Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Use precomputed stems in 32-bit version
This might seem like a niche wish, but it could be handy in some situations and should be fairly easy to implement:
Add the ability to use precomputed stems (1.0 and 2.0) in the 32-bit version.
Playback of precomputed stems is not resource hungry and doesn't need any special algorithms. So it should be feasible on Windows 7 or 8.1 as well (32 bit or 64 bit). Many users store their music on external drives and with the resource hungry stems 2.0, more and more users choose to precompute and store the stems on the same drive. If you are in an emergency during a gig and use an older backup computer, you should be able to plug in your external drive and use the available precomputed stems, just like with the 64-bit version.

Has the support ever considered this possibility, is it more difficult to implement than I assume, or do you want to push all users towards to 64-bit version (which I also use) to end support for the 32-bit version as soon as possible?

Posted Thu 28 Sep 23 @ 8:11 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Stems do require more memory, and loading precomputed stems requires a little extra cpu power too, so if your computer is that old that it can't be upgraded to windows 10 then it's unlikely that even precomputed stems will work fine

Posted Thu 28 Sep 23 @ 9:53 am
Hi Adion, I understand your point. All my PCs that I use for DJing are running Windows 10 64-bit and precomputed stems are working just fine, even on my very old Core2Duo Backup Notebook (from Windows Vista area). So I don't actually need the 32-bit Version.
I just recently thought about this topic and find it rather unfortunate that stems are completely missed out in this version. I assume that the program code to play back precomputed stems, which are basically just compressed aac files, could be reused 1:1 in the 32-bit version. So why not give it a try...?

Posted Fri 29 Sep 23 @ 3:38 pm
So, if you have installed 64bit Windows 10 on your machines, why do you need VirtualDJ 32 bit ?
At this point, 32 bit version is meant to be used only by extremely old systems that can't upgrade their OS to 64 bit.
I mean. even if you can "upgrade" a PC to Windows 7 64 bit, there's no reason to use the 32bit version of VirtualDJ.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 11:03 pm
Can the 64-bit version still be used with Windows 8.1 and 7 x64? I had in mind that since the integration of stems, which can only be calculated in Windows 10 x64, all other Windows versions (whether x86 or x64) have to use the 32-bit version of VDJ.

If these systems can still use the 64-bit version and take advantage of stems (only precomputed?), then there 's no need to precomputed stems in the 32-bit version. :) Currently I don't have an Windows 7 or 8 x64 system ready to try it out myself...

Posted Fri 06 Oct 23 @ 11:53 am
There was a hack where you could install the 32 bit version to Windows 8.1 then swap out the exe with the 64 bit one.

Used to work for me but that was a while ago.

The newer versions with stems probably means that won't work any more.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 23 @ 12:02 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you don't even have such a system yourself, this entire requests sounds rather hypothetical.
Note that Windows 8.1 is EOL since beginning of this year, and Windows 7 has been EOL since beginning of 2020.
I also still don't think there's many computers that can't upgrade to Windows 10 but would still have enough ram and cpu power even for just using precomputed stems.
Finally while the 32-bit version is still being maintained for now, there are no plans to keep it up to date with new features.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 23 @ 1:10 pm