Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: for all LapTop-DJs, this is my dream!!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm using for my DJ job a laptop, and my dream is it:
a USB mixer unit for DJs with this configuration:
- 2 exactly SOUNDED AUDIO OUTPUTS, which are used as computer outputs (over USB!!!!)
- 2 analog channel fader, x-fader and tidy EQs (efx can run over software in the host program)
- maybe a remote control for the DJ software (play/stop, cues, sync)
Hey Atomix team,
what you think about this?
Could you develop such a hardware device? I know,this is expensive and so on..., but that is the hit!!!
The laptops become ever cheaper and more efficiently, that is the future in the digital mixing!!!

best regards!!!

Posted Tue 27 Nov 01 @ 3:09 pm
Your dreams are reality right now! There are many usb sound modules for lap tops but the next step are firewire sound modules.
Filippo

Posted Tue 27 Nov 01 @ 6:55 pm
Try this:

a) a good mixer of your liking (pioneer, stanton, vestax, etc)
b) M-Audio USB AudioSport Quattro (see http://www.midiman.com)
c) AtomixMP3 on a P3 laptop, running Win2K
d) external light-sensor mouse
e) A decent keyboard macro program for hotkeys

^^ is what I use to mix outside my home

Posted Tue 27 Nov 01 @ 7:14 pm
buying an external mixer is really the way to go for getting level faders and etc etc. theres no way a small company like atomix could make a hardware control unit and produce it on a scale where it wouldnt cost a fortune.

seriously a laptop with multiout sound card, an external mixer and a cordless optical mouse that can work on any surface and your set.

and really atomix has enough keyboard shortcuts to let you use it without the mouse even, just takes some getting used to

Posted Tue 27 Nov 01 @ 11:50 pm
Very important thing is that this USB-unit must have two stereo (4mono) OUTPUTS.
The USB-devices now, they all have only 1 stereo out.A laptop and a USB-device will never sounds equal, and you can't use it professional with a external mixer.
It must be a all-in-one USB-device!!!!!

kepp it running....

Posted Thu 29 Nov 01 @ 5:43 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Oh, not true. I'm using a usb sound device as one sound card, and the sound card onboard my sony viao laptop as the other. True, I have to turn down the onboard sound card just a bit, but they both do indeed sound good, and match up great. In the one bar I play at, they have bands 3 nights a week. I plug the 2 stereo outputs (one from the usb device, and the other from my laptop) into a numark mixer, and output the mixer directly into a full blown band sound system, and an actual wall of speakers. I couldn't get away with anything but good sound in there as this system tells all. The usb sound adapter sounds just fine, very good in fact.

Rick

Posted Thu 29 Nov 01 @ 6:13 pm
there are a ton of multi out sounds cards for laptops

for usb theres the quattro and the emi 2/6,

for pmcia card slot theres wamibox, rme hammerfall, echo has a device to allow you to use a layla or darla24 and of course magma has their adaptor to let you use any pci card with a laptop

and then theres firewire with a few new 8in/out units coming out

Posted Thu 29 Nov 01 @ 10:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)