Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Do not play flag for twitch
Twitch has the DJ program, https://www.twitch.tv/dj-program - to get in, you just have to agree to avoid their restricted tracks, and their list of restricted tracks is pretty small, but to be sure and double check track by track can be tedious, it would be nice to have a feature that turns on when you go into broadcast mode on twitch the database links up with VDJ playlist and you can see inside the VDJ playlists what tracks are restricted on twitch. - like the track turns red or something - Would save so much time and anxiety about getting copyright strikes by accident.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 24 @ 4:28 pm
You could create a filter folder based on the restricted list, using terms like 'artist is not Madonna' and 'artist is not Prince' (etc)...

They do say though, that the list is "not a definitive resource" and that you should be checking for artists that you ARE permitted to play (but that list is not visible, only searchable).

They also say that if you play anything that's either restricted OR not in the "allowed" list then it's at your own risk - so before we perform, we're supposed to search online in advance, track by track, to see if all the artists we want to play are allowed???

That's highly impractical and unlikely to happen. DJs like to freestyle. I know that already some Twitch DJs have deliberately played from the restricted list.

I think these lists are probably more of a contractual obligation thing.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 24 @ 4:57 pm
Good points and thanks for the great tip for search feature - I'm still learning the finer points of VDJ.

I'm sure the variables are less likely since the bots would probably just search for whats on their database, I would imagine it would be more dangerous for a popular / influencer type dj that has a large audience and major labels / lawyers watching and ready to file a claim for PR reasons - that's the real variable that makes it risky beyond the "contractual" bot, I think.

edit - besides I was also thinking this could make VDJ the go to software for the twitch-dj program which would be nice. - my friend uses another software, and just hooking up to twitch to stream was a bit of convoluted process....vdj is in a unique spot here both in easy hook up and the visual options.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 24 @ 5:10 pm
Yes it's just so convenient to stream directly via VDJ, but we do unfortunately lose out on the overlays that are used so often with OBS.

Twitch is kind of the opposite to YouTube in that it's based around live streams rather than stored videos, and in the four or so years I've been using it, I've never heard of a DJ's live stream being muted or disconnected.

The copyright strikes have only come from stored video (VODs) which are not permitted in the DJ category anyway.

We will see what happens as we go forward, but I don't think there's much to worry about.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 24 @ 5:35 pm
ya may not lose out much on the overlays as much as you think though, not everyone wants to pretend like they are dj'ng at a festival jumping around in their bedrooms turning their knobs aggressively for 4 hours lol, I'm also a graphic artist / animator, so I'm having fun showing animations, renders, and gen ai images for my stream, with the text feature going across advertising my merch shop and website and random gibberish lol, i'm thinking more an mtv like approach than the tiesto live thing. I'm happy to show the vdj logo in my screen, makes me feel like i'm a part of something tbh lol. "The VDJ Army" has a nice ring to it. :)

Posted Wed 14 Aug 24 @ 6:05 pm
Anirhythm wrote :
turning their knobs aggressively

LOL I saw one DJ doing exactly that yesterday!

If she wasn't doing the big gestures with her arms then she was typing on her keyboard. I swear she was spending half the time sticking her elbows out and the other half typing.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 24 @ 6:21 pm
I think you should just play like before, and see what happens. Nobody is going to check their entire track list against their lists

I never use OBS when streaming. I find that VDJ video streaming with all it's features can do all I need regarding graphics and overlays
Here is an example:

Posted Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 1:32 am