Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Random momentary pausing on new M2 Mac Mini
I just bought an M2 Mac Mini a couple of weeks ago and I’m finding it’s actually struggling more than my old i7 laptop. I DJ long sets in a club with videos for up to 10 hours at a time and while previously I had maybe a dozen files stem separated now I’m using real time.

What I’m finding is on loading of tracks, even ones that are already prepped. There’s often a delay of up to 5 or 10 seconds before VDJ will respond again, especially with being able to play the track I’ve just loaded or adjusting the pitch etc on either deck. I’ve also been getting momentary pauses in playback at random times when I’ve done nothing at all for a couple of minutes, these pauses are about half a second long but still enough to affect the show.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can try to resolve these issues?

Posted Sun 20 Aug 23 @ 3:38 am
I'm on an M1 and have never encountered this, also using videos and stems for long periods of time.

The only thing I can think is are you perhaps using external storage? The delay could be from that. Opening files tends to be a blocking operation and VDJ may have to wait for an external hard drive to spin up and respond with the file data for very large files.

Posted Sun 20 Aug 23 @ 9:29 am
On M1 Pro Macbook here, MacOS Ventura.

I had an anomaly that caused waveforms to stutter and some unresponsiveness... for some reason my skinFPS was set at 120... maybe I made a type, dunno, but set that to 30 and skin runs really smooth again. Also I set my latency to a fixed value... at 0 it's supposed to figure it out itself, but I got frequent pops when enabling/disabling stemFX. Giving it a fixed value solved that, currently at 200 samples.

On Demand Stems are done in a second or 2 for song 3-7 mins.

I did see a video somewhere that with certain sizes of SSD there will only be one SSD chip, which will make the SSD slower... so in the past Apple used to put 2x 128GB if you ordered a 256 for example. But now put one 256GB chip. In the 2x128GB configuration data can be read from both at the same time, but in one chip setup it will take twice as long...

Posted Tue 22 Aug 23 @ 7:10 pm
I use a 2022 14" M1 MacBook Pro and found that;
videoFPS=120
recordingFPS=30
skinFPS=60
and Promotion enabled are the best settings for my system.

Others found Promotion was the cause of display stuttering, but mine is fine.

My Systems Specs;
Main - M1 MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2022), Apple Silicon M1 Pro, 16gb, 500gb SSD, macOS Ventura 13.5.1, VirtualDJ EA v2023-m b7617.

Posted Wed 23 Aug 23 @ 5:48 am
What is "Promotion" option?
I don't see it...
Is it Mac specific?

Or is it like the old in-store option, where you could lock he system down so customers couldn't change the settings?

Posted Wed 23 Aug 23 @ 7:29 am
Pro Motion, it's an automatic display refresh rate.

Posted Wed 23 Aug 23 @ 12:27 pm
Just realised I haven’t checked in for a while.
My files are on high speed external ssd (Crucial X8 and Sandisk Extreme Pro)
I’ve also recently started getting a momentary pause in the music.
Being a Mac Mini I can’t disable Bluetooth as I’m using the wireless keyboard and trackpad setup.

I’m going to try adjusting the other settings for this weekend but would ideally like to keep the WiFi on at all times as I often grab extra tracks on the fly.

As with many others, my old I7 laptop didn’t have any of these issues but was getting a little too unreliable after a few too many drink spills from drunk patrons in the club

Posted Wed 20 Sep 23 @ 2:01 am
I had a M2 Max Macbook Pro on release but had issues with music momentarily skipping and cutting out.

I tried literally everything but couldn't cure the issue so went back to my reliable i7 Lenovo C940

The one thing I never tried was disabling the wifi or bluetooth as I use both, but why should you have to on such an expensive powerful machine?

Posted Wed 20 Sep 23 @ 5:53 am
For me, the random music skip issue on my M2 was solved by turning off the wifi. (I can not use TIDAL. :( )
Since then, the vdj has worked flawlessly.

Posted Wed 20 Sep 23 @ 1:51 pm
You could try an external WiFi dongle with different drivers?

Posted Wed 20 Sep 23 @ 4:15 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
You could try an external WiFi dongle with different drivers?

I'll try it. ;)

Posted Thu 21 Sep 23 @ 1:22 pm
The mid song random pause has not happened for the last couple of weeks since I turned off WiFi. Not ideal but I’m guessing there is something in Mac OS that prioritizes resources to WiFi at random and hasn’t been compensated for in VDJ as yet

Posted Wed 25 Oct 23 @ 7:59 am
It's the other way round. MacOs has an issue with resources.

Posted Wed 25 Oct 23 @ 8:07 am
We will have to try it on Sonoma OS. How much ram is in the Mac mini?

Posted Wed 25 Oct 23 @ 9:23 am