying to say...maybe a little too philosophical for a friday afternoon :), but i am really curious as to how the professionals on this list have fared.

any and all advice much appreciated.

Posted Fri 05 Dec 03 @ 9:57 pm
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
I've never owned a vinyl record, and I just realized I can barely spell it. Although it might be fun to try sometime, I'd never spend the money it costs to buy even one good turntable.

I've used various DJ programs before, and I'm realizing that you can't just make a playlist of songs you think people will like and go with that (while actually maintaining a "successful dance floor" at a party/wedding). The art of differentiating "cool music" from "tracks that beg for people to dance to them" is a little homework project that probably comes unexpected to us mp3 dj's who thought there would be nothing to it. We don't go to the record store with a limited budget knowing we only have enough for the grooviest stuff.

Till I get better at it, my method of preparing is to anticipate what genres will be played, then having a "Best of" subdirectory (or playlist) for a genre trimmed down into another "best of best" subcatagory (which I still need work on).

So although its easier for us to beatmatch or add little effects and stuff, most of us will be still learning about what we should actually play... which you already seem to know. So I'd try making this your big selling point. Make sure you tell them how many times and what types of DJ'ing you've done, cause if I was interviewing a DJ thats what I'd ask.

What might be cool is if you have a laptop, just offer an on-the-spot demo of a few of your tracks. Clubs will probably wish to know what happens if your computer crashes (which I'd want to know as well). Although I'm not too worried about my laptop because it has good cooling and runs WinXP, you will certainly need to anticipate how hot the club is going to be and whether or not the DJ booth will have extra cooling.

Posted Fri 05 Dec 03 @ 10:42 pm
Hey colonelcobwebs,

I feel you on the vinyl thing. I use to be a DJ since the late 80' to mid 90's.

The problem with what your trying to do is that when people see someone come in with little equipment and a laptop, people get the impression that you have pre-programmed or cd music that you will play for the crowd.

In their minds they think that they might be getting short changed by hiring you. They want to see someone work at the turntable. For all they know your just putting in a CD and press play. To them they would see you and say "I could have done that for free. Why should I pay hundreds to thousands of dollars to pay this person if he is just playing a CD."

But we know better, it's just trying to convince the consumer that concept which will go over their heads and they won't understand what your talking about.

My suggestion is to show the agency and or club what economical and technological bennefits they will receive in the long run, Talent wise and investment wise.

You got to sell them the sizzle as well as the steak.

Good Luck.

Posted Sat 06 Dec 03 @ 1:53 am
For me, this is a false problem.
Being a DJ is not beat matching, is knowing the music, and peole tend to forget that DJing is knowing the music and feeling the people in order to throw the good song at the good moment.

And if people look at the DJ it is because the music is not good. If the party rocks people don't bother about who you are and what you do. The best compliment I've ever had is two people discussing about my mix next to me after a gig. They did not bother looking once at my face during the set because they enjoyed.

A writer is not better or worse because he is using a computer compared to the times he used to handwrite. One technique is just more convenient and offers different possibilites. I use Atomix because of the possibility to make loops, with the loops I play additional live layers with a synthesizer or additional beats with a drum pad, who can do that with vynil???

Just FYI, I have DJed for years on vynil, and switch to Atomix without passing through the CD phase. But when I realized the creative potential of computer assisted mix ... For me the error is to call that Virtual DJ, the DJ is not Virtual, he is here, and without him there is not party. There is nothing virtual about that.

My two cents on this.

Posted Sat 06 Dec 03 @ 3:01 am
i agree with lavoisier... spot on!

