Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Device Specific Settings
I use VDJ with a couple of different setups (Mac Only for prep/testing mixes & blends, Rane 70/12s, and DDJ-SX2). Each of these different configurations necessitates slightly different settings. As far as audio settings (input/output), I have the setups saved so that when I plug in the device, I just click the saved setup, and the audio configuration pops up.

However, for the purpose of this example, when I use the Mac Only or the SX2, I need my effects to be post-fader, as I use internal effects. However, when I use the 70/12s, my effects need to be pre-fader. Furthermore, my jog settings differ slightly between the SX2 and the 70/12s.

Is there a way that I can have these per-device settings saved so that I can one click load them, similar to the way the different audio profiles are loaded?

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 3:00 pm
A few people have asked over the years to be able to save and use more than one settings profile but it's never been implemented.

I use 3 machines and have to make sure the settings.xml file is not synced between them and kept for that device only.

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 3:23 pm
Yes, I'd vote for that. It's a good idea.

Maybe have a way to link the general settings to the audio config, so that when you plug in a controller (which gets detected for audio and mapping) the other settings load with it.

Denon have 'profiles', which you can set to your own personal choices and then save. You can take this with you, so even when using someone else's Prime unit, it detects the profile and asks if you want to use it.

I'm sure many of us have multiple controllers, so it would make things simpler for sure.

(I think there have been third party utils to switch settings.xml etc. but access to those has now been removed.)

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 3:32 pm
If your settings are always controller specific, you could put your modified settings in the device's ONINIT mapping. For example,setting "fxProcessing" 1 sets fx post-fader, use 0 for pre-fader. Use & to add more setting commands for your jog or other settings.

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 4:18 pm
yes was going to suggest... stringing list of settings changes, in the controllers ONINIT

one can also set a variable to indicate which controllers are connected,
by setting a variable in the controllers ONINIT..
(could be useful with later, shared scripts, to easily query with which controllers are connected, if different actions are needed in different situations.)

and there are also, queries is_mac and is_pc for the KB(or controller) ONINIT

for something like:
is_mac ? setting "fxProcessing" 1 & setting 'NewOption' 0 & etc : is_pc ? setting "fxProcessing" 0 & setting 'NewOption' 1 & etc : nothing

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 4:48 pm
Hmm....Didn't think about the ONINIT option. If I understand correctly, it's a one-time setup, then it performs those actions every time the controller is recognized, right? I understand the general concept of scripting, but am not proficient in it, so this may take some time...bear with me, as I may come back with more questions.

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 6:07 pm
Yes that's correct. The command is invoked when the controller is detected.

For example on my DJ2GO2 this enables EQ10 when the controller is connected

deck master effect "EQ10" active

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 6:08 pm
All viable, and shows how versatile VDJ is...............but not as convenient as having a built in option to save configs.

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 6:11 pm
groovindj wrote :
All viable, and shows how versatile VDJ is...............but not as convenient as having a built in option to save configs.

I agree with this 110%. I like being able to do this because of how versatile and customizable the software is. But it would be TERRIFIC if it were literally as easy as the audio config.

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 6:13 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Yes that's correct. The command is invoked when the controller is detected.

For example on my DJ2GO2 this enables EQ10 when the controller is connected

deck master effect "EQ10" active

Ahhhhh....makes sense. Let me turn on my brain and try to write a few scripts.

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 6:14 pm