Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: New Script Verbs for Clearing Debug Output and Variable List: debug_clear & var_list_clear
I'd like to propose the addition of two new script verbs to enhance the debugging experience when scripting:

debug_clear: This verb would clear all output statements in the debug window. It would be immensely helpful for script developers to have a clean slate without needing to restart VirtualDJ.

var_list_clear: Similarly, a verb to clear the var_list would be beneficial. As we accumulate variables during script testing, being able to clear them without a restart would streamline the development process.

These verbs would greatly improve the efficiency and clarity of the debugging process. I believe many in the community would benefit from these additions.

Posted Sat 19 Aug 23 @ 7:33 pm
Hi locodog,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried the repeat_start_instant 'clearDebug' 50ms 20 & debug "" script, and while it does send empty strings to the debug output, it still displays multiple "Text:" lines in the debug window:
Text:
Text:
Text:
... etc.

Visually, it would be more intuitive if the debug window is actually emptied. Additionally, when debugging text output, it can be confusing to determine whether the script outputted empty text or if nothing happened at all.

Regarding the crash action verb for resetting the var_list, I find it's not an ideal solution. While it does restart VirtualDJ, it's a bit excessive just to clear the var_list. I don't necessarily need the values of the variables to be deleted/reset, as the crash verb does by restarting VirtualDJ. My primary objective is to verify if modifications to a script affect the variable values. Clearing the var_list would simplify this verification. Currently, if a script breaks and the var_list remains unchanged, it gives a false impression that everything is functioning correctly when it's not. Being able to clear the var_list would make this easier without the need for a complete restart.

Posted Sun 20 Aug 23 @ 5:51 pm