Posted Sat 06 Dec 03 @ 11:24 am
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
I have been DJ'ing since the 70's and yes of course I used vinyl. I remember when the first CD player came out and I just used it for just slow music. Then I progressed to all CD's. Once you leave vinyl CD's, switching over to computer is a breeze, no loyality anymore to vinyl. I actually bought Final Scratch to use the vinyl for some Raves that I may make a guest appearance at. The problem with FS is that there are lots of ground looping problems and other problems, so I left the Rave scene. With Atomixmp3 program, it reopened the Rave and other mixing scenes for me but I worked it with my external keypad and shortcuts. I lost some gigs because of having nothing to work besides the keypads, etc. But now, especially since digital CD players came out like Pioneer that you can scratch with, it opened promoters and club owners minds about nonturntable expertise. Now, what I am hoping is that the X10 device will be Virtual DJ's answer to having us users nothing to really work with. If it (X10) works like it is supposed to, with two of them, plus a keypad (mainly for looping, sound effects), us DJ's will be able to work it just as before and better. As mentioned in the above messages, we must work the idea of computer DJ'ing. I let the promoters/managers know I am a computer DJ. I will do a demo live for them, just off the laptop speaker if I must. I also tell the wannabees that I have been doing vinyl and the mixing/scratching before you were even a twinkle in your mom and dad's eye and I can jump right back in. It's like riding a bike, it comes right back. As for backup, I now carry an extra laptop. Before I had the money for that, I carried my spare CD setup, then I went to a homebuilt tower. In regards to mixing (beatmatching), DJ's can make a career without ever doing it. I have a wedding gig every saturday throughout the year without any beatmatching whatsoever. I also work a club on Tuesdays that require no beatmatching, however my Friday night gig requires it, along with my guest appearances on a late Saturday night. Again as someone mentioned above, yes, the booker could have put in a computer and ran the music him/herself but, for me, they are paying for experience, my knowlege of music and the ability to know when to put which song where and most of all, they are paying for my technology.

Note: I also do karaoke and mtv-style music videos completely from a computer. I DJ full-time and have been since the beginning.

Posted Sat 06 Dec 03 @ 2:41 pm
"for me, they are paying for experience, my knowlege of music and the ability to know when to put which song where and most of all, they are paying for my technology."

to me, this says it all. now if i can just convince everyone else....

Posted Mon 08 Dec 03 @ 4:41 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It's up to every professional to stay on top of the thecnological advances in his/her field. You don't need to tell anybody anything. They have booked you in the past, and quite frankly you are now offering an even better product. (in theory anyway, having never seen you work)
When I changed from turntables to CD's, I never asked the bars or clubs I was working at if they had a preference, and likewise when I finally left the crates of CD's at home. The managers and patrons of these places were blown away! They all thought it was a definate upgrade.
You don't need permission to do a better job.
If you make a big deal out of it, they might get nervous that you think it's a step down. You should just say, Now using state of the industry digital technology!

there is nothing "cool" about juggling CD's, or records. The cool part of being a disc jockey, (which you still are) is making the proper musical selections to keep the room moving. People don't give a crap if you can juggle, they care if they are moved out of their seats.

Posted Mon 08 Dec 03 @ 4:53 pm
As I used Virtual DJ to mix only original material, most promoters out there did'nt really care too much. But, whenever i play any other material, I use vinyl.

To the person who said you don't need to beatmatch to be a dj: that is the biggest crock of shit i've ever heard. As much as I love VDJ and its abilities, ANYBODY can use it after 5 minutes. Sorry to break it to you, but for all of you who have only ever mixed on a computer and Call yourself a DJ, i laugh.

Being able to beatmatch is the KEY element to being a dj. If not, your mix sounds like shit. If you were to tell anybody outside of this board otherwise, they would laugh in your face

The DJ market is already saturated with everybody and their grandmother who wants to be the next Paul Jokenfold.

Promoters don't want people who come in and use only a PC because it takes away from the skill associated with a DJ (i.e Beatmatching). They dont want someone comming in who comes in with a computer and a bunch of songs he downloaded of Kazaa. One of the things that makes a DJ is his hard work at collecting various records.

Now myself, as a Producer,Promoter, DJ and Virtual DJ user, I would never hire the services of a DJ using virtual DJ unless it was their own material.

