Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Modular Screens - a new way to DJ
Hi everyone,

I'm excited to share an idea that's been brewing in my mind for a while now.. for years actually.. and I have no idea why no one has done this yet.... I've discussed it with many fellow DJs and they agree.
After hearing that Virtual DJ developers are open to user suggestions (from the DJ subreddit), I thought this would be the first place I propose it. I like to be able to DJ with serato, traktor, virtual DJ and even deckadance and mixxx because I believe that flexibility is key to success. It would be great to see virtual DJ implement this idea because Virtual DJ is very innovative with its features. Its a highly under rated DJ program, never getting the praise it deserves. When people think DJ programs they think traktor and serato for the most part. Im a huge fan of Virtual DJ and It would be amazing if this idea gets put into it

Imagine a DJ program with modular components, allowing you to move different parts of your DJ interface around your screen—or even better, across multiple screens. With the power of modern GPUs, this idea is not only feasible but could significantly enhance the DJing experience.

Here’s the vision:

Modern laptops and desktops are equipped with powerful graphics cards capable of supporting multiple displays. Most laptops have HDMI and VGA ports, while newer models come with Thunderbolt and DisplayPort, allowing for even more screens. Desktops, with their advanced graphics cards, can support multiple 8K displays, providing immense flexibility.

What we can have is a new way to DJ: Ergonomic, Efficient, and Effective DJing...
Imagine having a 36" screen dedicated solely to your waveform, positioned centrally above your mixer. Below it, you could have another large screen for your library, making track selection seamless. On either side, above your physical turntables or CDJs, 21" screens display your virtual decks, showing track information, timers, key, and BPM. You could even add another screen for your virtual mixer. For those who prefer, touch screens could also be an option, adding another layer of interactivity.

This modular and customizable display setup would revolutionize how DJs interact with their software, making it more intuitive and tailored to individual workflows. Drawing inspiration from DAWs like FL Studio, where producers can spread their channel rack, playlist, piano roll, mixer, and VSTs across multiple screens, this approach could bring the same level of customization to DJing.

Not every DJ will use this feature, but those who do will undoubtedly stand out. It's about creating a setup that enhances your performance, making it more ergonomic and visually appealing.

I believe this modular, multi-screen approach is the future, and I cant wait to see it implemented.. and it will be implemented. the question is who will do it first?

Posted 4 days ago @ 3:49 pm
This sounds like a natural extension to multiscreen support + skinning, and it does work/appeal to some use cases/users, and would gladly welcome it being implemented.

However I'm a little bit skeptical of it being the future, given the way the industry is going currently (the opposite direction) - trying to almost do away with the heavy extras (e.g. laptops and more screens), and having everything more situated towards the hardware required for manipulation (e.g. advanced preparation software + devices which show the stuff you need + give controls + access music/database directly off media, small tablets if a computer is a must).
I'm almost certain multi-screen support has been thought of already, but not to the extent of component selection per screen, (and wireless interfacing with monitors are they become available can be included in this too). Curious to hear what others/the devs think though.

btw, using multiple instances of the VirtualDJ Remote, with each instance focused on different things, might actually achieve the result you want, albeit in a different (and perhaps more expensive) way.

Posted 4 days ago @ 4:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
VirtualDJ skins do support creating multiple windows and dragging them around, so you can already do that.

Posted 4 days ago @ 4:23 pm
Adion has already answered it correctly.
I work with VDJ with a total of 6 screens. It works great.
I will soon upload a video to YouTube in which you can see how I work.

Posted 4 days ago @ 5:10 pm

Posted 4 days ago @ 5:41 pm