Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: UNDO - the most BASIC feature missing from every DJ application
Seriously. How can every bloody program that's ever existed have an UNDO and DJ apps still haven't figured it out.

Accidentally bump a hotcue or the play button, destroying your beat matching and your phrasing. No worries UNDO.

Loaded a song into the wrong active deck (because you forgot to lock it or you just ignored the lock warning). No worries, UNDO

You hit the tap button and now it's buggered up your grids... UNDO

Had a complex and long effects chain that you accidentally added the wrong beat amount to UNDO

It's should be OK to make mistakes as a DJ, even live. But without UNDO so many people don't even try to get creative or do more experimental stuff.

There is not a set I play where I wouldn't kill for just a basic undo, let alone a dynamic or advanced undo.

I mean ffs it's 2023. We have AI Stems came out in 2020 and still no way to just unf*ck a train wreck mix.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 9:23 pm
For the most part of what you describe, an undo is useless.
Once you make the mistake "live" (and it's heard through your speakers) there's no turning back, nor a nice way to "save it"
Better just cut off the mix, learn to deal with it (as everybody makes mistakes) and move on.
That's why every DJ application and every DJ gear (which is basically a dedicated computer these days running proprietary software) does not include an "UNDO" function.
It's one of those features that's good on paper, but doesn't work out that great in real case usage.

I agree that some parts (like the BPM Editor) could possibly use an undo function.

However for everything that has to do with your live playback sound, it's useless.

Posted Tue 19 Sep 23 @ 11:32 am
gvastePRO InfinityMember since 2019
- grid editor
- pois editor
- scripting
- mapping editor

these options are core and doesn't have undo, that would be great and i never understand it why it works like that nowadays.

Posted Tue 19 Sep 23 @ 1:00 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
because it adds a layer of bloat everywhere and huge chunks of the program have to be rewritten. Restore from backup covers all those cases.

Posted Tue 19 Sep 23 @ 1:09 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
For the mapping editor, simply close it and select No to not save it to revert back to the last saved version
For bpm editor, click the dot and select 're-analyze' to go back to the original automatically detected grid.
Poi editor I'm not sure what kind of accidental mistakes you could make, it would only be moving a single poi back to it's place?
Scripting, I agree that a basic ctrl-z in text fields in general could probably be useful

For loading the wrong song to a deck, you could map undo_load

Posted Tue 19 Sep 23 @ 1:21 pm