Posted Fri 12 Dec 03 @ 9:20 pm
ok for me i still use both thats why no one complains i agree beat matching is really important but if u think beat matching with vdj is really simple then ur wrong

its easy when ur doing electronica ( techno trance house etc)

try mixing hip hop r&b with it

it wont be that easy

it takes time and practice but once u get it right :)))))))))))

see i mix both but when i do an electronica set i never get the satisfaction like i do the hip hop r&b coz thats skill

with trance and such u might as well just sit ur a$$ down choose a song and it'll propably just gooooooooo
all u have to worry about is choosing the right song

with hip hop not all songs just match
u gotta choose the right song
and its gotta match
its not easy
but once u get it right its alot of fun

dj smokey ```````````

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 8:06 am
"Sorry to break it to you, but for all of you who have only ever mixed on a computer and Call yourself a DJ, i laugh. "

hey dan...i agree/concur with everything you said in your post....but you just insulted 99% of the people that browse this forum with that line...heh...:D

this is exactly the problem tho...everyone and their dog can dj with this software and a decent high-speed connection allows you access to almost any song you can think of....a little bit of a burn to those of us who have spent years of time, effort and money collecting vinyl, learning how to beatmatch with our ears, learning how to read vinyl grooves in the dark at raves, when drunk, tweaking ravers are wandering in and out of our space, asking if you have any "songs with words in them"....

the yin and the yang of this software....

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 9:19 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
everyone is entitled to their opinion. That doesn't make it correct. I've been DJing for 15 years now. Started with tables in that monstorous coffin console, and crates and crates of vinyl. Private events, and bars, and night clubs. It took me almost 2 years to completely encode my entire archives. 15 years worth of DJ music.
I work anywhere from 3-6 nights a week, 3 regular in the winter, 5 regular in the summer. I carry about 6 (just in case) CD's.
I quit my day job 13 years ago. I don't give a rats ass what you call me. (most people call me the DJ) as long as at the end of the night I get paid.
Call it what you will. It's cool with me if you think it's a joke.

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 10:20 pm
This whole discussion is PANTS!!
You say you have DJ'd for many years and (I would imagine) in that time learned a huge amount of techniques.

And, you say, that VDJ software is be-littling your talent as any Tom, Dick or Harriet can now mix,

Well in the words of Nero Wolfe "Phooey"

Beatmatching accounts for probably 10% of the skill involvded in being a DJ, (I learnt the basics from a friend using a tape deck and one of those Hi-Fi systems that looked like a HUGE coffee table!!!!! in 1 afternoon!!) What about Scratching, Cutting, Using EQ and effects, not to mention actually have a PERSONALITY!!!!

Get a grip and realise your skills
they haven't been pushed aside, You've done the hard graft and honed your talent now its time to take it up a gear
Using VDJ or any dj S/W doesn't detract, it enhances adding yet another string and if you feel you're letting the side down tke 1 turn table with you, the possibilities there are limitless.

USE YOUR IMAGINATION!!!

Posted Sun 14 Dec 03 @ 3:22 am
I don't agree with canadadan either. I have living proof. I make just short of triple digits a year as a computer dj. I do anything from an oldie show to a retro show, to a hip-hop show to a rave, and oh ya, weddings. I have been straight computer for over 7 years now. I work from my hometown area to Atlantic City, NJ. First off, I have worked vinyl while probably most of you weren't even thought of yet, maybe even in diapers. In my opinion, if you can't beat match vinyl your tone-deaf. I did it with a broken arm. Yes, these computer programs make it even easier BUT, you must know how to work it. Also, very important to dj'ing is knowing which song to play next and how to get the crowd started. In over 7 years, if I can recall, I only had 2 dj's call me a whimp because of using a computer and my response was, I'm working a gig on a Saturday night and your not. In fact, both of those 2 dj's still come out to my club of over 2,000 people just about every Sat. night because they have no gigs. They do however, have lots of vinyl and a pair of tables. I'm not saying every area of living is the same however, I can handle myself both verbally with the know-it-alls, musically and experience.

Posted Sun 14 Dec 03 @ 4:37 pm
"In my opinion, if you can't beat match vinyl your tone-deaf. I did it with a broken arm"

there must be a whole lot of "tone-deaf" dj's then cuz most i personally know can't mix two records together if they were paid....oh wait...they are being paid....heh...(what's the key the song is in got to do with beat matching tho??)

i s'pose if you're doing an "oldie" show or dj'ing the Bird Dance at weddings,, you don't need to beat match or use vinyl. but if you dj at all in the techno arena, it has been my experience that computer dj's are laughed at, if not to their face then definitely behind their back. and if you can't keep a crowd moving with well mixed records, you don't get hired again. that's the way it is at any place i've ever played. it might suck, but it's the way it is. there are a LOT of minds to change before computer dj'ing is the norm.

