Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is Modern Standby part of the reason we see new windows laptops with performance problems?
I just watched a new Mojaxx video, and noticed this statement from XMG, that was included.
(XMG are (were) the makers of expensive Windows laptops optimized for DJing (their XMG DJ series)):

So XMG won't currently build Windows based laptops for DJ'ing (or other audio processing), because they can't promise that they can optimize the laptops for DJing/Audio. Since making expensive optimized laptops is what they do for a living (for DJing, recording, producing, gaming and so on), this must be kind of a big deal for them

So it got me thinking

We are currently seeing brand new and extremely well powered Windows laptops having issues with audio stuttering or dropouts, and often a Latency Monitor will tell us that it's something like Wdf01000.sys or ACPI.sys causing it
We then suggest following the optimization guides, and that is of course always a good idea

But could it be the same thing causing it? Is this new "Modern Standby" features one of the things we are battling when we try to optimize new Windows laptops for DJing?

A bit more general info on Windows Modern Standby:
https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-modern-standby-flaws/
https://www.minitool.com/news/modern-standby.html

Posted Tue 26 Mar 24 @ 2:38 pm
My laptop is a 2023 model with 13th gen i9 and it doesn't support modern standby. It uses Standby (S3) which is a different thing (apparently).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby-vs-s3

You can check the power state by typing powercfg /a in an elevated command prompt.

Most latency issues are either bad device drivers or power management issues (ACPI.SYS). There are some tweaks that can me done to lower latency but unfortunately some machines just can't be used for DJ work due to unavoidable pops and crackles.

When I got my i9 machine the latency was not great, spiking in to the red, but now it's far better after optimization. The one I use for my DJ gigs is a mid range Yoga i7 from 2019 and although the latency monitor isn't as good there are no sound issues using Denon ASIO drivers whatsoever.

It's a total minefield unfortunately but I've seen a greatly increased amount of posts on this subject lately so definitely worth a discussion.

Posted Tue 26 Mar 24 @ 2:54 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I don't really see how Modern Standby would be related at all. It's a new power state for a different standby mode, but that is irrelevant when the computer is in use.
From the article you posted:
Quote :
When your display device turns off, the internal components may stay on, for example, the network connection stays active to perform backend operations.

So unless there is a way to keep music playback enabled during this standby, I don't see how it is related to active use of a pc, as would be the case when using software such as VirtualDJ

Posted Tue 26 Mar 24 @ 4:11 pm
Some people are complaining of bad latency when the laptop is recovered from sleep, however I would guess most people using VDJ at a gig would be booting from off state anyway.

Posted Tue 26 Mar 24 @ 4:24 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I can't say how accurate this is these days, but if you're wanting the freshest of machine states you should be booting from a reset.

Posted Tue 26 Mar 24 @ 4:31 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Personally my laptop only reboots for updates, other times it will be awaken from Standby or Hibernate.
Never noticed a difference regarding latency or dropouts either.

Posted Tue 26 Mar 24 @ 4:44 pm
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I think that all these "standby" attempts are tries to approach the philosophy of macs wtih the power delivery...
...they still have a lot to develop though...

Posted Tue 26 Mar 24 @ 4:54 pm
Yes Macs handle the whole thing so much better indeed.

My son can simply close his Macbook Air M1 and go back to where it left off a week later and only a few percent battery down.

Posted Tue 26 Mar 24 @ 4:58 pm