Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How to delete a file from multiple playlists to avoid broken entries.
seanPRO InfinityMember since 2018
If I delete a file in a playlist (VDJ 2024 "List") that file still appears in other playlists and shows as missing. How do I delete a file and remove it from all playlists so I don't end up with broken entries?

Using "Remove missing files from search DB" removes it from the search DB but not the playlists. I feel like I'm missing something obvious?

Here's a video to show the issue in action:

Posted Wed 15 May 24 @ 8:43 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can use search_playlists to look for the other lists the file appears in, but you'd still need to remove it from each manually.

Posted Wed 15 May 24 @ 9:20 am
I'll make sure I use search_playlists from now on when I'm deleting files. Unfortunately I have a bit of a mess to clean up in the meantime. Would love to add this as a feature request. Most competitors handle this smoothly. Deleting the physical file on disk from inside VDJ would indicate the user wants it to gone from all playlists as well.

Posted Wed 15 May 24 @ 9:54 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Could you elaborate on when you'd want that?

The most common case for deleting the physical file would be if it got corrupted or you want to replace it with a better quality version I think, in which case it would be good to still have a reference to the song in the playlists so you can see when you want to replace it.

Even if you think you wouldn't play a certain song anymore, I think often you'd still just have forgotten that it was actually a good song sometimes for a specific event, so having the song still listed in a playlist you didn't think about might still also be useful.

Posted Wed 15 May 24 @ 10:02 am
I often (weekly almost) find a much better remix/redrum of a song and realize I'll never play that old remix again because the new one is so much better so instead of leaving a file around that I'll never play I delete it.

I don't always have to replace it in all playlists it was originally in because maybe the style of the new remix means it belongs in different playlists. And most of my songs are only in a single playlist so I'm often not thinking about where else this remix is located.

Coming from Traktor a year ago I was unaware of this difference in Virtual DJ so I've made a bit of a mess not checking search_playlists every time I delete a file, just gotta change my workflow.

Posted Wed 15 May 24 @ 10:40 am
Apologies for piggy-backing on another question but seems related

Would someone please explain `search_playlists` feature mentioned above?

I used to be able to search through my .m3u playlist files using a simple filesystem search utility, but now that ability is gone with virtual folders

Posted Thu 13 Jun 24 @ 12:08 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It's a script that calls a function, call the script from a custom_button.

Posted Thu 13 Jun 24 @ 12:23 am