i wasn't trying to start an argument. just fishing for opinions and i got a few (remember these ARE all opinions) :D

Posted Sun 14 Dec 03 @ 7:11 pm
I guess areas of the country must be different. But it is just hard for me to understand because I do beatmatch, naturally with virtualdj and I also have final scratch with uses vinyl and I never anymore take the final scratch with me because of more complications, etc. I beat match with virtual dj every fri and sat night for over 2,000 people per night with sometimes closer to 3,000. I would even think that atlantic city, nj being a gambling city would be critical on dj's. I have no problems there. I know many a guest dj's have performed there, especially during the dj conventions. In fact quite a few of the national dj's that did perform used their laptops with final scratch. I figure, there is no difference between final scratch and using the pioneer scratch cd players. Then if the pioneer scratch cd players are considered ok, why not the xp10's? Not much of a difference. We as virtual dj's are setting the standard, just as I did in my area 7 years ago by just starting to go all computer. I formed competitions in my club (excluding me from competing of course), and I had more people standing around watching me and hanging all over me because I was using a computer than the other jocks just flipping vinyl. I even did a short vinyl set just to prove to the "kids" that I can handle myself. As more and more clubs switch over to final scratch and or the pioneer cd players I think you will see the areas that lag behind in technology start to understand computer technology. Go the the dj shows around the country and you will see more and more computer stands, along with the scratchable cd stands. Us veteran computer dj users just have been ahead of the time. It is just a matter of time for more and more dj's to convert, and of course, it is important for the computer dj to present him/herself professionally and with professional equipment. It is all up to the individual tho. Whatever works for you and what you believe in.

Posted Sun 14 Dec 03 @ 8:55 pm
Doc Z - don't get me wrong. i definitely love this software and would be more than glad to switch from hauling around a crate that i can't fit half my reords into to a laptop that i could carry my whole collection on and then some.

to me the best thing about this software and computer dj'ing in general is that i don't have to cut dubplates of unreleased tracks anymore (my own or other producers...believe me i have spent thousand$$ on this over the years!) in order to spin them in a set. i hate cd dj'ing and never caught onto that wave so i've never had the opportunity to play the literally hundreds of tracks that i have that will never get cut to plastic.

if you really have the crowds of 2000 or more people on the floor and dancing and you are using VDJ to do it, then you would be crazy to switch back to vinyl. my inquiry was more about HOW you or anyone else went about switching over from records to computer dj'ing and what methods you used to convince promoters or your booking agency that it was the cool thing to do. i would love to be able to but i know i will lose jobs if i do. maybe i should move to atlanta....lol! :)

Posted Mon 15 Dec 03 @ 10:01 pm
Hey, no problem-o, colonelcobwebs. Good luck.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 03 @ 11:06 pm
^^ RIGHT ON THE BUTTON!!!

i'm sorry if i bashed 99% of the people here, but i'm just saying it the way it is as a promoter and DJ.

When it comes to electronica and it's various genres, you will not be looked at seriously mixing mp3 off a laptop and vdj, unless it's your own music.

The very odd person here (I.E. Doc Z) will get big gigs doing stuff with just a PC. But int the Club, Electronic and Underground music scene, you WILL be laughed at if it's not your own music.

Heck, the people here are even supporting this by forcing people to use certain songs for a mix. Doing so with a software that uses MP3's is encouraging not supporting the artists by purchasing their music

And THAT'S why people will also laugh at PC djs. Some of these kids are going on kazaa and downloading every song they may see on compilations or online record stores. They show up to a club with 500+ tracks they have'nt even paid for.

If you wanna use VDJ to play music you ripped from CD/records... i could care less. that's between you and the promoter. However, you CANNOT argue the fact that VDJ is making it easy for "everybody to be a dj". It's even a selling feature i've seen. Many of the users here are downloading their shit off Kazaa... weather they admit it or not.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 03 @ 4:54 pm
The difference between those Big national DJ's and most people using VDJ is that they are playing either an unreleased/original track and most people using VDJ are downloading off Kazaa.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 03 @ 4:57 pm
80%