Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Additional field in Track Info Display on Decks for Pro skin
rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi,
I use Pro skin and add some important info in the "Artist" field before the Artist info
so I can see those infos of the song that is "playing" on the deck.
ex. "6@@@L#vom&Fade Artist" (lots of info crammed in this string and it's good to see them all on the playing deck. You probably can guess what infos are in this string example already. Oh yes, I hijacked the rating field for something else not Rating and not Engergy-level; also very good to see how the song ends in the playing deck)

Problems are:
1) hard to insert same info (ex. 6@@@) before different Artists in group/batch ;
2) In the browser, songs can no longer be sorted by the "real" Artists info;
3) In the browser, the column width problably not wide enough to display Artist info).

I may again hijack the label / grouping field to put real Artist info in them that may solve the above problem. New coming batch will be easy but for the songs already in database, will be very very hard to extract the "real" Artist info.

Will be great if 1 additional field can be displayed before the "Artist" field in Track Info Display on Deck. The field could be Label or Grouping.

Kindly consider.

Best Regards
Richard Artimix

]

Posted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 7:35 am
There may be more then one solution.

Do not know which Tag fields you wish to use.

Here are 2 possible solutions:

1) The simplest solution would be to create a custom button, like below, next to/under the track, on each deck:

Then the comment of (6@@@) of the loaded track would be displayed on the custom button.
(and illuminated when there is a track loaded)

Note: using this same idea, one could display other tag fields in adjacent custom buttons.. so all that you wish to view for a loaded track, is visible.

-------------
2) very do-able but more work, is to modify the XML file, of which ever skin you are using.

Search for "title_area" in the skins xml..
and modify/add .. say with get_comment , to add the additional info to the skin, in the deck info area.
(will need to do that for all decks)

Do you occasionally run out of space for all the info you wish to display, when there are long or multiple artists, using the method you described?

If not then there would be space for all you wish to display there.

-----------------
the starting point to learn more about skins is:

Skin Developer SDK

https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Skin%20SDK

------------------------
UPDATE:
A 3rd way would be to add a long skin button just above the deck's platter, to display the info you wish, so as not to interfere with the Deck info area.

Posted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 8:53 am
rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
There may be more then one solution.

Do not know which Tag fields you wish to use.

Here are 2 possible solutions:

1) The simplest solution would be to create a custom button, like below, next to/under the track, on each deck:

Then the comment of (6@@@) of the loaded track would be displayed on the custom button.
(and illuminated when there is a track loaded)

Note: using this same idea, one could display other tag fields in adjacent custom buttons.. so all that you wish to view for a loaded track, is visible.

-------------

Thanks for your reply.
I've tried solution 1 but not successful, button name does not change. However even if it does change, it will not be wide enough to hold the whole string ex. "6@@@L#vom&Fade".

I'm not good at modifying skin so I'm still hoping VDJ development team may consider to include the "Label" or "Grouping" field in front of "Artist" field in Track Info Display on Decks for Pro skin.

Thanks again

Best Regards

Posted Fri 28 Jul 23 @ 10:05 am
yes there may not be enough space to display all the code you use.
(think something like 7 uppercase or 10 lowercase characters, per custom button name)
(which is is typical/average, for example: one can get more "I"s on a button name.)

NOTE: one needs to use the "backtick" (to the left of the #1 key on most keyboards) to enclose the, get_album, for the custom button name.
try:
`get_album`

for the custom button name.

and sure you may have thought of the workaround, of spreading your code across 2 tags and using 2 custom buttons to display the longer code.
(until you or VDJ decides to mod the skin)

Tested and yes
6@@@L# will fit one button name
and
vom&Fade would fit on a 2nd button name

rprado wrote :
I'm not good at modifying skin

Just wanted to mention, that everyone was once NOT good at modifying skins.

There are many resources here and ppl who can assist with questions.

And once you make one mod.. only your imagination.. limits what one can accomplish.

Posted Fri 28 Jul 23 @ 1:01 pm