Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ADSL Splitter & Master Phone Socket

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When an ADSL splitter is fitted in your home, is it necessary to still keep the master telephone socket?

We have the phone line coming into our house and directly into the splitter. From there, one lead goes to the modem, and one to a slave socket for the phone. The master socket was taken off the wall and thrown away.

Since getting this installed our house phone has become unusable with loud shrill feedback and noise, would I be right in assuming this is because the idiotic phone engineer did not put the master socket back on the wall before/after(?) the splitter?

Would the ADSL still work even without the master socket clearing up the line?

Ours doesn't work and hasn't done since it was installed a month ago. Apparently they still have not connected us but will do by the 22nd July, (here's hoping) yesterday the ADSL status LED went from green (which it has been since the installation) to flashing amber. Possibly a sign they are connecting us?? Still flashing today...

Thanks

Posted Fri 20 Jul 01 @ 2:16 pm
papalokHome userMember since 2001
I don't know if DSL is the same as ADSL but here's some info anyway. What you need is a DSL phone line splittler/filter (not the technical term). It looks like a telephone line splitter but has one line-out for the DSL specifically and one line-out specifically filtering the DSL mess for the phone line. Call your provider and demand one since those punks didn't give you any. Also, all other house phones require a filter also to get rid of the DSL feedback. Hope this helps.
peace,
papalok

Posted Mon 23 Jul 01 @ 9:18 pm
From my knowledge, the "wall splitter" that replaced your original master socket is supposed to split the line (like one of those 2-line adapters that let you hook up 2 phones into 1 socket). However, it differs in that the socket where the DSL is supposed to connect to gets a unfiltered line signal. The socket where the phone is supposed to go, is a filtered line, so you get no unwanted line noise from the DSL signal itself. If your getting line noise as you stated, you have something wrong there. Either A: the phone and DSL modem are hooked in the wrong sockets, flip them around; or B: the new "wall splitter" was wired incorrectly. If B, switch the phone and DSL line around and see if you still have line noise on the phone. If you do, that splitter may be nothing more then a simple splitter and has no filtered socket for the phone. You can pick up a DSL line filter at your local Radio Shack and plug it right into the phone line (NOT the DSL line). That sould completely clear up the line noise if all else fails.

Posted Thu 26 Jul 01 @ 1:20 pm
Thanks to both of you. The splitter has two marked outputs, one for the phone and one for the adsl line. They are connected correctly. I think that the phone output must be unfiltered, acting only as a frequency splitter. I have found lots of american websites offering phone filters but none closer to home (Spain). I would like to buy from the UK but cannot find any suppliers on the net.

Anyway, it doesn't matter for now, our ADSL that never worked has now been disconnected by the phone company as apparently the local box wasn't supplying our area with good quality signal and so has been turned off till they fit a new adsl friendly one. They should take them another 7 months or so...

Posted Sat 28 Jul 01 @ 5:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)